Gransnet forums

AIBU

to object to how much TV coverage the Olympics are getting?

(128 Posts)
Craftycat Tue 02-Aug-16 19:52:49

I've just looked at next week's Radio Times & in a nutshell BBC are showing nothing but the Olympics all day & every day!OK-I'm not a big fan of watching people run, jump, row etc & I appreciate a lot of people love it BUT does it have to be blanket coverage! There are only a few odd programmes on BBC 4 later every evening not sport related.
We've only just had all that dratted football- luckily we were abroad for the last 2 weeks of it- but it does seem as if sport is the be all & end all these days. Now I love my rugby (2 hours a week on an outside channel during winter months if we are lucky)& I quite like men's tennis so watch a bit of Wimbledon (not on 2 channels at the same time).
However IMHO this is far too much. I never usually watch commercial TV live but record it & whizz through adverts but I may resort to watching it live for 2 weeks.
Luckily I have some very good books on my Kindle too.
Roll on the closing ceremony- I do like a bit of samba!

rubylady Sun 07-Aug-16 03:33:57

The Paralympics are after the main Olympics, aren't they?

I will watch some bits, Tom Daley diving and our own Jason Kenny. Plus little Nicola Adams, she's lovely.

But there isn't much on apart from the Olympics, Eastenders is still on so that's ok. grin

BlueBelle Sun 07-Aug-16 06:48:46

I m bored already

I don't hate sport I don't begrudge people having the olypics on tv I may dip into bits of it but it shouldn't be wall to wall coverage It should be contained on one channel and the rest carry on as normal for all the non sporty types

Last night was awful not a thing on resorted to radio which was... guess what Olympics

cornergran Sun 07-Aug-16 06:57:27

Agree totally bluebell, something for everyone would be good.

GandTea Sun 07-Aug-16 07:13:51

Loved the coverage. Some great Judo, boxing, archery etc.

Bring it on.

Jane10 Sun 07-Aug-16 07:15:58

My heart sinks as soon as the olympics is mentioned. I couldn't be less interested. I don't understand why its not possible for the BBC to just have one channel for sport and leave other one(s) for the usual mix of dramas, documentaries and soaps.
The end results of the olympics are fatally compromised by the outcome of the doping scandals anyway. Bah! angry

sunseeker Sun 07-Aug-16 07:51:00

I too can't understand why it is necessary to have sport on all the channels, people can only watch one channel at a time! I have bought in several box sets and DVDs which I will be watching, but why should I have to. I know people say it is only a few weeks every four years but it's not is it? If its not the Olympics its football or cricket or tennis, fine for those who enjoy sport but what about those of us who find it totally boring - we pay our licence fee too.

GandTea Sun 07-Aug-16 07:57:09

I shall be recording two channels and watching a third (red button)

sunseeker Sun 07-Aug-16 08:01:27

So, in effect, GandTea I am subsidising your viewing pleasure!

Badenkate Sun 07-Aug-16 08:09:19

If you like the minority sports then most of those are covered on the red button if you have it. We watched almost all of the men's cycling yesterday - counting the bodies strew across the road sad

NfkDumpling Sun 07-Aug-16 08:20:31

DH wanted to watch the start of the evenings coverage yesterday to see how Thingamebob got on in the cycling. First came the animated advert, then Claire telling us all the different ways we could watch the Olympics, then what live events they'd be covering, then the highlights. By this time I'd got bored and wandered off and he was reading the paper and we still don't know where Whathisname who was supposed to be our great hope came!

Back to Radio Four!

GandTea Sun 07-Aug-16 08:20:48

Sunseeker, yep smile

Getting my own back for all the soaps, rom coms, period dramas etc.

Anniebach Sun 07-Aug-16 08:28:20

I dislike soaps so avoid eastenders, Holby City, Casualty, , house buying/renovating/decorating programmes, all cooking programmes and quite a few more programmes just as boring for me. I too pay the licence fee

GandTea Sun 07-Aug-16 08:37:16

Have you seen that you will need a TV licence even if you do not have a TV. This is due to the programs being available on PC's etc via catch-up. Anyone wish to be exempt if they never use catch-up, must apply for exemption. Over 75's will still be free. This change comes in next month.

GandTea Sun 07-Aug-16 08:39:20

AnnieBach, what do you watch then ?

Christinefrance Sun 07-Aug-16 08:39:39

Yes Jane10 why can't they have a separate channel, not beyond the wit of man is it. Other channels showing repeats etc. Don't mind watching a little of Olympics but blanket coverage - no.
At least I have chance to catch up on chores and extra reading, what are other non sporty people doing ?

gettingonabit Sun 07-Aug-16 08:53:47

I don't mind the coverage, but I agree that it should be confined to one channel plus red button, say.

I enjoyed the cycling yesterday and watched the race beginning to end.

What I really dislike though is the bits where the sport isn't actually on, which is filled with inconsequential drivel. Is it really necessary to have Inverdale AND Redgrave at the rowing? Balding, Foster AND Adlington at the swimming?

I must admit to a very deep admiration for Michael Johnson though. A really knowledgeable man. I could listen to him all day. He's the only one who's actually worth listening to, imho.

M0nica Sun 07-Aug-16 09:27:39

If you do not like what is on tv why not just do something else instead? Surely everyone has other interests and occupations to fill their time and it is an opportunity to give them your full attention without competition from the television.

sunseeker Sun 07-Aug-16 09:31:30

GandTea I don't watch soaps, rom coms or period drams. I enjoy documentaries, factual historical programmes and crime series. I'm not saying don't show the sport, just consider those of us who don't enjoy it.

Anniebach Sun 07-Aug-16 09:54:53

GrandTea, not a lot, dislike daytime tv, watch the news, BBC parliament , Question Time, Pointless and some documentaries , so am a happy bunny now the Olympics are on. I think I must be the only person in the country who thought Poldark was rubbish

Charleygirl Sun 07-Aug-16 09:55:58

I love watching the Olympics and other sports such as football and Wimbledon but I agree, it should be on one channel only. Even I want a break now and again if sports are on which I do not follow. I do not have a red button so I would lose out I think.

I am obsessed with house buying and selling so I am well catered for.

trisher Sun 07-Aug-16 09:57:08

1 pure sport channel should be enough. And it isn't just the Olympics, there has been Euro 2016, Wimbledon, Cycling, Formula 1, Golf, and after the Olympics it will be rugby! I've no objection to anyone being catered for but there is no need for the blanket coverage. TGF Netflix

KatyK Sun 07-Aug-16 10:17:13

I hate sport - all of it. There I've said it grin

Newquay Sun 07-Aug-16 16:56:45

Me too-I can't think of anything more boring. I enjoy watching the Tour de France-because I see more of my beloved France.
I admire and respect the training and dedication that goes into these sports folk but that's their choice.
Can't we just have one dedicated sports channel-not greedy SKY!- and leave the rest of us in peace?

petra Sun 07-Aug-16 17:23:14

anniebach no, your not the only one who thought pollard was rubbish, although I have to admit I only gave it 10 mins. I also don't watch soaps, cookery, home decorating, I've done enough of that for the past 37yrs.
Loving lots of the olympics. Women's 7 aside rugby was brilliant.
So happy that the Russians have been banned from the para olympics.

Maggiemaybe Sun 07-Aug-16 18:24:46

Poldark, rubbish? shock Be still my beating heart! I can't wait for series 2 (early September, apparently, fellow droolers fans).

I'm not a great sports enthusiast normally, and have to suffer a lot more of it than I'd like to (sports-mad DH, only one telly). But there's something about the Olympics. I'll be watching loads of the coverage, and from choice.