Gransnet forums

AIBU

to object to how much TV coverage the Olympics are getting?

(128 Posts)
Craftycat Tue 02-Aug-16 19:52:49

I've just looked at next week's Radio Times & in a nutshell BBC are showing nothing but the Olympics all day & every day!OK-I'm not a big fan of watching people run, jump, row etc & I appreciate a lot of people love it BUT does it have to be blanket coverage! There are only a few odd programmes on BBC 4 later every evening not sport related.
We've only just had all that dratted football- luckily we were abroad for the last 2 weeks of it- but it does seem as if sport is the be all & end all these days. Now I love my rugby (2 hours a week on an outside channel during winter months if we are lucky)& I quite like men's tennis so watch a bit of Wimbledon (not on 2 channels at the same time).
However IMHO this is far too much. I never usually watch commercial TV live but record it & whizz through adverts but I may resort to watching it live for 2 weeks.
Luckily I have some very good books on my Kindle too.
Roll on the closing ceremony- I do like a bit of samba!

merlotgran Sun 07-Aug-16 18:31:55

Sept 4th Maggie.

Not that I'm bothered or anything blush

Anniebach Sun 07-Aug-16 18:33:34

BBC2 only had an hour covering the Olympics today, all the usual antique , house buying etc was on ,

Anniebach Sun 07-Aug-16 18:38:41

Petra, so I am not the only one, it was awful and I did watch for five minutes , rippling muscles and high boots with tight breeches plus buxom women with heaving bosoms do not good drama make .

The women's rugby was good, I was gutted over the road cycling yesterday

numberplease Sun 07-Aug-16 18:46:02

Merlot, you stole my thunder, I was going to announce Poldark`s comeback on Sept 4th! Roll on, but apparently we won`t be seeing Aidan Turner`s bare chest in this series, as it`s being filmed in colder weather, DUH!!
I must confess to enjoying the mens` cycle race yesterday, plus some mens gymnastics and swimming.

Pittcity Sun 07-Aug-16 18:46:52

I am watching the tennis on the red button and DH is enjoying the beach volleyball!
Looking forward to the Athletics.
Paralympics will be on Channel 4 so BBC will be back by end of month.

numberplease Sun 07-Aug-16 22:11:47

I was looking forward to gymnastics at 9.15pm, but it hasn`t been forthcoming, we got fencing and now Rugby sevens! If it`s on a bit later we might miss it, because hubby`s found out that there`s football at 10.30!!

Maggiemaybe Sun 07-Aug-16 22:24:44

Rippling muscles and high boots with tight breeches go a fair way to making good drama in my book annie wink. I'm not so fussed about the buxom women with heaving bosoms though.

I've enjoyed the fencing today. I fenced in the sixth form at school and it was the only sporting activity I've ever happily participated in.

Eloethan Sun 07-Aug-16 22:27:53

I have never been that interested in sport but have in the past watched quite a bit of the Olympics and perhaps a major international football match. But I feel that it isn't really sport any more - it's big business and a pretty dirty business at that - and I've lost interest completely now.

Badenkate Mon 08-Aug-16 07:41:16

Thevwomen's rugby sevens were great number. I've not watched it before, but amazing fitness, stamina and bravery!

Mumsy Mon 08-Aug-16 08:07:30

I think the tv companies should have specific channels for all sports and stopp messing with other programs on the tv.

BBbevan Mon 08-Aug-16 08:44:20

I am already bored with it. Same bits over and over on Breakfast this morning. And BBC has sent out 455 people to cover it. More than Team GB.

Why can't they keep sport to just one channel.? We don't want wall to wall coverage. Give the rest of us a chance please

NanaandGrampy Mon 08-Aug-16 08:58:39

Its definitely not my thing but that's what the 'off' button is for. I shall spend the time enjoying the garden , the shops in case its quieter with everyone glued to their TV and reading the books I won :-)

I do agree with *BBbevan) if it was all on one channel that would be perfect !

Nelliemoser Mon 08-Aug-16 09:34:43

crafytycat Yes I think you are being unreasonable. This is once every four years.
You can switch, off or change channels, as it is TV is always dire during the school holidays.

There are so many events to pack into the olympics they have to use all the air space they have.

gettingonabit Mon 08-Aug-16 10:53:38

I somehow missed the gymnastics too. How did that happenconfused.?

Pigglywiggly Mon 08-Aug-16 12:37:40

It's cured my TV addiction anyway
Usually I watch a lot of news. Yesterday we turned on in the late afternoon and turned off after ten minutes, today we haven't turned on at all either.

hulahoop Mon 08-Aug-16 13:25:34

I watch bits of olympics but agree with a lot of posters it should be kept on one channel I can get out but feel for people for whom television is their only pleasure ?

Nelliemoser Mon 08-Aug-16 15:01:11

I still think people are being far too selfish about this.
I am hearing this
"I don't like intensive sport for two weeks once every four years" I only want to watch the programs I like.

Today RT 1:45 pm to 6pm Olympics
8pm to 10pm olympics and all night 12 midnight to 4.am. if you so wish.
You have these programs on just 3 BBC stations. You have about 100 other channels to look at if you have freeview and more if you have satellite TV,

Surely someone can find something to watch out of all the other channels.

Can people on here really not survive two weeks without Holby City and Casualty? Both these serials are way past their sell by dates as far as good vaguely realistis storylines go. Anyway nobody is missing anything story wise as these are not on
If you don't like what is on, watch something else. There really is more to life than watching a soap every week.

There are far too many sporting activities to put on one channel That way the whole event would be even longer. It is far fairer to allow everyone watch something to enjoy.

trisher Mon 08-Aug-16 15:08:32

Only the Olympics is once every 4 years other sport is regularly covered. Last night for example there was football (friendly) on as well as the Olympics, before the Olympics there was Wimbledon, cycling and golf. One dedicated channel would seem to be reasonable. After all presumably no sports enthusiasts watch more than one thing at a time. So why have it on 3?

Jane10 Mon 08-Aug-16 16:11:44

VG points Trisher

Anniebach Mon 08-Aug-16 17:04:53

But it isn't on three channels , it switches between 1and 2, BBC 2 covers one hour whilst One has the news and 30 minutes whilst 1 shows eastenders

Ana Mon 08-Aug-16 17:07:41

And ITV shows repeats (or it did at the weekend - Skyfall for the second week running...hmm)

Pittcity Mon 08-Aug-16 17:47:00

It's also on BBC4 and Virgin media has 8 red button channels as well as the red button itself and BBC sport online. So there's no need to disrupt usual viewing really.

Pigglywiggly Mon 08-Aug-16 18:13:38

But East Enders fans still get EastEnders. And the news inevitably includes some kind of report on sport.

Anniebach Mon 08-Aug-16 18:56:01

I don't watch tv on line and virgin media I have never heard of

numberplease Mon 08-Aug-16 23:11:05

This EastEnders fan still hasn`t seen it, because hubby won`t turn the Olympics off.