Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to expect my husband to be awake and talk to me?

(58 Posts)
paperbackbutterfly Tue 26-Dec-17 10:52:59

In our 60s we bth work fulltime but when we get home I prepare tea while OH has his first nap, we eat tea and he has his second nap (which sometimes lasts most of the evening) if he does wake up to watch a film he always has a third nap before bedtime. He snores loudly all the time and I can't hear the TV. I've tired suggesting he goes to bed but he says it's too early then falls asleep again. I just sit there getting so cross. Most evenings he sleeps for about 5 of the 7 hours we are up. He doesn't like going out (too tired) and he still sleeps all night. At weekends he sleeps during the day too. If we do visit people he goes to sleep there as well. I feel like I spend all my time on my own

Barmeyoldbat Wed 27-Dec-17 20:48:00

It’s sounds very much like a medical problem, as he snores it could be sleep apnoea ( hope the spelling is right) so I suggest a visit to your dr.

jeanie99 Thu 28-Dec-17 02:26:30

A GP check up for a start however if he is like my husband he just wouldn't go would tell me I am being ridiculous.
All his naps are power naps he's not sleeping so he tell me.
We have more than one TV makes for a quiet life. Live the life you want life can be short.
U3A have lots of interesting groups check your local ones out online.

Willow500 Thu 28-Dec-17 03:24:49

Definitely sounds like sleep apnea- my husband was just the same and was finally diagnosed about 10 years ago. He was waking up on average every 6 minutes so his quality of sleep was virtually nil. He was given a c-pap machine which made a huge difference albeit bringing problems of its own as it's a dreadful thing to sleep in and the DVLA have to be informed. He still falls asleep when he sits down but nowhere near as much as he did but he works 12 hours a day so not unexpected at 64. Get him to the GP.

MesMopTop Thu 28-Dec-17 03:48:02

Mine does that a lot too and he doesn’t work! He does have a host of medical problems, diabetes and sleep apnoea bring two of them. Sometimes when he snores it’s as if he stops breathing so that alone could make your OH very tired. Mine improved s lot when he got s C PAP machine. He might even be low in iron or need a Vit B12 jab so a trip to the doc could be helpful.

BlueBelle Thu 28-Dec-17 05:00:42

I can fall asleep anytime anywhere but only ever manage four or five at most in bed at night

M0nica Thu 28-Dec-17 11:17:43

When my DH was sleeping like this, he saw the doctor and was diagnosed with diabetes. He started sleeping less as soon as he had his medication.

seasider Thu 28-Dec-17 11:31:08

Our situation is similar Saggi. DP moans I go out as lot but he won't do anything. I am not prepared to waste my life watching TV. We have a couple of older friends who are both recovering from serious illness. Their lifestyle puts DP to shame. My mum used to say " you are a long time dead".