Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to live in hope that even controversial threads can avoid personal abuse?

(108 Posts)
Iam64 Fri 15-Jun-18 18:51:51

That’s it really. I don’t claim to the moral high ground.
I try to avoid personal abuse but like most posters, I’ve been known to fail.

starbox Sun 04-Nov-18 19:01:19

All of us see posts which we consider dumb, naive or just WRONG. And we can point out the errors. But it's totally POINTLESS to tell that person of an opposite mindset that they (not their idea) are evil, stupid etc. That certainly won't make them recant. It'll probably set them more firmly than ever in their beliefs.
Thus one can only say that ranting, abusive types are innately immature and stupid. Not necessarily uneducated (I've seen clever folk do it too!) but lacking a calm, measured response. And MAYBE not totally sure of what they're saying- when you KNOW you're right, you donb't need to scream and shout. If others disagree you shrug - their loss! But if your argument's not hitting home, if you're being asked questions you can't convincingly answer...then I think that's when people throw a tantrum!

PECS Sun 04-Nov-18 19:06:02

Always best to challenge the concept/idea/ opinion with some fact /evidence. Slamming the individual poster or being 'snide' does not progress an argument.

Madgran77 Mon 05-Nov-18 18:17:36

PECS I agree although challenging the concept/idea/opinion with fact/evidence just does not work with posters who are unable to see beyond their own version of reality.

PECS Mon 05-Nov-18 19:04:38

Well I agree that is a problem! But at least we have tried to rebutt assumptions with factual evidence and not one anecdotal incident!

varian Mon 05-Nov-18 19:24:08

In order to develop a reasoned argument, we need to progress mindless sloganising.

varian Mon 05-Nov-18 19:41:27

Progress beyond mindless sloganising

Madgran77 Mon 05-Nov-18 21:25:40

PECS smile