Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to feel a little bit hurt?

(94 Posts)
Cabbie21 Fri 29-Jun-18 13:13:48

AIBU to feel a little bit hurt that DH , who has gone to see his adult daughter for the weekend, did not even ask me what my plans were?
He usually goes during the week when I am busy with my voluntary work and other commitments, so, apart from being able to watch what I want on TV if I have time, I scarcely notice his absence. The time flies by.
Now it is the weekend and I have nothing particular on. If I had had a bit more notice, I might have arranged something, a weekend away. As it is, I am quite happy to stay at home, visiting grandchildren, relaxing, maybe going to a stately home on Sunday. I like being home alone, especially not forced to being out in the heat this weekend.

It is just the relationship aspect that hurts.

Nanny41 Sat 30-Jun-18 10:25:16

I have a "free" weekend this weekend and I am really enjoying myself, OH went off to a car museum further north I didnt feel like going, so mutual agreement he went off in the motorhome and I am doing what I want when I want, eat any time which suits me, generally enjoying myself. Make the most of your weekend Cabbie 21, he will soon be home again.

Melanieeastanglia Sat 30-Jun-18 10:30:20

Hello BlueBelle - perhaps I didn't make write what I thought clearly enough. I meant he should perhaps have asked her what her plans were. No, I don't think he should have asked her permission to visit daughter. Sorry if I caused confusion.

Coconut Sat 30-Jun-18 10:33:07

Not a major issue ... I would just ask him next time to give you a bit of warning to enable you to make your own plans.

FlorenceFlower Sat 30-Jun-18 10:34:00

I’m sure he was just thoughtless and certainly didn’t mean to upset you. Men do think differently from women - in general, anyway. I think it’s really a bit of ‘retired’ thinking ... and he didn’t really think there’s much difference if you are retired whether he sees his daughter during the week or at the weekend.

We have certainly changed how we do things now that we are both semi-retired, and the weekend isn’t quite so precious.

Do have a lovely weekend .... do hope that EVERYONE has a lovely weekend! ?

paddyann Sat 30-Jun-18 10:36:21

Cabbie21 if you've known for 10 days that he planned to be away it's hardly been sprung on you.If you dont want to have a relationship with his daughter and he accepts that and visits without you,then a change of days is irrelevant.
As a couple my OH and I dont "ask" permission to live our lives and he often disappears for hours on end,or drops into conversation he'll be away overnight with like minded car mad friends at some event.
I think its much healthier than living in each others pockets and we've been togther for 44 years ...so it hasn't done us any harm

Nannan2 Sat 30-Jun-18 10:44:43

Maybe he just assumed youd not want to go with him- as he goes alone in the week- but as its a wkend maybe he could have asked if you wanted to go see her too?Do you&she not get along,or something,?sorry not being nosey just wondered why he always goes alone in the weekdays is all.Does he not think you might want to visit as well? Seems he couldve got crossed wires- or just got in the habit of going it alone everywhere? Maybe you could do less voluntary stuff for awhile and suggest stuff to do together??its a good thing your doing- but not at expence of your relationship.

eazybee Sat 30-Jun-18 10:48:01

He gave you ten days notice; I thought he had just suddenly disappeared! How long do you need to plan?
Does he have to ask your permission?
Yes you are being unreasonable.

Nannan2 Sat 30-Jun-18 10:49:53

Also yes in the days leading up to his visit YOU could have easily offered to go with him,just casually said"when you go visit id like to come too",and maybe suggested tea out somewhere for just the 2 of you on the way back or something?-so you get a bit of 'out&about' that you're sharing with him.Bear in mind its not all one way- give& take is best.

Nannyto3 Sat 30-Jun-18 10:54:42

Cabbie21 I do so envy the fact that you have time alone. It’s what I crave more than anything, but unfortunately as he’s got older my OH has got more needy and wants to go everywhere with me. I do make a stand and do things on my own (often resulting in rows on my return) but the idea of him going away on his own for a weekend sounds utter bliss.

maddyone Sat 30-Jun-18 10:56:20

I don’t think you’re being unreasonable at all cabbie, it smacks of a certain type of selfishness to be so unconcerned about a partner. Since you have said he normally goes to see his daughter during the week, I presume you normally do something together at the weekend. Weekends are different than during the week, even when you’re retired. My husband and I get on with our own ‘stuff’ during the week, but normally see family, or do things together at the weekend. That is quite usual for many couples. I would have been very hurt to be honest.

Many men are said to be ‘high functioning Aspergers’ and even when they’re not, I have come to the conclusion that many of them sometimes act as if they are somewhere on the spectrum. Hence the book ‘Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus’ .

GoldenAge Sat 30-Jun-18 11:09:04

Cabbie 21 - you seem to have reached an agreement that you and your husband's daughter (stepdaughter I assume) don't come into contact - is that right? I think I must be on a different planet from others on this thread who think this is fine - of course there's nothing wrong with your husband seeing his daughter by himself, but why always? There's a big suggestion that you and your SD don't get on/that there's some jealousy on her part - if this is true then your arrangement only entrenches this - it's not a question of your DH having to choose between wife and daughter but it is important for you all to 'get on' - he is in the middle of two women and probably feeling as though he is treading on eggshells - and if there is jealousy from his daughter what is she saying to him in your absence? If she wants to pull him more into her life by introducing weekend time that is traditionally spent with you, you will find yourself being pushed out and this may be the ultimate aim. What you really need to examine here is your relationship with your SD rather than the apparent lack of courtesy shown to you by your DH because you can be certain that this behaviour on his part is a direct result of your SD's decision to want to be with him rather than for him to be with you. Remember Cabbie 21 that at the end of the day, should he become ill and you be fit, it will be you and not his daughter who cares for him so don't be pushed out when it doesn't suit you.

Urmstongran Sat 30-Jun-18 11:17:46

Maybe his daughter wanted to see him urgently over something? You and your husband have separate agendas regards family - the ‘blended family’ of second (or even third) time arounders. Sometimes there are issues that don’t get aired in case feelings get hurt. Let’s sleeping dogs lie in my opinion.

GabriellaG Sat 30-Jun-18 11:39:33

I agree with BlueBelle.
It's possibly, only because the OP has nothing planned, that she feels hurt.
She has her interests and he has his, which is as it should be. IMO it's a case of 'get over it'. You surely don't have to tell each other every little thing in advance to make sure the other doesn't feel left out, snubbed or ignored.
In managing to fill her week up with other stuff does the OP ask him if he feels left out on days when he's not visiting family?
Oh well! Each to his own. I'd be glad he saw his daughter unlike many who have fractured relationships.
To Cabbie21...enjoy 'me time'.

GabriellaG Sat 30-Jun-18 11:46:20

Why would Cabbie21 have to think about what to plan 10 days beforehand - whatever happened to spontaneity?
I just can't think why people have to have a spreadsheet of their life, as if having routine and spreadsheets and timetables weren't enough during our working years.
Does nobody decide on the day...wake up...look at the weather and decide city or seaside, shopping or sunlounger? Weird.

quizqueen Sat 30-Jun-18 11:57:45

If you always chose not to accompany him on his visits to see his daughter, for whatever reason, I don't know why you would think he needs to care about how you fill the hours without him because he would just assume you have other things you prefer to do!

Nananolife Sat 30-Jun-18 12:14:56

Oh these friggin initials. ....TYPE THE WORDS. It’ll take a nano second ABIU ....YABU. Its ridiculous no other forum does this ...

sarahellenwhitney Sat 30-Jun-18 12:19:38

Cabbie21.You appear to have reached the stage of enough is enough.If you want to make serious changes to your relationship then I recommend Relate. On your own to start with then take it from there as from how you describe your relationship you and DH are having less in common by the day.

sodapop Sat 30-Jun-18 12:35:16

Oh for goodness sake sarahellen I just assume your comments were tongue in cheek !

A little thought less maybe but nothing more serious, we all live our lives differently and don't all feel the need to be together all the time.

I agree Nananolife

lollee Sat 30-Jun-18 12:55:28

Gosh, I am sure there must be something wrong with my thought processes because I would be more interested in what HE is doing on these weekly visits, especially as he is secretive on his return.

sazz1 Sat 30-Jun-18 12:58:19

My OH told me Tuesday that he was going camping in a tent with DGD age 3 and DS2 to Woolacombe on Wednesday for the night. I was v happy to have peace and quiet for a change. By the same token I sometimes go to my friend's home for a few days at short notice. We have been married 40 yrs so something different and spontaneous is very welcome. Enjoy the peace.

lollee Sat 30-Jun-18 13:05:55

Having read all op's posts again I find it even more worrying. Doesn't call or text while away? Are the midweek visits overnight then? Doesn't talk about it on return....surely there would be a 'how is she (and family?)'. I have learned not to ask.........that sounds weird too! Whilst I dont find a weekly visit to a child strange, I do if it is an overnighter each time and if there is family, or is she single with no kids. Oh dear now my mind is buzzing.........is she his daughter?
Guess you'll all be mad at me for that one but stranger things happen. However, I certainly would enjoy time apart if I had a hisband, but would find it strange not to converse about what we had both done and family gossip etc.

Ellie Anne Sat 30-Jun-18 13:34:43

I can’t see the problem. You are planning a nice weekend and you enjoy time on your own. You wouldn’t have wanted to go with him anyway. If there are things you want to go to in the future just arrange it then tell him you will be away

grandtanteJE65 Sat 30-Jun-18 14:41:45

If you usually do things together at the weekend, I understand why you are feeling slightly hurt, and I don't think you are being unreasonable.

As you say he usually goes during the week when you are busy with voluntary work and so on, but it probably never dawned on him that going at the weekend might throw out your plans.

Try not to take it to heart. If you can manage not to sound hurt, you could ask him whether visiting at the weekend suits them better, or was only on this particular occasion. Obviously, if it is to be a regular thing, you should be consulted as to whether it suits you.

Pebbles77 Sat 30-Jun-18 14:42:46

That’s not nice .... no yanbu ... talk to him about it .. for goodness sake you are his wife ... shoddy treatment In a life that is just to short should never be tolerated by the one who’s supposed to love and cherish you ....

loopyloo Sat 30-Jun-18 14:47:17

Agree with Lollee, rather suspicious. Private detective? Or ring and ask daughter if you can speak to him?