Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to be annoyed by this

(98 Posts)
wiggle Mon 02-Jul-18 15:44:54

Yesterday our neighbours had a family party in the garden. It started at 12 and went on until 8pm. There was no especially loud music or anything like that but a lot of people talking and laughing (around 30 of them) the entire time. I like my neighbours very much and respect that in this weather people want to be outdoors and should be able to have people over. But it meant that we ended up indoors the entire time because you literally couldn't hear yourself think over the noise, let alone read or hold a conversation. 30 people laughing, chatting and shouting at the same time is quite loud.

I have no objection to people having fun obviously and they were having fun, and it's not like it went on late or anything. But it's not the first such gathering they have had this summer and I assume it won't be the last so am I being unreasonable at being annoyed that we got 9 solid hours of party noise that stopped us being able to enjoy our garden on a sunny weekend? I should maybe add that we have people round regularly but never that many and certainly never for that long. We also try not to make noise in the garden in the evenings in case we disturb their baby.

Mogsmaw Tue 03-Jul-18 21:38:56

I’ve lived in the same little row of houses for 24 years. We’ve brought up two children and now we gave grandchildren. Three of them have been staying last week. We have made more noise this last week that we have made in the last 10 years. The girls, three, three and four, have ridden their little scooters and blown bubbles and generally run up and down the path outside the seven houses. Now , I don’t have any lawn but I listen to neighbors whining lawnmower and the endless strimming without complaint because when the granweens come it’s my turn. Honestly we all live in glass houses so we shouldn’t throw stones. The sounds of people enjoying themselves is a joy, just remember, you might be the one gaving a party. Live and let live is my philosophy

Beau Tue 03-Jul-18 22:15:10

Everyone would say you are being unreasonable but I too would hate that - 30 people shrieking and laughing for 8-9 hours - I think they should have warned you so that you could have arranged a day out. I would never have any kind of gathering that large in house or garden as it's just too noisy and I can't stand noise - even the noise of traffic annoys me ?

FlorenceFlower Tue 03-Jul-18 22:45:47

I’m sure it was terribly annoying at the time - particularly if you didn’t know what time it was going to end. Just a thought, but could you wear noise cancelling earphones, nice background music and read your book?

Your neighbours sound pleasant, they love their family, they finished at 8 pm. I’m sure that many, many thousands of people would love to have them for neighbours rather than the horrors who scream, play endless loud music seemingly 24/7, etc, etc.

Hope you are having some lovely quiet reads in your garden now and that you get invited to the next party! ? ? ?

Eloethan Wed 04-Jul-18 00:28:29

I'm puzzled as to why it is necessary to be given notice of such an event in order to "plan" a day out. Why can't you just go out - either walking, or by bus, train or car? I can understand that someone who has restricted mobility - or is living in a physically challenging and remote area and perhaps has no access to their own or public transport -might need to plan but does that apply to many people?

quizqueen Wed 04-Jul-18 00:32:20

I'm sure your nice neighbours don't or couldn't afford to have parties on this scale very often so I think you need to lighten up a bit. For those people who never want to hear their neighbours and enjoy their garden without hearing a sound then they need to choose a suitable property in the middle of no where! Good neighbours can be hard to come by. If the party went on until the early hours then you would something to complain about.

maddy629 Wed 04-Jul-18 06:44:59

I envy you wiggle our inconsiderate neighbours had a party on Friday, it started at half past three in the afternoon and went on until 4:30 the next morning.
I think 8 o'clock in the evening is really good. Yes you are being unreasonable.

OldMeg Wed 04-Jul-18 06:56:43

What are gardens for if not to enjoy the occasional party or visit from friends and family.

Yes, you are being unreasonable, especially if you are retired and can enjoy your garden the rest of the week. Go inside and read yiur book.

TerriBull Wed 04-Jul-18 07:06:36

I live in a house which is one of a group that backs on to lovely communal gardens that lead down to the Thames. Summer can be quite a noisy time, children playing out in the gardens, others entertaining some times late into the night, laughter, chat and the tinkling of glasses, nothing too awful. We have a rowing club across the other side of the river who have competitive days when they continuously play the theme from "Hawaii Five 0", the pub next to that often plays "YMCA" at chucking out time. Next to them are gardens with a bandstand which has a brass band that plays music on summer Sunday afternoons..... then there are the geese that can start up pretty early some mornings with their honking. We thought we'd never get used to it when we first moved here, but can honestly say I love it, it's the sound of summer. Summer is all too brief I guess people want to make the most of that when they entertain in the garden, so I'd say cut them some slack they will be back behind doors before you know it.

annep Wed 04-Jul-18 11:03:56

Terribull oooh that does sound lovely even with the noise. Can we do a swap!

annep Wed 04-Jul-18 11:05:33

Some pekple just "tell it like it is" on gransnet. No sugar coating! lol

annep Wed 04-Jul-18 11:06:36

people!!

Hm999 Wed 04-Jul-18 11:48:27

Still really surprised by some of these replies. This is 8 hrs of 30 people getting progressively more drunk, perhaps ten feet from your back door! And if you want to go inside for quiet, you have to shut all the windows! In this weather? Really?

OldMeg Wed 04-Jul-18 12:51:24

Glad we don’t live next to you Hm999 ?

MawBroon Wed 04-Jul-18 13:07:52

I thought OP. said it was a “family party “ not an 8 hour drinking orgy confused ?

annodomini Wed 04-Jul-18 13:31:09

Having seen Hm999's post, I had another look at the OP and couldn't see any mention of anybody 'getting progressively drunk'.

Jalima1108 Wed 04-Jul-18 14:12:25

There's nothing worse than people talking and laughing when you haven't been invited.

marmar01 Wed 04-Jul-18 14:52:48

i think your being a bit harsh on them. its not often that we get weather like this just let it go and be pleased that they are lovely neighbours.

Hm999 Wed 04-Jul-18 15:31:03

Even more really surprised! In my experience, weekend lunchtime parties usually involve alcohol. Assuming they're not driving, if someone starts drinking at lunchtime on a hot day, by tea time, they've had a lot to drink.

FranT Wed 04-Jul-18 15:52:23

I would have worn earplugs, read my book and have been impervious!

oldbatty Wed 04-Jul-18 16:13:54

blimey weekend lunch parties, sounds brilliant.

4allweknow Fri 06-Jul-18 11:31:24

Oh how I would relish neighbours having a party once a month in this warm weather. I have to put up with a child minder who more or less lets the kids outside and just shouts at them from her kit hen or the sunlounger. This is all against the properties having conditions that do not allow any business to be run from them. Drives me mad, no peace in the garden to sit and read or chat, can't even have a quiet lunch outdoors. Then when the kuds have gone her own child invites her friends round to play. More nouse to about 8 pm. Your party once a month seems like a dream to me. Ignore it, go out, put your own music on.

annep Fri 06-Jul-18 15:47:54

4allweknow that sounds a lot to cope with sad