Gransnet forums

AIBU

To find preache "friend" annoying?

(129 Posts)
Luckygirl Wed 01-Aug-18 08:55:16

W e know a couple - he a doctor and she a vicar - whom we have known for many many years as we were both around in the local hospital during the house job years. We all continued to live in the area, but very rarely see anything of them now - we did when we lived nearer.

I have always found them mildly irritating in that they are somewhat condescending and self-absorbed. They see themselves as the golden couple and pillars of the community,

Two year ago we moved to our bungalow which is 2 minutes from their home. We have not seen them once in that time; they know life is difficult with my mobility and OH's PD. On the rare occasions we bump into each other they never ask after OH, which seems a bit odd.

So....there is a large and truly wonderful classical music festival going on in the nearest city this week and I have been top many concerts and am loving it.

I bumped into them there the other day - they said hello and chatted a bit - no how are you or how is OH? Fine. But then we came to a statue of a man stretching his arms into the air, and wife said: "I love this statue - it is wonderful. It just goes to show that whatever our circumstances we can reach up and achieve whatever we want to.....etc. " - all in this b****y preachy voice.

I had just left my OH in a bit of a pickle - anxious, shaky, needing help to pull up his trousers in the loo etc. etc., and I just thought "Oh F off! - you have no idea what our lives are like - how dare you preach to me!"

Am I just a miserable cow, or would this get up your wick as well?! So patronising!

gillybob Wed 01-Aug-18 11:13:06

Or even "pissing on my lawn won't make yours any greener"
shock

Sorry for lowering the tone Squiffy , No doubt I will be getting a warning PM (from someone who knows who she is) very soon. Yikes.

henetha Wed 01-Aug-18 11:16:08

They sound a real pain in the neck. Some Christians!
I know someone similar. I always get the feeling she thinks she's better than everyone else.

sodapop Wed 01-Aug-18 11:24:21

Too good to be true, this is 'look at me how wonderful I am'. People with a real faith of whatever origin will think of others and help quietly. I know a few people in the latter category and they just help as a matter of course. Not confined to people of faith either.
I think with that pair tact and diplomacy would go out of the window.

OldMeg Wed 01-Aug-18 11:31:12

wished for that great celestial banana skin to materialise at their feet

Beautifully put Maw ???

Squiffy Wed 01-Aug-18 11:37:32

Gilly I love that! grin

Agus Wed 01-Aug-18 11:48:39

Years ago my MiL and SiL were such verrrry good friends with the Minister and his wife which unfortunately meant DH and I were in their company on occasion.

Same age as us but that is where any similarity ended. We were not one of their flock and, not religious. She of the whiny voice, tilted head brigade took it upon herself to start preaching to me and came out with how sad it was that our DDs hadn’t been christened. I was livid but trying to stay civilised I laughingly replied, “what! and become part of you lot.

Years later it transpired that her sainted husband was having affairs with a few of the flock. Couldn’t stop my self when I came across her in the supermarket and approached her with tilted head saying “oh K......., how sad P.... has done this to you?

Agus Wed 01-Aug-18 11:54:06

Karma, Luckygirl ? Don’t you just love it when nasty people get their just deserts.

Enjoy your recital this evening. I am green with envy?

Synonymous Wed 01-Aug-18 12:15:53

Oh how awful Luckygirl ! They clearly press all your buttons but they probably don't have any people skills anyway. Sometimes people can have too much theoretical knowledge and no idea of how to put it into practice. It may have been their way of getting you to look upwards? hmm Next time you meet them just try to remenber that great big 'celestial banana skin' that Maw mentioned! grin

Sparklefizz Wed 01-Aug-18 12:17:51

^She has no understanding of peoples struggles and difficulties. Because she's ok. So why should the other person be disabled/blind/deaf/depressed etc. because she isn't.

It's an astounding attitude, when I was in real trouble [emotional/menopausal] she told me she'd been ok and implied I was a weak person,^

Some people have no imagination and can never put themselves in another's shoes. I had a friend who was suddenly widowed by a car crash. At the first Christmas without her husband, she said to me "Robin and I used to lie in bed on Christmas morning and wonder to ourselves why some people hated Christmas!"

I couldn't believe she hadn't realised!

A 2nd story - when I was going through a terribly traumatic divorce following an abusive marriage, my cousin phoned me and just said "Are you lucky at cards?"

I said "Whaaaat?"

And she said "Lucky at cards, unlucky in love!"

What empathy, eh?

There's no accounting for some people shock

Sparklefizz Wed 01-Aug-18 12:18:43

The first 2 paragraphs above were supposed to be in italics to indicate I was quoting from another post. Sorry about that!

Synonymous Wed 01-Aug-18 12:18:48

gillybob shock someone actually sends out warning PMs!?!?

Eglantine21 Wed 01-Aug-18 12:20:08

How about

“Head up, knees down.”

From the vicar.

Eglantine21 Wed 01-Aug-18 12:20:42

Oh no. Chin up. I didn’t remember it properly.

Agus Wed 01-Aug-18 12:27:22

Seriously gilly? You get warning PMs from another gnetter for ‘bad language’ ?

lemongrove Wed 01-Aug-18 12:41:03

The next time you see them Lucky tell them where you live and say you would appreciate a visit, and all about your DH.....and see how soon they appear!
I think we all know people who are similar to this, but I would be prepared to put them on the spot, particularly a vicar.They ( or he, anyway) should be doing what they can, not only for their regular church going parishioners but anyone with problems
Vicars/priests are as varied as anyone else unforunately, and I have known some wonderful ones and some lousy ones.

jenpax Wed 01-Aug-18 12:48:31

Good point Gillybob some people just delight in making others feel bad.goodness knows what pleasure they get from it ?

NonnaW Wed 01-Aug-18 13:01:26

My SIL was like this (we still get bible quotations in X* and birthday cards). Years ago, when my ex (then current) H was on his way down to the Falklands whilst the fighting was still ongoing, I got a letter from her, no mention of H but talking about a friend who had died, but “I know we’ll meet again in heaven”. I’m afraid the letter was screwed up and hurled across the room.

gillybob Wed 01-Aug-18 13:38:36

I've just had the one rather nasty "telling off" for using the "bloody" word Synon and agus (Oh I'm asking for trouble now).

To be honest I thought it was some kind of joke at first but it turned out that she was deadly serious and accused me of being "thoughtless, ill-bred, thinking only of myself and having no regard for other peoples sensitivities" .....phew all that for saying "bloody". shock

lemongrove Wed 01-Aug-18 13:45:37

But.... you must admit that all fits you gilly grin haha, just ignore it, it takes all sorts ( especially on forums.)

gillybob Wed 01-Aug-18 13:50:07

I accepted most of it with a laugh lemon (especially the bit about being ill bred) but the "thinking only of myself" did hurt a bit, especially coming from someone I don't even know !
Crikey knows what I would have got if I'd said a "REALLY bad word" . Very tempted to on another thread but I won't.

Lazigirl Wed 01-Aug-18 13:55:20

No wonder you are mad about it Luckygirl. This sort of attitude, which doesn't necessarily just come from religious folk, makes me boil. Try and "bump into" them again by the same statue and say I bloody hate this statue, I keep raising my arms for help and no one comes! I used to work with someone who was a trained counsellor. She was of the same ilk and had little positive messages and posters all over the the walls, made me want to puke, boy was I glad when she left

sharon103 Wed 01-Aug-18 14:01:33

Don't get me started. lol I too know a few people like this. They make me so angry. I believe in the quote, "Don't judge me until you've walked in my shoes". and some of those people who think because they are involved with the church, and I knew a lady who was a church goer and would cross the road or look the other way rather than say hello. She told my daughter and her friend when they were carol singing to bugger off. When I told my next door neighbour about it she said they're what's called "Sunday saints and week day sinners. It takes all sorts to make a world!

petra Wed 01-Aug-18 14:18:03

gilly
Oh I must use the bloody word more often grin
Then perhaps I might get a PM and reply with some really good expletives grin

gillybob Wed 01-Aug-18 14:25:18

I double dog dare you petra don't say I didn't warn you though. grin

oldbatty Wed 01-Aug-18 15:23:04

avoid them. They are probably swingers.