Gransnet forums

AIBU

To find preache "friend" annoying?

(129 Posts)
Luckygirl Wed 01-Aug-18 08:55:16

W e know a couple - he a doctor and she a vicar - whom we have known for many many years as we were both around in the local hospital during the house job years. We all continued to live in the area, but very rarely see anything of them now - we did when we lived nearer.

I have always found them mildly irritating in that they are somewhat condescending and self-absorbed. They see themselves as the golden couple and pillars of the community,

Two year ago we moved to our bungalow which is 2 minutes from their home. We have not seen them once in that time; they know life is difficult with my mobility and OH's PD. On the rare occasions we bump into each other they never ask after OH, which seems a bit odd.

So....there is a large and truly wonderful classical music festival going on in the nearest city this week and I have been top many concerts and am loving it.

I bumped into them there the other day - they said hello and chatted a bit - no how are you or how is OH? Fine. But then we came to a statue of a man stretching his arms into the air, and wife said: "I love this statue - it is wonderful. It just goes to show that whatever our circumstances we can reach up and achieve whatever we want to.....etc. " - all in this b****y preachy voice.

I had just left my OH in a bit of a pickle - anxious, shaky, needing help to pull up his trousers in the loo etc. etc., and I just thought "Oh F off! - you have no idea what our lives are like - how dare you preach to me!"

Am I just a miserable cow, or would this get up your wick as well?! So patronising!

merlotgran Wed 01-Aug-18 15:32:42

I was openly called coarse by a pearl clutching gransnetter for entering into the spirit of a risqué joke which somebody else had started.

But if anybody dared call her coarse there would probably be at least three threads about it. hmm

shysal Wed 01-Aug-18 16:25:54

From what I have read on GN, I would say a shining example of how a caring Christian minister should behave is our own grannyactivist.

Bluegal Wed 01-Aug-18 16:55:52

? at this thread. I think we all know people like this!

OP just don’t let it bother you! I wouldn’t even bother saying a polite hello next time you bump into them. Clearing they are still getting to you! Stop ? and accept THEY are the ones with a problem.

GillT57 Wed 01-Aug-18 16:56:08

oldbatty grin. Now, Luckygirl we need you to go and check their front garden; if they have a clump of pampas grass what oldbatty said could well be true. Oh and gillybob how many curses do you need to inflame the forum swearing police? I love a challenge grin

Bluegal Wed 01-Aug-18 16:56:33

* clearly not clearing

Lazigirl Wed 01-Aug-18 17:34:24

Pampas grass??GillT57 Have I missed something? We used to have some in our back garden, but not now............Its out of fashionsmile

GillT57 Wed 01-Aug-18 17:37:13

I am assured this is true Lazigirl. We too dug up our clump in the back garden, but there is a house on the corner of my road with a huge well groomed patch sitting proudly on their front lawn, good looking late middle aged, if a little tired looking grin

GillT57 Wed 01-Aug-18 17:37:35

the couple, not the patch of pampas grass of course

Agus Wed 01-Aug-18 17:46:27

Oh, you are bloody joking gilly?

In my book of standards are those of low standard, the snobby types who are under the illusion they are better than others and delight in their sad attempts to prove, in their heads anyway, their hierarchy in the pecking order.

I’ll breeding indeed! Does that therefore apply to royalty and aristos, some of whom I have heard cursing like a trooper ??

Merlot ?. You couldn’t make this stuff up

What a pity these cowards don’t have the ‘balls’ to post for all to see instead of behind the safety of a PM.

luluaugust Wed 01-Aug-18 17:47:54

I always feel this type are lacking something and inadequate at dealing with other human beings. How I wish I could think of the 'witty" put downs required at the time! No you are not a miserable cow, I admire your restraint in the circumstances, thank goodness they don't pop round to give you the benefit of their thoughts.

grannyactivist Wed 01-Aug-18 18:05:15

shysal thank you for your kind words, which I accept in the spirit in which they were offered. flowers
(And knowing full well my own deficiencies and frailties.)

gilly, I can't even begin to imagine why anyone would take another to task for their use of 'bad' language on a forum for people who are old enough to be grandparents. And I say that as one who never swears. Your comment about watering the grass made me laugh out loud earlier; it's an expression I haven't come across before.

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Aug-18 18:27:40

she's a vicar - but not a very good or caring one by the sounds of it.

Ask her if she has heard of the Befriending Scheme - if not, would she like to start one in her parish? She could start by befriending your DH so that you can go out feeling a bit more more relaxed.

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Aug-18 18:27:55

Bloody hell, gillybob, that's awful! shock

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Aug-18 18:35:06

There are some wonderful posts on this thread and some excellent responses to store away for further use. smile

Luckygirl I actually said the words that you thought out loud to someone not long ago - someone who has annoyed me and upset me greatly for very many years.
I shocked myself and felt very ashamed afterwards, but, in fact, I am glad, because it had built up to such an extent that it was like a cork popping out of a champagne bottle. He wasn't preachy (always right, though), but was dogmatic and just plain nasty.

Actually, comparing it to a cork popping out of a champagne bottle has made me feel much better about it all.

^

Synonymous Wed 01-Aug-18 18:37:42

Crumbs, gillybob I am truly amazed! shock

petra Wed 01-Aug-18 18:37:55

Bloody hell gilly a *double dare! Will do my utmost grin

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Aug-18 18:38:42

ps that's twice I've sworn in 5 months shock
Must watch myself.

MissAdventure Wed 01-Aug-18 18:41:38

I think the same people might very well find it difficult to cope if life threw them a few hard times.

petra Wed 01-Aug-18 18:47:54

gilly
I'm reminded now of the stoning scene in the Life of Brian where Mathias, son of Deuteronomy of Gath kept shouting Jehovah grin

petra Wed 01-Aug-18 18:58:48

Merlotgran
Blessed are the perl clutches.

MissAdventure Wed 01-Aug-18 19:01:39

And the cheesemakers

annsixty Wed 01-Aug-18 19:25:41

I have a very large pampas grass in my front garden.
Should I be worried?
H is 82 and I am 81, will we be allowed to opt out?
I don't think we could cope.

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Aug-18 19:43:12

tilted head brigade

Ooh, I really dislike that - "So, how are you? You are so brave" etc - "No, I'm not, just b****r off will you"!

if they have a clump of pampas grass what oldbatty said could well be true.
I must have led a sheltered life Gill - is pampas grass a signal that 'swingers live here'?
Or am I just confused

(My neighbours have a huge clump of pampas grass in their front garden grin)

Jalima1108 Wed 01-Aug-18 19:44:03

Do you live next door to me annsixty?

Farmnanjulie Wed 01-Aug-18 20:54:53

I was a pregnant widow with a above year old daughter who was hysterical for her daddy, I was told by a Christian health visitor, that really I
should be pleased as God has taken him to be a flower in his garden,and I should be grateful!!

No I wasn't bloody grateful! I had to tell a little girl her daddy was a twinkle star!

And that they could tell me about a food bank ,if i couldn't manage my finances!