Gransnet forums

AIBU

All I want for Christmas??

(109 Posts)
3211123rjc Tue 04-Dec-18 13:28:47

The answer to myself is...some peace from what to do at Christmas. Each year I spend about a week of my life trying to second guess what is happening with the family, who is going where? Will we get to know anytime soon. I give up and then ask the question and get my head bitten off for asking too soon, as they are so busy they haven't given Christmas a thought. My thought is Christmas is no surprise, its the same date every year!! This year we are getting to have Christmas by ourselves, not by our choice, daughter having a crisis with work pressures and missed deadlines and just wants some space, depression has set in and wouldn't be much fun! Son is abroad, has just lost his job and can't afford airfare. Another son who is chef, hates Christmas. So, I am truly fed up, not with having Christmas to ourselves, but with worrying about the family. Can I move Christmas to another date please.

OurKid1 Thu 06-Dec-18 11:47:38

Teetime and Jacq10 Condolences to you both. flowers flowers

I am so glad I read this thread - I was fretting a bit that my son and his family will 'only' be spending Christmas lunchtime with us, before heading off to the in-laws. I now realise how trivial such worries are.

3211123 I don't think you need to apologise - our problems are our problems however unimportant they may be in the scheme of things and you couldn't have known what was happening to others (nor did I when was fretting at my son's Christmas plans). I think starting this thread has benefitted all of us and made us realise what is really important - I guess we knew anyway being Gransnetters ... just maybe needed a bit of a reminder. I did.

moggie57 Thu 06-Dec-18 12:23:03

just be yourself .please yourself .spend time with d ,she needs you and some peace and quiet. cook or have a prepared dinner ,go for a walk with d afterwards.have yourself some me time with her. after all christmas is just another day to some people..if its all hustle and bustle say no thanks . having a "me and daughter christmas this year".....maybe have.... family on boxing day...

PECS Thu 06-Dec-18 14:36:15

No such thing as a perfect Christmas! More and more we are sold images of happy families, perfect meals, super decorated homes and trees etc etc. But it is all a marketing ploy!

My DD and her girls (maybe her ex who still shares the house!) will be with us ..we will have a good enough Christmas!

WkdV Thu 06-Dec-18 16:46:07

To teetime and morethan2 you are in our thoughts at this difficult time in your lives and hope you find the strength you need to face the future

NanKate Fri 07-Dec-18 08:06:34

Jacq Teetime how dreadfully sad your news is. ??

MagicWriter2016 Fri 07-Dec-18 21:16:04

So sorry to read about your predicament teatime, death is never easy, if they go suddenly they leave their loved ones shocked and wishing they had had time to say all the things they didn’t get to say. But then if it’s a long drawn out illness, we wish it would end so our loved ones can be in peace! I hope your son in law gets his peace sooner rather than later.

As for the OP, I think this time of year kind of magnifies any problems our family are already having. We see everywhere in the media, how wonderful Xmas is, how all the family come together and have the best time ever, everyone gets the presents they want and the table is

Tooglamtogiveadamn Sun 16-Dec-18 13:36:49

What about pampering yourself, with a bath bomb from lush (I would recommend intergalactic), a bath, a face mask, a glass of wine, and doing your nails and watching Christmas movies? Whatever you decide to do, enjoy it. Have a very merry Christmas and a happy, healthy new year! Best wishestchsmile

Tooglamtogiveadamn Sun 16-Dec-18 13:41:14

Oh My God! Wrong thread. Sorrytchblush although the last bit applies to you too!