Gransnet forums

AIBU

Are Postmen/Postwomen friendly, nosey or both?

(79 Posts)
Larsonsmum Tue 02-Apr-19 11:55:30

Who else thinks there is a very fine line between Postmen/Postwomen being friendly and being unacceptably nosey? We've recently had a new Postman in our rural area, and he's friendly, (which is nice), but he has now commented on several items of mail that we have received. I have numerous chronic illnesses/conditions and he's asked what is wrong with me, presumably due to the number of hospital letters he delivers. I'm not ashamed to say I have lots of illnesses, those someone else might be. He remarked on a Beer52 beer deliver and a Pong cheese delivery - both Christmas presents which come monthly for 3 months - saying "you like your luxury, don't you?" Today he had an M&S package and when I went to the door he said "you buy a lot, don't you?" Yes, I do, as I can't get out and about to shops! This M&S online order is larger size joggers in preparation for spinal surgery, then a hip surgery.

Believe me, our Posties often know more about us than family and friends!! Being rural, I know from experience that many of our post-people delivery a lot more than mail around the neighbourhood - gossip too!

If it persists, I may call Royal Mail, but at the same time we rely on our Postie to leave items in our designated safe places, so don't want to antagonise him, and end up driving a round trip of 26 miles to collect parcels.

crazyH Sat 18-May-19 00:59:00

Our postman is not nosy and never gossips about others. We talk about family etc but nothing too sensitive.
But for those of you who regularly have their hair done ....do not go to the village hair dresser....they not only know e erybody's business, but they also are make damn sure, all the clients knows each other's business. So I don't go there

MawBroonsback Sat 18-May-19 07:18:24

I am glad I found this thread. My daughter is 6 weeks pregnant and had to order anti sickness tablets. Her nosy postman commented on them and gave her a knowing look and she is so devastated. The chances of her carrying this baby to term are low
I very much hope Charlotte that your DD’s fears of losing this baby will prove unfounded, it must be so worrying for you all. Many of us have been in your situation and it is heartbreaking.
However I would caution about buying any medication by internet/ post, particularly in the early stages of pregnancy - or in fact at any stage, actually. One should not be self medicating (even supplements may be contra indicated) at this vulnerable time.
And any product which specifically relates to pregnancy should also not indicate its contents on the packaging. This is bad practice and should be reported to the manufacturer/supplier/trading standards.

Telly Sat 18-May-19 09:19:48

Well out postman is nosy and a gossip. He is always late, in fact we know when he's on holiday and our post arrived 2 - 3 hours earlier. I don't know how he gets away with it.