Gransnet forums

AIBU

Holiday - own room

(103 Posts)
SisterAct Fri 31-May-19 13:59:28

Am I being unreasonable. A friend has asked me to go away with her abroad or in England. I said I would be interested but would want my own room.

She got very frosty and said the point of sharing was it was cheaper and I was being selfish.

tinysidsmum Sat 01-Jun-19 09:43:37

If you want your own room then your friend should respect that. I wouldn't even share a room with my sister

Kim19 Sat 01-Jun-19 09:48:16

I'm obviously far too easy going as I simply go with the flow. To share or not to share is left to whoever feels strongly about it then, bingo! In general find sharing more congenial and fun but not really bothered either way. I do find sharing with my children most enjoyable as we indulge in much more spontaneous chat on all the little goings on and nonsense in their lives now that they live independently.

Coconut Sat 01-Jun-19 09:55:02

I struggle to share as I have restless legs (and bladder ?) so I often have disturbed nights, and would hate to disturb others.

25Avalon Sat 01-Jun-19 09:56:49

I don't think you are being unreasonable or selfish. A holiday for two people means they should both enjoy it and if you prefer having your own room then you should have your own room. You told her straight away so you were very reasonable. The way she has reacted means you are probably best off not going with her on holiday as it sounds like she would want her own way all the time.

Camelotclub Sat 01-Jun-19 09:59:40

I have a friend who used to wake up in the middle of the night and light up. I'd wake to find the room filled with cigarette smoke. (Of course when it was legal to smoke in public places.) I'd never share a room (hotel that is) with anyone but my DH now. And at home we have our own bedrooms and even bathrooms. Lucky to be able to.

ReadyMeals Sat 01-Jun-19 10:09:47

I suspect your friend perhaps isn't so worried about who is sleeping where as she is about having to pay for a whole room for herself. The only way to square this for her would be to offer to pay not only for your own room but also for half of hers.

GoldenAge Sat 01-Jun-19 10:16:12

Your ‘friend’ has clearly asked you to join her on holiday simply to reduce her costs - she might be a nightmare - I wouldn’t even consider spending time with her - you’ll be splitting pizzas and bottles of water!

dizzygran Sat 01-Jun-19 10:18:11

I wouldn't share a room with a friend - if you need the loo in the night or just want privacy. Bad enough at times with my OH ..

missdeke Sat 01-Jun-19 10:20:05

I shared a room a few years ago with 2 old schoolfriends, one I hadn't seen for about 30 years and the other whom I see sporadically. We ended up being 15 again, best thing we could have done, so many laughs and good memories.

BlueSapphire Sat 01-Jun-19 10:21:29

I definitely would not share (except obviously with late DH). I like my own space, and I don't think I would go on holiday with a friend even if we had separate rooms.

I would like to do my own thing on holiday, and not feel that I have anyone else to consider. It sounds selfish, I know and there ought to be give and take, but I do enjoy my own company and like the feeling of independence and pleasing myself.

I enjoyed my recent river cruise on my own so much, and am looking forward to an ocean cruise in a couple of weeks. I have a single cabin, as I did on the previous cruise that I can escape to if I need. I can choose whether I want company or not; people are normally happy to chat and I'm ok with that. Or I can go and sit on deck on my own and watch the sea and read.

SparklyGrandma Sat 01-Jun-19 10:23:59

You ANBU.....I like people but need my own space at the end of the day to relax and think, read quietly.
I need less sleep at night so I could be potching about until 2am which doesn’t fit with sharing a room.

And if someone wants to talk a lot...a nightmare if there is not space away from that.

Saggi Sat 01-Jun-19 10:24:05

Own room definitely ..... my best friend is an excellent sleeper ... I am not! I like to read or listen to audio books into the early hours and I could see this ...understandably... causing a rift. We’ve all got our peculiarities... so for friendship sake ...separate rooms a must.

Purplepoppies Sat 01-Jun-19 10:36:57

I shared with one friend. I told her clearly that I snore and to bring earplugs. She didn't. And regretted it ?.
I holidayed with a different friend. I insisted on separate rooms. It worked much better for me.
Your friend doesn't sound very friendly OP.
I wouldn't want to go anywhere with her in your flip flops.....

Davida1968 Sat 01-Jun-19 10:37:35

I absolutely couldn't share a room, other than with DH. I know I am a snorer and I also have to have my own space. I agree with other GNs posting here - my advice is that you make having your own room to be a non-negotiable condition of any holiday!

Apricity Sat 01-Jun-19 10:51:33

If you want your own room just do it. Totally reasonable for all of the many reasons given by other Grans. If it doesn't suit your friend - tough! If that's not OK with her she only asked you for budget reasons not friendship.

Nanny41 Sat 01-Jun-19 10:58:35

I would hate to share, we all have our own routines, early to bed,or late, up early or have a lie in, snoring, bathroom visits during the night,occupying the bathroom for ages in the morning.I find it hard enought when staying at a Hotel with my husband, it works fine but there are tensions.Definately have your own room!

sarahellenwhitney Sat 01-Jun-19 10:59:59

SisterAct
You are far from unreasonable.Separate rooms /ensuite is a must. This was normal for H and self in our later years when on holiday as I was happy to stay up late to enjoy hotel activities H was always ready for bed much earlier than myself.

glammagran Sat 01-Jun-19 11:10:26

My idea of utter hell would be to share a room with anyone, even family members apart from DH and even that is problematic what with his loud snoring, nocturnal involuntary f***ing....... I’ll leave it there, I think!

EmilyHarburn Sat 01-Jun-19 11:25:55

I usually share when I travel either as allocated by the travel company or as chosen when booking to gether. I take Boots sleepexazy loweer dose pills with me and take one every night for the first 3 nights. This seems to establish a pattern of sleeping in a strange bed and room etc. I get up in the night and use a head torch which has as red light so does not disturb. We agree if we will pull the plug. We each keep to our own half of the room. I have packing blocks, each one devoted to different sets of clothes so that I do not have a problem finding things from my case. I pack a light weight aluminum stool in my case so that I can sit on it and sort things or put my phone on it whilst charging if no suitable bed side table.

ReadyMeals Sat 01-Jun-19 11:27:48

Hehe I don't even share a room with DH. Not only are we in different rooms but also on different floors not directly above one another. He swears he can hear me stomping around all night and I am sure he throws the toilet lid down extra hard to disturb me. Actually we have a happy marriage but neither of us like to be around other people too much of the time - we're both basically loners.

fluttERBY123 Sat 01-Jun-19 11:34:44

Great tip from synchroswimmer. Would never share with a friend.

Skye17 Sat 01-Jun-19 11:37:33

I hate sharing. YANBU.

FC61 Sat 01-Jun-19 11:49:38

It can be a recipe for disaster! My mum and I always had problems - she goes to bed at 10pm I go at 1 am - I need the window open she wants it closed - she snores loudly but all hell let lose if she wakes up and hears me rustle my sheets ! So now she wears ear plugs , eye mask , and covers her neck while I try to go to sleep earlier , open the window a little bit and try not to drink water last thing lol! But that’s after 10 holidays !! My DH snores like a hippo if he’s tired and I’m not bothered but others are shocked ! Better rent a 2 bed apt not a hotel to start with.

jura2 Sat 01-Jun-19 11:52:10

Yep- 2 bed appartment will work out much cheaper- so a better option in this case. And that way you can cook small meals from time to time and go out to lots of different restaurants- perfect solution.

Hazeld Sat 01-Jun-19 12:18:52

Sounds to me like the only reason she's asked you to go is to cut the price of the holiday. I wouldn't want to go on holiday with someone like that anyway. But if she's getting frosty at just this one thing, is a holiday together really a good idea? I went on holiday for 3 weeks sharing with a friend who has similar likes and dislikes to me and we had a brilliant time but there are a lot of people I wouldn't want to share with. If it's what you want then stick to it don't be badgered into sharing if it's not your thing, it will totally spoil your holiday. Have a great time whatever you choose to do.