Gransnet forums

AIBU

Still not met three week old grandson.

(643 Posts)
Happygran1964 Wed 05-Feb-20 14:26:40

My daughter in law gave birth their first baby three weeks ago and despite only living a couple of miles away we still haven’t met him.
My DIL is struggling to breastfeed him as he just won’t latch on but takes a bottle happily, she spends the whole day expressing and I totally understand how exhausting that is but I don’t understand why we can’t just pop round for an hour for a cuddle.
I admit to feeling jealous that her mum and sister are there every day and I’m not proud of it but I do understand that she needs and wants her family around her, I just feel sad that DH and I aren’t getting the chance to bond.

Nansnet Thu 13-Feb-20 03:58:57

I also agree with everything Bathsheba has said. I don't particularly like being a part of this type of unfriendly discussion, but I've felt compelled to respond to many of the posts, as I've felt incensed on behalf of the OP, who seems like a very patient, reasonable and caring mother, MiL and GM. Yet, she has experienced a barrage of nasty, unkind responses from some posters. Totally unnecessary and uncalled for. We all have our own views and opinions, but most of us try to make our point without being rude or offensive.

Nanz Thu 13-Feb-20 05:03:10

Hi All
I am afraid i dont agree with " not having to bond with your grand child " Both my grand daughters are in Canada. The first i was at the birth the second for all sorts of reasons i couldn't get there until Kiara was 5 months old .. i was worried that i wouldn't bond with her as well as i had with her sister but the bond is so strong with both of them Kiara now 9 months listens to me on skype and communicates as well as her sister does. My point is YOU do need to bond with your grand children - they get so much from grand parents. I go to there three times a year and other times we chat every other day to keep the bond. I really hope you get to see you grand son soon but don't worry about bonding it will happen. AND yes your son needs to grow a pair for sure !!!

Madgran77 Thu 13-Feb-20 05:14:27

Happygran1964 Hope you have met your new grandchild. Hope your DIL and Son are settling in to new parenthood. Hope your whole family is happy.

I suspect that you are/would be amazed at how your thread has developed. flowers

Silver14 Thu 13-Feb-20 08:49:22

, this was my first time on this site and first ever post, I thought what on earth have I got myself into! It's support we need like minded people this thread doesn't make me feel good, I hope the lady has walked away and sought support somewhere else!!!!

gillybob Thu 13-Feb-20 08:52:10

In at the deep end then Silver14 grin

Welcome to Gransnet .

I sincerely hope Happygran has finally met her grandchild too.

Silver14 Thu 13-Feb-20 08:54:07

Ha thank you ......I think

gillybob Thu 13-Feb-20 08:59:33

The thing is with Gransnet is that it is rather huge now and we all have very different ideas about how we would do things. So when a post pops up like this one then I suppose it’s only natural that there will be a few very strong opinions .

I have had some very good advice and support over the years.

I hope you stick around Silver14 smile

Sara65 Thu 13-Feb-20 09:10:44

Silver

I stopped participating a long way back, I think this is a really horrible thread, I pop back every now and again to see if there’s an update, but if there is, I doubt she’d bother to tell us!

Honestly, not everything ends up this way.

FridayIsComing Thu 13-Feb-20 09:12:32

When my LO was born i had a horrific start. Stayed in hospital for 7 days. In laws visited twice a day. Before we left hospital, in laws insisted we sleep at our house but come over during the day to theirs. DH tried to say no. They just wouldn't accept it. So he asked me what did i think to which i said no. The compromise was we visited a few times a week. They threw a huge party a few days after we came home from hospital. I was notified not asked if it would be okay. Mil tried to come and take LO to her house to let me “rest”. I refused. Mil would turn up randomly to bathe and show LO off to friends. I gently put a stop to that. LO is 2 years old now. On many occassions i have closed the door on In laws when it comes to LO. I think i was traumatised by their conduct so i have prevented any extra interaction with LO once i got to grips with being a mother. I look back appalled at how they walked over me n dh. In the end, they lost out. So OP, hang in there. Your DIL will come round. She will probably feel sheepish for her behaviour and this will work in your favour. You have every right to feel upset and hurt. An hour to give a cuddle in those early days is so very precious. I am sure your son is appreciating your understanding nature right now and this will again work in your favour. Xx

gillybob Thu 13-Feb-20 09:15:32

I don’t think it’s a horrible thread at all Sara65 although admittedly there are some very strongly worded comments.
On the whole I think most people are hoping that the mother eventually sees sense, or finds a tiny bit of kindness in her heart to allow a grandmother to visit her grandchild even for a very short while .

Cabbie21 Thu 13-Feb-20 09:27:26

I have not read every post, there are too many to keep up with, especially when they turn nasty.
Has the OP ever come back?
Has she met her grandchild yet?

Happygran1964 Tue 18-Feb-20 19:15:06

Hello everyone.

Just an update for you all. We were set to meet our beautiful boy last Saturday but on Friday evening he was rushed into hospital with suspected meningitis.
We have all had a weekend from hell during which he had to undergo a lumbar puncture and aggressive antibiotic therapy, but thanks to their wonderful treatment the doctors and nurses caught it right at the beginning and our little man is now back home, safe and sound.
So, fingers crossed, first cuddles this weekend. My poor family has been through so much.
Thank you for your continued interest if you read this.

dragonfly46 Tue 18-Feb-20 19:17:33

Happygran bless you. I suspect your little ones illness put everything in perspective. Enjoy your cuddles this weekend x

Curlywhirly Tue 18-Feb-20 19:21:22

So sorry to hear that your grandson has been to hospital. But glad he's on the mend and that you will be seeing him this weekend. Xxx

Daisymae Tue 18-Feb-20 19:23:40

Happygran - what a traumatic time you all have had. Hope you finally get to meet your new GS this weekend.

Happygran1964 Tue 18-Feb-20 19:24:26

Thank you dragonfly

Yes it certainly does put things in perspective. All that matters now is that he is here and healthy and even if I have to wait a year to hold him close it doesn’t seem to matter as much now. He is my fifth grandchild ( another due end of May) and I have been blessed with them all. Xx

Happygran1964 Tue 18-Feb-20 19:25:34

Thank you everyone. I will let you know when I’ve had my first snuggle. ?

Yennifer Tue 18-Feb-20 19:26:40

Happygran, I don't know what to say, give him an extra gentle hug from all of us x

Happygran1964 Tue 18-Feb-20 19:27:57

I will Yennifer, thank you. X

SirChenjin Tue 18-Feb-20 19:29:06

Oh my goodness Happygran - what a horrendous time that’s been for the family. That’s great he’s better now and that he’s home safely and you’ll meet him soon flowers

brook2704 Tue 18-Feb-20 19:29:10

So good to hear your new DGS is getting better - what an awful time you must have all had with worry. Enjoy your extra special cuddles when you get them !

SueDonim Tue 18-Feb-20 19:33:36

What a terrible time you’ve all had! I’m so glad he’s pulled through and I hope he continues to make good progress. flowers

Susan56 Tue 18-Feb-20 19:38:25

Oh Happygran,so glad he has pulled through.Sending good wishes for a sfull and speedy recovery for him.Enjoy your cuddles?

Bathsheba Tue 18-Feb-20 19:38:49

Oh no, how desperately frightening for all of you. His parents in particular must have been beside themselves. Thank heavens all is well now (all praise to the NHS).

I do hope your meeting with this precious boy will go ahead and you enjoy some lovely cuddles with him xx

Happygran1964 Tue 18-Feb-20 19:40:55

Here he is, Arthur George Ronald ??