Gransnet forums

AIBU

Am I being childish to be hurt by this?

(66 Posts)
aries63 Sat 21-Mar-20 04:44:29

I am 70 this weekend. At the beginning of the year I was told I was being taken away for a long weekend to a cottage in Scotland. The next morning I got a text from my daughter asking if I was wanting to go because they had 48 hours to cancel. I am in pain 24 hours a day through arthritis, cervical spondylosis, HMS, and others so reluctantly I said no to it.
Nothing else was said and I wondered why my grandsons were coming to see me during the week with their presents even when I said I`d see them on Saturday, nothing was said.
It was on Friday morning my daughter texted to say they`d be down at lunch time, I asked if she meant tomorrow to be told that they were still going away to the cottage along with my 2 grandsons and their girlfriends.
The more I think of this the more it hurts, so gransnetters am I being chidish?

Summerstorm Mon 23-Mar-20 13:48:38

They are being unreasonable all round. Haven’t they watched the news asking people to stay away from holiday acc because in a lot of these areas they don’t have the capacity in the rural hospitals to deal with their own never mind visitors

Cabbie21 Mon 23-Mar-20 14:04:27

No, you are not being childish to feel hurt.
Your daughter and family are unreasonable on so many grounds. Booking unsuitable accommodation, being dishonest, leaving you out, and especially, going ahead with travel plans when we are meant to stay at home.
So you are the better person. Turn this on its head and be glad you stayed at home.

mygrannycanfly Mon 23-Mar-20 14:21:03

Happy birthday aries63 How inconsiderate your family have been. They’ve treated themselves to something that they fancy, for your birthday, without thinking about whether it’s something suitable and appropriate for you. I think you’ve every right to be upset and to expect them to have planned an accessible treat that you’d have enjoyed.

It has to be said that your family do seem to be very ignorant. They shouldn’t have carried on with their sneaky plans this weekend because everyone is supposed to be avoiding unnecessary travel.

I’m sorry they’ve behaved so badly, they are suffering from a lack of empathy and imagination. Tell them how you feel. Say you couldn’t understand why they wouldn’t tell you that they were still going away. You’re not a child, you don’t need your family around on your birthday, but it’s plain mean for them to not tell you in advance or ask you how you would like to celebrate even if not on the day.

Yennifer Mon 23-Mar-20 14:32:55

You are 70, you should be isolating. They know this. Please don't be hurt, so much stress and worry about that people are struggling to communicate well x

newnanny Mon 23-Mar-20 15:51:15

There is a travel ban on people going on holiday in UK. Your family are all being very irresponsible. They should cancel.

Greciangirl Mon 23-Mar-20 16:05:47

I’m wondering why you agreed to go in the first place.

It sounds as if the whole trip would have been stressful anyway.

Strange that they didn’t inform you that they were still going.

GrannyLaine Mon 23-Mar-20 16:55:36

Greciangirl
Did you not read the original post?

GabriellaG54 Mon 23-Mar-20 22:00:44

In a word...yes.

annep1 Mon 23-Mar-20 22:25:25

Hetty that is not a nice comment.
No one should be getting together at the minute.
If I was answering this at a normal time I would say yes they are selfish. It's a special birthday and they should have planned to spend it with you. But as Pikachu said it won't do you any good to feel bad about it. You are not alone. Children are often thoughtless. Don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.

Hawera1 Wed 25-Mar-20 02:44:29

Happy birthday. I can't get my head around young ones now, mine either

Dinahmo Sat 28-Mar-20 13:33:03

I'm amazed that they booked a cottage such as you've described. They should have booked one that had a downstairs bedroom and bathroom for you or taken you to an hotel with lifts.

It's funny how people book a "supposed" treat for the whole family expecting their children and grandchildren to like the same thing. The in laws of a young friend booked a villa in Florida last year for themselves and their childrens' families. The villa had one of those pools that's covered over with some sort of frame, little garden to speak of and the children were toddlers and babies. Not much fun on a flight to Florida I would have thought.

Urmstongran Sat 28-Mar-20 14:10:15

Many happy returns of the day aries! ???

Gummie Mon 30-Mar-20 14:28:19

Happy 70th Aries. I’m so sorry you are in such a lot of pain.

LaRia44 Mon 30-Mar-20 14:46:22

Aries, I agree with Granny Laine, they should have organised something you could cope with. The trouble is they don’t realise how much you long to see them and spend time time with them. But they did ask and a grandson came, which is lovely. Try not to hang to the hurt, difficult sometimes, and I’m sorry for you’re pain. I hope you have a hobby that you enjoy.

Laughterlines Mon 30-Mar-20 15:01:28

All the holiday companies round here have closed for the duration, so even if somebody turns up they can’t get the key. Those already in occupation have been told to go home. Cleaners have been told to down tools.

Good luck anybody going on a self catering holiday. There will be tears before bedtime. In the meantime Aries, happy birthday.