Gransnet forums

AIBU

grandson punished by not being allowed to visit us.

(116 Posts)
ouma6 Fri 24-Apr-20 16:54:32

background. grandson 7. very close to us, lived with us when small. He lied to his parents (Dad and girlfriend). Normally on a weekend he visits us, generally a sleepover. His punishment for lying is not being allowed to visit us this weekend. additionally he only spends 6 months of the year in our area so time is precious for both us and the grandson. I feel this is unfair to all three of us and another punishment should be worked out, not punishing us as well. His Dad works on weekends, Grandpa is only available on weekends. Opinions please.

annep1 Sat 25-Apr-20 14:23:14

Just looked up snitty. It was no more snitty than your FGS remark.
And now I sound like a grumpy child. So I think I'll go. I actually feel quite sad for this little boy missing his trip to his grandparents.

MawB Sat 25-Apr-20 14:26:23

Oh really!
Your “fgs” was presumably different to my “FGS”?
How totally childish, and clearly indicative of nothing better to occupy your time shock (yawn)

MissAdventure Sat 25-Apr-20 14:27:03

hmm

annep1 Sat 25-Apr-20 14:58:22

It was merely in response to your capital FGS. MawB.
I don't consider it a waste of my time to strongly defend little children.

annep1 Sat 25-Apr-20 15:03:35

Punishment frequently causes unhappiness (in the short term) to others, but lying is not to be encouraged.

Punishment can have long term effects too.

SirChenjin Sat 25-Apr-20 15:11:32

But not as long term as covid.

Norah Sat 25-Apr-20 15:18:12

The punishment choice is to the parent. Your opinions do not matter. Not harsh punishment, attention getting.

Bibbity Sat 25-Apr-20 15:18:48

I don’t see anything wrong with the punishment.
There’s nothing to say that he is locked in his room all weekend with nothing but water.
He’s lost a privilege.

And the real bottom line is he shouldn’t have been going over to his GPs house anyway.

annep1 Sat 25-Apr-20 15:28:40

I don't agree that seeing grandparents is a privilege.

TrendyNannie6 Sat 25-Apr-20 15:36:24

Well I’m quite muddled by the op post, I thought lockdown was simply lockdown and no one was seeing any GC

Norah Sat 25-Apr-20 15:38:43

annep1 if seeing GP is not a privilege to you, what may it be?

annep1 Sat 25-Apr-20 16:11:10

Is seeing a close family member a privilege?My children had a wonderful relationship with my husband's parents who lived in the same street. They were just part of the family. The very idea of punishing them by not allowing them to visit their grandparents is unthinkable. And what if something happened before the next visit? You can't turn back time.

Hithere Sat 25-Apr-20 16:16:16

Annepl,
So if it is not privilege, what is it then?

You did not address the question at all.

Maggiemaybe Sat 25-Apr-20 16:18:57

A child seeing his or her grandparents? Normal family life, I'd say.

Grandma24 Sat 25-Apr-20 16:18:58

Boris said Grandparents are not to look after their grandchildren.We are all in the same boat.One of the parents should stay home,it's simple.

BlueBelle Sat 25-Apr-20 16:23:06

So who lives with who if that’s not clear or understandable how can we possibly pass judgement or possibly decide what punishment the child should or shouldn’t have
If the poster doesn’t come back I ll take it this was not a true scenario

grandtanteJE65 Sat 25-Apr-20 16:26:59

Your grandson can't come to visit you anyhow right now.

Punishment to be effective has to take the form of preventing a child doing something he regards as a treat.

It is presumably not the first time he has told lies to his parents, so I fully understand them feeling that punishment is in order.

As others have said, it isn't really your business, how your son (?) chooses to discipline his son as long as he isn't spanking the child.

sodapop Sat 25-Apr-20 16:29:06

MissAdventure regarding your post of 19.51 yesterday that could have been my daughter speaking exactly grin

grandtanteJE65 Sat 25-Apr-20 16:33:45

And now all of you can yell at me. I still think that a child of seven is old enough to distinguish between telling the truth and telling lies.

For heaven's sake, if a seven year old doesn't know the difference between right and wrong then it is high time to start teaching him it, which is apparently what is father is doing.

Hithere Sat 25-Apr-20 16:40:28

GrandtateJE65

I won't yell at you

PamelaJ1 Sat 25-Apr-20 16:55:28

No wonder the OP hasn’t been back.
I think I get the gist of the background, but like most of you I think that punishment is up to the parents.
Also like most, maybe all, I can’t understand why the child would be staying with GP’s for the weekend at this time.
The fact that he is not allowed to stay with them indicates that either the mother or father is available for childcare.

GagaJo Sat 25-Apr-20 17:13:21

GTJE65, I agree, a child of 7 is old enough to know when they're lying. But punishment should be appropriate to the age. My 2 year old grandson has 2 minutes in time out, has to give mum or whoever is putting him in timeout an apology and a hug.

A 7 year old could do a half an hour in time out (reading or doing something non technology based) and then apologise.

Cancelling a whole day because of a lie for a 7 year old is disproportionate. However, the OP has said the parents are still working. So it is entirely possible they are front line workers and therefore their patience may well be thin.

While I disagree with the punishment, I agree that the parents are in charge of decisions about it.

annep1 Sat 25-Apr-20 17:25:52

Hithere I did in my next comment. Grandparents are family. Not nice to use them in this way.

BlueBelle Sat 25-Apr-20 17:30:20

Pamela as you understand the equation can you explain as the child is living with the grandparents and parents how can he be stopped from visiting no matter what his crime is as he is there already

we have been on "lockdown" together since the beginning of March

Hithere Sat 25-Apr-20 17:30:25

Annepl
What you imply is that family has rights. You are just not saying it directly.

Grandparents are not used in any way here.

The child has consequences for his misbehavior.

What you are saying is that the child can be punished in any other way as long as gp get their visit - aka right?

It doesnt work that way