Gransnet forums

AIBU

Another family get together ruined

(114 Posts)
dortie145 Tue 18-Aug-20 15:49:14

My daughter and I don't get on. She has a 4 week old baby and my dgd 4 years old. They came down to visit my Mum with her husband for 2 days. I am in reduced circumstances and can't entertain. I booked a beach hut for them picked up the keys early got it ready played with my gd on the beach most of the day watched the baby cleared up after them returned the keys then went to work for 2 hours My daughters husband then had to go home for work. On my return I had a G&T before eating at 8. 30 on my own they had all dined. I then had a glass of wine my daughter lay on the sofa eating biscuits and breastfeeding and demanded I get her a glass of water I had just sat down and asked her to wait the evening descended into chaos with accusations of my lack of care and help and being drunk My Mum got involved told me off for having a drink so I left. I don't have a great relationship with my Mum but we had been getting on well since lockdown
This has happened so many times before now no-one is talking to me I am 64 years old my grandchildren are my life but I don't want to see them if we are going to row all the time
My childhood was full of domestic drama and I don't want this for them or to always be the bad guy.

Callistemon Sun 23-Aug-20 10:07:56

Real friends call you out on your issues.

But we're an online forum, trying to be friendly and helpful (or not in some cases) and dortie doesn't know us in RL so how can we be real friends?

Telling someone who, on this thread, has said she had a G&T and one glass of wine that she is an alcoholic is not helpful.
As it trawling through threads looking for " evidence", that just beggars belief.

dortie I hope you've calmed down now and I hope you can learn to remove yourself from stressful situations. Apart from your DGC, these are all adults and should be able to manage for themselves without you waiting on them after being at work.

Luckylegs Sun 23-Aug-20 11:05:07

Well, thank goodness for that! Thank you, Callistemom for someone else who agrees it’s cruel and vindictive to search out previous posts from a poor woman in order to show evidence of alcohol abuse!

It sounds as if the OP had had a dreadful day, had a glass of wine with her lonely and delayed meal then a G and T to relax. Well, according to some of you, judge, jury and hangman, she ought to be strung up!

What is it about the alcohol police on here that immediately jump on anyone who mentions having a drink? I hardly drink myself but after how that day sounded like, I don’t blame the OP at all. She can do what she likes, surely without incurring the wrath of strangers. I wouldn’t even express my feelings on it to a friend, she would just deserve sympathy.

MissAdventure Sun 23-Aug-20 11:07:47

I don't think anyone jumps at someone mentioning having a drink.
Lots of people here enjoy a tipple. (Or three)

FarNorth Sun 23-Aug-20 11:22:55

I don't look up people's previous posts but if someone does it, I see nothing wrong.
It gives further information about the poster, which they have chosen to share in public on this forum.

Luckylegs Sun 23-Aug-20 11:25:27

If you just read back a bit, MissAdventure you’ll see a flurry of posts condemning the lady and particularly hard on her if she’d dared to be looking after the baby. It’s every time alcohol is mentioned, honestly, you can feel the condemnation in some posts!

MissAdventure Sun 23-Aug-20 11:28:45

Ah yes.
There are plenty like that lately, so point taken.
You can feel it oozing out of the screen, but it can be about anything, it seems, lately.

Smileless2012 Sun 23-Aug-20 12:24:03

Well said Callistemon, Luckylegs and MissAsmile.

"a flurry of posts condemning the lady and particularly hard on her if she'd dared to be looking after the baby". That was the the point of my previous post. dortie's assumed problems with alcohol don't appear to bother her D when it suits her to have her mother entertaining her eldest GC for the day, and then clearing up after the family before going to work.

Callistemon Sun 23-Aug-20 12:26:05

She wasn't looking after the baby.
Not unless her multi-tasking extends to breastfeeding too.

Summerlove Sun 23-Aug-20 15:31:03

But we're an online forum, trying to be friendly and helpful (or not in some cases) and dortie doesn't know us in RL so how can we be real friends?
Fine, but it seems exceptionally false to tell someone that everything they are doing is fine when you feel the opposite.

You’ll note I said her drinking didn’t sound like an issue until her previous threads were brought up

Knowing a posters history helps give proper advice. I don’t see issues with that.

Toadinthehole Mon 24-Aug-20 12:50:27

Exactly Smileless, the classic case of putting up with anything to get what you want out of it. I wish everything could be diagnosed so easily on an Internet forum, it would save so much time...and money!?

Smileless2012 Mon 24-Aug-20 13:54:33

Whether it's "putting up with anything to get what you want out of it" or putting up with anything for fear of having what you love taken away Todinthehole neither are a recipe for a happy life are they.

Toadinthehole Mon 24-Aug-20 16:07:14

Aww no, you’re right....and I really feel for you in your situation, but even though I don’t know you, you always seem to have such a positive attitude. I just pray it all works out for you very soon?

Smileless2012 Mon 24-Aug-20 18:05:09

Thank you Toadintheholesmileflowers.