Gransnet forums

AIBU

PREGNANT NOT ILL

(227 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Grannie2B Tue 27-Apr-21 16:29:25

about a three weeks ago I had bad news that my dear friend has Cancer. I also had good news that DIL is pregnant.

One afternoon I just got off the phone to my friend who informed me that her treatment was leaving her extremely tired, with a bad headache and vomiting many times during the day.
DS and DIL were over and after the call I said "Poor Sue, says it's really rough, I've not known anybody to be Ill like it"

To which DIL said "I feel the same and it's awful"
I was gob smacked! Luckily my DH jumped in and said "But you're not ILL are you!"

DIL is vomiting quite a bit throughout the day even when visiting our house and I'm sure it's taking its a bit hard being as it's her first time but how dare she say that when my friend is sick with CANCER!

When DS and DIL left me and DH had a long conversation about the audacity of DIL and decided that we wouldn't tolerate her selfishness like that again. DH was angry she said that to me knowing how upset I was about my friend.
Now when ever DIL whinges about being pregnant me and DH both remind her that she isn't Ill. I can't bear to hear her complaining for the next two trimesters when my friend is really suffering.
This was just a rant to get it off my chest.

Vickysponge Tue 27-Apr-21 19:17:38

Grannie2B

To all those who are saying I should be careful or I'll be on the estrangement thread.

I'll not be held over a barrel where seeing my GC is concerned. Am I to run round and take all kinds of rubbish just incase they swipe the child away to punish me

People are saying they were in hospital with their pregnancies I do sympathise, it must have felt awful but you were PREGNANT not I'll. It will any an illness and it may feel awful and drain you but it isn't an illness and today's mums behave like it is all of them "Nearly died" giving birth these days. Never mind women have been pregnant and given birth for generations since time began.

Wow. Mother in law from hell.

Katyj Tue 27-Apr-21 19:18:05

This must be a wind up ! Carry on like this and you’ll end up on the estrangement thread !

BlueBelle Tue 27-Apr-21 19:19:48

Blimey you re a hard one Granny2B Your second post just shows you up I hope your daughter in law is strong enough to stand up to your

I'll not be held over a barrel where seeing my GC is concerned. Am I to run round and take all kinds of rubbish just incase they swipe the child away to punish me

You come across as a real gem of a grandmother and the babies not even born yet please don’t bother whining on here if they decide to not visit too much if I was in their position I d move as far away as possible

Grannie2B Tue 27-Apr-21 19:21:45

@millie22 she's not my DD

Grannie2B Tue 27-Apr-21 19:23:18

I don't see why I should have to swallow dils sick comment just to see my own gc

Parsley3 Tue 27-Apr-21 19:24:39

Do you feel better having got it off your chest Grannie? I do wish you hadn't shared this as I am appalled that you and your OH have been so unkind to your DIL. Good luck with your future relationship.

V3ra Tue 27-Apr-21 19:26:45

I hope for her sake that your daughter-in-law's own mother is still around and able to support her.
She's clearly not going to get any help from you or your husband during the pregnancy.

Please keep your rude comments to yourselves from now on and don't spoil what should be a magical exciting time for your son and his wife.

For what it's worth my mother-in-law and father-in-law used to be a nightmare.
After one visit as we drove home my husband, their son, said, "That's it, I've had it with the pair of them. That's the last time we go there."
I didn't argue. We didn't visit for years after that.
Be warned.

Mollygo Tue 27-Apr-21 19:30:00

Grannie2B I’ll not be held over a barrel where seeing my GC is concerned
What a strange phrase to use.
Do you mean you are certain you’ll be able to see your GC no matter how you behave, or that you don’t care whether you see your grandchild or not?
Are you planning to come between your son and his wife if she is upset by your lack of sympathy and he supports her? Are you confident that he would support his mummy first.
No one here has said pregnancy is an illness like cancer but that doesn’t mean those who suffer during pregnancy should be told they’re only pregnant. Her comment may have been ill timed and seemed
unkind when you had just been talking to your friend, but actually, what you are planning to do is deliberately unkind.
I’m glad you’re not my MIL.

Bibbity Tue 27-Apr-21 19:30:11

Grannie2B

To all those who are saying I should be careful or I'll be on the estrangement thread.

People are saying they were in hospital with their pregnancies I do sympathise, it must have felt awful but you were PREGNANT not I'll. It will any an illness and it may feel awful and drain you but it isn't an illness and today's mums behave like it is all of them "Nearly died" giving birth these days. Never mind women have been pregnant and given birth for generations since time began.

Women today die in pregnancy and labour. Pull your head out.

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 27-Apr-21 19:33:27

Granny 2 be or not to be?

Another New Poster ?

March Tue 27-Apr-21 19:33:54

Mother and baby are usually a package deal. No parent in their right mind would want to spend time with somone who was so cruel to them, let alone hand their baby over.

M0nica Tue 27-Apr-21 19:34:43

Grannie2B Whether you see your grandchild, once born, is entirely in the hands of the child's parents. You have no say and no rights at all where your grandchildren are concerned. If your DS and DiL don't want you in the child's life, you will not be in it. To be honest you do not sound like someone anyone would want as a MiL

I agree pregnancy is not an illness, but there are many illnesses associated with it. Extreme nausea is one. pre-eclampsia is another. There are a myriad other conditions that can put the health and even lives of both mother and child at risk. Check this site for a list of the main ones www.womenshealth.gov/pregnancy/youre-pregnant-now-what/pregnancy-complications. Presumably in your mind a woman who dies in pregnancy or childbirth, is not ill, just pregnant and making a lot of fuss about nothing.

In the past many, many women have died in and around pregnancy and child birth. The author Charlotte Bronte died of pre-eclampsia about 7 months into her pregnancy and her baby with her. But of course she wasn't ill, just making a lot of fuss about nothing.

The menopause is a perfectly normal condition women pass through, but many have illnesses as a result. Last summer my DD came close to death with one of the side effects of the menopause. If she had died, what should I have done ? just shrugged off as one of those things, she wasn't ill just going through the menopause?

BlueBelle Tue 27-Apr-21 19:36:29

* I don't see why I should have to swallow dils sick comment just to see my own gc*
You don’t, so hopefully they ll stay out your way for the rest of the pregnancy
Can you not see you’re wrong, very wrong 7
Not one person here has supported you , every post has told you you’re in the wrong and yet your arrogance shows no bounds you still don’t see it do you ?
You and your husband have bullied this young lady over a simple comment which wasn’t anything terrible She didn’t say ‘my sickness is worse than your ill friend’ she simply tried to say ‘I understand how awful it must be because I have it too at the moment’
You and your husband have blown it out of all proportion and I feel so sorry for that girl Your post has made me quite angry at your lack of empathy and understanding

Grannie2B Tue 27-Apr-21 19:37:31

We are my DS parents and as far as I can see Dil needs to take that into account. She is in our house and in our lives and she has her place as we are the parents of her husband. She doesn't get to say what goes she's not free to make decisions over our family lives. I wouldn't ever have dreamed of talking to my in laws like they were my old mucker, I had respect for their position and I certainly never told them they couldn't see their GC
I have brought my DS up with those values and I'm not sure of her upbringing but in our family that's what happens. She's an in law if she wants to marry into our family she does so knowing that's what goes

Riverwalk Tue 27-Apr-21 19:40:47

Oh, give over - I don't believe a word of this!

Grannie2B Tue 27-Apr-21 19:41:42

We are not mean to her or unsympathetic by we are her pil and she needs to know that she can't just pipe up especially with a selfish comment like that

March Tue 27-Apr-21 19:43:19

You don't understand do you?

Her and your son have made their own family. His primary family.
You are part of their family.
You fit in with them.

Your DIL, as a wife and mother gets every say, every choice and decision over her family and her child, jointly with her Husband.
Their decisions have nothing to do with you.
Wife and Husband are a team.

You don't hold the cards, they do.

Jaxjacky Tue 27-Apr-21 19:43:44

Your OP was are you being unreasonable? You asked the question and don’t like the answers.
So be it.

V3ra Tue 27-Apr-21 19:43:51

Do your son and his wife live with you?

Aldom Tue 27-Apr-21 19:47:27

You and your husband are arrogant bullies. Very ignorant of the many and varied complications of pregnancy and childbirth. I am so very thankful for the loving concern shown by my mother and father in law at the time when I suffered from 24/7 vomiting during pregnancy. A dangerous, debilitating condition. My condolences to your daughter in law for having you as in laws.

BlueBelle Tue 27-Apr-21 19:50:58

You’re unbelievable?
Please tell me this is a joke ? There can’t be a living soul this insensitive and vile
Please tell me this poor girl doesn’t live with you ???
You need to wind your neck in and get off your high horse before you fall off

I hope your son loves her enough to take her well away from you and your husband

Loislovesstewie Tue 27-Apr-21 19:59:51

You are a joke!

Mollygo Tue 27-Apr-21 20:04:35

I hope this post is a wind up.
If it isn’t, then the OP is implying that her DS is a mummy’s boy and that he will do what she says. she thinks that she and only she has rights in her DS and DIL’s marriage. We’ve heard some MIL stories on GN so we know some bad ones exist, so it is possible that it’s true, but I do hope not.

marmar01 Tue 27-Apr-21 20:09:41

good god woman have a bit of feeling for your dil, feeling the way she is at the moment is awful and there is nothing she can do about it,I know shes not ill but she could be feeling terrible. You could be understanding to both of them not just your friend.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 27-Apr-21 20:12:26

UNBELIEVABLE!!!