Gransnet forums

AIBU

Brexit is the cause of the shortages

(314 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

MaggieTulliver Mon 04-Oct-21 07:30:56

The foreign media seem to think we only have ourselves to blame for the current shortages because we voted for Brexit and I totally agree. The current posturing of this hopeless government says it all and the fact that Boris is offering temporary visas to foreign drivers is pathetic and an admission that it’s Brexit that has caused the current problems. Please try to convince me that Brexit has been good for our country - I’ve been angry about it since 2016! www.theguardian.com/business/2021/oct/03/only-yourselves-to-blame-uks-shortages-seen-from-abroad

JaneJudge Mon 04-Oct-21 09:34:15

Even God talks to me about Brexit

Whitewavemark2 Mon 04-Oct-21 09:34:59

Does no one ever look at twitter?

ayse Mon 04-Oct-21 09:35:15

Only page 1 and already some contributors are hurling insults! I realise that this is rather a hot topic but everyone is entitled to state their point of view, preferably without insulting other posters.

I think Brexit is the prime cause of our current problems but the pandemic just put off the evil day. Even the government warned of the storm we are now experiencing: project Yellowhammer. Here is a link to what I think is a reliable source. www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/operation-yellowhammer
written in 2019.

Our current government knew this was down the line so why do they persist in blaming everyone else for our current difficulties? They should have put workable contingency plans in place, instead they sit on their hands in their ivory towers, doing very little.

A perfect storm diminishing us. I’m ashamed of the country in which I was born.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 04-Oct-21 09:35:32

JaneJudge

Even God talks to me about Brexit

Bit weird?

Urmstongran Mon 04-Oct-21 09:37:45

Twitter? Gah, no way. The forum for the permanently affronted. Life’s too short. Ditto FB!

Kandinsky Mon 04-Oct-21 09:39:04

So how will we rejoin?
They’d have to be another referendum surely?
And any political party would have to have rejoining the EU as their main policy - the reason people vote for them. ( didn’t that happen in the last election yet the tories still won )
I just don’t understand where you’re going with all the anger? if you’re never going to get over it then glue yourself to the motorway like XR, start demos, I don’t know - just get proactive.

Alegrias1 Mon 04-Oct-21 09:39:57

Whitewavemark2

Does no one ever look at twitter?

Interesting though. Do people really not see what is going on in the country? I wonder if many people who voted to leave really do think everything's going quite well and don't understand the depths of the issue? Because they are consumed with the school run and what's for dinner, so it doesn't even cross their minds what a state we're in?

ayse Mon 04-Oct-21 09:40:22

Yellowhammer specifically says rising energy prices, food shortages, medicine shortages with the poorest being disproportionately affected, amongst other choice phrases.

JaneJudge Mon 04-Oct-21 09:40:34

God told me Brexit wasn't a very good idea

maddyone Mon 04-Oct-21 09:42:41

I’m fed up of all this endless discussion. I voted remain, but I’ve accepted the status quo. I’ve got more than enough to worry about with the three 94 year olds in our family without worrying about that which I cannot change. There are problems post Brexit I know, but I’m unable to change anything about them. There are also problems with insufficient heavy goods drivers in other countries, but no one answered my point on that.

growstuff Mon 04-Oct-21 09:44:38

So all anybody has to do is provide MaggieTulliver with some benefits. Simples!

ayse Mon 04-Oct-21 09:44:41

Kandinsky

So how will we rejoin?
And any political party would have to have rejoining the EU as their main policy - the reason people vote for them. ( didn’t that happen in the last election yet the tories still won )
I just don’t understand where you’re going with all the anger? if you’re never going to get over it then glue yourself to the motorway like XR, start demos, I don’t know - just get proactive.

Yellowhammer also talks of civil disorder thus the new police powers bill.

It took us years to join the EU as de Gaulle said ‘Non’. I doubt if Europe would have us back. Renegotiation of the current treaty could be a possibility but it would take years.

Alegrias1 Mon 04-Oct-21 09:44:52

Kandinsky

So how will we rejoin?

Let's put this to bed.

In my experience, most people know we've left. hmm Most people realise what an uphill struggle it would be to rejoin. So, Kandinsky, that's not the objective.

The immediate objective is to make the best of the situation we're in, not pi** off our nearest neighbours, stop pretending we're better off on our own and actually do something to make the country operate better.

Is that clear enough? Now is the time to stop trying to think you have a superior argument about us "not accepting we've left".

GrannyGravy13 Mon 04-Oct-21 09:45:57

Alegrias1 insulting millions of the electorate due to them exercising their democratic right to vote, is neither clever nor funny, and quiet frankly below your usual standard of debate on GN.

growstuff Mon 04-Oct-21 09:46:05

Urmstongran

Twitter? Gah, no way. The forum for the permanently affronted. Life’s too short. Ditto FB!

So you come on GN? confused

Alegrias1 Mon 04-Oct-21 09:46:20

maddyone

I’m fed up of all this endless discussion. I voted remain, but I’ve accepted the status quo. I’ve got more than enough to worry about with the three 94 year olds in our family without worrying about that which I cannot change. There are problems post Brexit I know, but I’m unable to change anything about them. There are also problems with insufficient heavy goods drivers in other countries, but no one answered my point on that.

Other countries have shortages of drivers but have governments sensible enough to do something about it and not let it get out of hand.

Other countries in Europe do not have empty shelves and people fighting on forecourts.

growstuff Mon 04-Oct-21 09:47:35

GrannyGravy13

Alegrias1 insulting millions of the electorate due to them exercising their democratic right to vote, is neither clever nor funny, and quiet frankly below your usual standard of debate on GN.

Which of Alegrias' posts do you mean?

Her last post seems perfectly fine to me.

Alegrias1 Mon 04-Oct-21 09:48:03

GrannyGravy13

TBH, GG13, I don't care.

Look at some of the responses on this thread and tell me if you think my usual standard of debate is the way to go.

Kali2 Mon 04-Oct-21 09:53:40

Kandinsky, rejoining is one thing- and even I am not advocating this.

maddyone, I am so sorry to hear. But some people here are talking about tearing up the Deal and Treaty the UK has signed. That is NOT the Brexit that was agreed and signed. So yes, Brexit has happened- and the UK did sign a Deal to that effect, and now want to totally go back on their word. This is a totally different proposition, and one that will leave us massively isolated, shunned- a small island cut off from the rest by water and ports that can be blockaded, and with massive shortages of labour with the necessary skills and experience, and with utilities and services sold to those we are about to 100% alienate.

This is sheer madness, incompetence, and will have disastrous consequences. Shortages of HGV drivers will be the least of our worries then.

growstuff Mon 04-Oct-21 09:53:41

Alegrias1

maddyone

Other countries have shortages of drivers but have governments sensible enough to do something about it and not let it get out of hand.

Other countries in Europe do not have empty shelves and people fighting on forecourts.

Road haulage companies had a meeting over three months ago. The government was represented by Charlotte Vere, who is a Conservative member of the House of Lords. It was her decision not to do anything (eg try to give foreign drivers visas) because she didn't want to cause any panic. hmm

GrannyGravy13 Mon 04-Oct-21 09:53:44

Alegrias1 I just cannot see that throwing insults around gets the debate/discussion anywhere.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 04-Oct-21 09:53:44

Alegrias1 I just cannot see that throwing insults around gets the debate/discussion anywhere.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 04-Oct-21 09:53:44

JaneJudge

?still a bit weird

Whitewavemark2 Mon 04-Oct-21 09:53:44

JaneJudge

?still a bit weird

Kali2 Mon 04-Oct-21 09:53:45

Kandinsky, rejoining is one thing- and even I am not advocating this.

maddyone, I am so sorry to hear. But some people here are talking about tearing up the Deal and Treaty the UK has signed. That is NOT the Brexit that was agreed and signed. So yes, Brexit has happened- and the UK did sign a Deal to that effect, and now want to totally go back on their word. This is a totally different proposition, and one that will leave us massively isolated, shunned- a small island cut off from the rest by water and ports that can be blockaded, and with massive shortages of labour with the necessary skills and experience, and with utilities and services sold to those we are about to 100% alienate.

This is sheer madness, incompetence, and will have disastrous consequences. Shortages of HGV drivers will be the least of our worries then.

We are all fed up about those endless discussions - a treaty was willingly signed, with full compr