Gransnet forums

AIBU

Unwanted bequest, what do you think

(33 Posts)
Mogsmaw Tue 29-Mar-22 21:20:51

My mother died recently and my sister and I have been distributing a few “bits” to friends and family.
Months ago my sister said mum wanted a pearl choker to go to her sister in law. She particularly wanted this as it had been the borrowed element when she married her brother. Mum felt she should have it as it was part of her wedding outfit. They are very nice and one of the few pieces of “real” jewellery she had.
Well, my aunt has said no thanks. She doesn’t really like pearls and only borrowed it as it went with her outfit.
We’re a bit shocked to be honest. Not that she doesn’t like pearls, that’s her choice, but to turn down a gift!
I’ve sent jewellery to my children from their gran. I don’t expect they will ever wear it, it’s a keepsake.
It just seems so callous. What do you all think.

Cabbie21 Wed 30-Mar-22 19:02:27

Gracious acceptance might have been preferable, but you got an honest reaction instead. Try not to take it personally.

I accepted a gold bracelet which belonged to my late aunt, but I shall never wear it! I am not sure who will want it after me, but maybe one of my granddaughters will have it and sell it.

Bibbity Wed 30-Mar-22 21:02:48

Yammy

I feel for you Mogsmaw. The same thing happened to me with my mother's things. Unlike most on here, I think people should accept with grace even if they stay in a drawer.
My mum had a collection of Wedgwood she asked me to give her nearest and dearest a piece. I was refused by one relation as they did not 'Match ",her decore.
When my MIL died one of her distant relations phoned and asked for one of her bracelets she knew exactly the one she wanted, DH's reaction is not printable.
Whatever it is you accept and then do what you want with it.flowers

And for those who don't want to end up with a load of unwanted crap?

Vintagejazz Wed 30-Mar-22 21:08:27

Bibbity

Yammy

I feel for you Mogsmaw. The same thing happened to me with my mother's things. Unlike most on here, I think people should accept with grace even if they stay in a drawer.
My mum had a collection of Wedgwood she asked me to give her nearest and dearest a piece. I was refused by one relation as they did not 'Match ",her decore.
When my MIL died one of her distant relations phoned and asked for one of her bracelets she knew exactly the one she wanted, DH's reaction is not printable.
Whatever it is you accept and then do what you want with it.flowers

And for those who don't want to end up with a load of unwanted crap?

It's not crap. How hard is it to keep a small piece of jewellery or China and remember the person fondly when not you look at it?

Bibbity Wed 30-Mar-22 21:26:09

But it really is just crap to someone who doesn't want it.

Why is it so hard to put it in the bin in your kitchen? Or drop it off to the charity shop? Don't make stuff another persons burden.

That is not something I've noticed my generation tolerating. We don't like to much stuff. And that's a good thing to me.

62Granny Wed 30-Mar-22 21:49:14

She can't be much younger than your mother , perhaps she is thinking "who would want them after my days" ask if there is anything she does want instead but don't be offended if she says no. As you get older you start to not want more stuff.

Mogsmaw Wed 30-Mar-22 22:05:07

Hello all, I think you need a little more information. Mum was quite a difficult person and didn’t like the aunt. She, to be fair has made herself difficult to warm to.
When my dad died she “wanted a memento” and went rummaging through his room and came up with some watches which she had had to really search for and a desk lamp!
Mum was furious, she treated it like a house-clearance.
When she used to come at Christmas she’d brings bags of stuff for us, free combs from trips, all the cracker stuff left behind after a party. I got some children’s vests from Woolworths! They’d obviously been languishing somewhere for decades. My sister once got a huge box of sanitary products, she’s had a hysterectomy. My aunt definitely knew this.
We’re not ungrateful but we’re not poor relations.
So my mum and sister deciding to give her the pearls from her wedding was a magnanimous and generous gesture.
She did defiantly say she didn’t want them. The funeral is tomorrow and I’ve been charged with not letting her go through all the rooms looking for “a little something”, like a vulture.

vegansrock Thu 31-Mar-22 05:15:12

Sounds like there is no love lost between you and this Aunt so just hang onto those pearls and keep her at arms length. Hope the funeral goes as well as it can ???