Gransnet forums

AIBU

to feel sad that the Queen looks so frail.

(328 Posts)
snowberryZ Thu 14-Apr-22 15:13:19

Its popped up on my newsfeed that the Queen will be missing another royal engagement. There were also pictures of her looking even more frail still. Yes I know it's understandable at her age.
And it struck me that even though I'm a a bit of a republican, I am going to really miss her when she's no longer here. I get the 'feeling' that all is not as well as we're being led to believe.
The Queen has been a big constant in all our lives for so long, that I think you'd have to be a hard hearted person not to feel saddened when she's no longer here.
She's done such a good job.

Rosalyn69 Thu 14-Apr-22 17:11:27

I am saddened too.

Iam64 Thu 14-Apr-22 17:26:57

One of my earliest memories is going to grannie’s house to watch the Coronation on her brand new t.v.
I’m less of a republican now than I was 50 years ago. I’d welcome a v4ry slimmed down monarchy.
The Queen has been IMO a real leader during the pandemic. She keeps her comments brief and to the point. She’s a real skilled state person.
I’ll be very sad when she is no longer our Queen

BlueBelle Thu 14-Apr-22 17:27:18

Surely it’s expected, for anyone lucky enough still to be alive in their mid 90 to look very frail
I truly don’t understand why people feel sad she’s had a blessed and wonderful life as one of the richest women in the world
She should have a rest and let Charles and Camilla hold the reigns

volver Thu 14-Apr-22 17:30:55

ValerieF

I honestly wished the queen would have stepped down before this tbh. I feel sorry for Charles who has been groomed to be king since day 1. People might think he’s an idiot but that is what it was back then. I am one who would like to see Charles crowned. To overlook him now and go straight to William would imo be heartbreaking for someone who has tried their best. If it had been NOW he would never have married Diana when he loved someone else. That is what the royal family dictated at the time.

I don’t want to see the royal family dissolved. It’s our history ignore the Scots. It is OUR history and long May it continue.

sigh...

Scots independence, which I assume you are talking about, does not involve removing the Queen as head of state. But thanks for giving us more ammo for the cause that says that so many people in rUK don't really understand us.

So you can take YOUR history and stick it up your...no, be nice volver

Harris27 Thu 14-Apr-22 17:32:51

I love the queen and watch everything royal. I feel they are a family just like any other with the difference of wealth I would of hated to live my life in the spotlight amen with all they have. Yes I agree she should stand down and give Charles a role he needs to play.

Smileless2012 Thu 14-Apr-22 17:49:01

It is sad snowberry but only to be expected. Losing Prince Philip will have been an enormous blow, getting Covid and all the unpleasant drama within her own family will have taken its toll.

It will be a very sad day for the country when she dies, I'm no royalist but just the thought of it makes me sad too.

TerriBull Thu 14-Apr-22 17:52:08

Iam64

One of my earliest memories is going to grannie’s house to watch the Coronation on her brand new t.v.
I’m less of a republican now than I was 50 years ago. I’d welcome a v4ry slimmed down monarchy.
The Queen has been IMO a real leader during the pandemic. She keeps her comments brief and to the point. She’s a real skilled state person.
I’ll be very sad when she is no longer our Queen

Exactly how I feel Iam, I've moved from being completely disinterested in the royal family and probably veering on the side of republicanism to slowly coming round to appreciating the Queen, like so many of us of a certain age I've never known another monarch, always there the backdrop of our lives, I appreciate her stoicism. Agree also about a slimmed down monarchy, I think Prince Charles and Prince William will seek to implement that.

Esspee Thu 14-Apr-22 17:55:47

I am not a royalist but have great respect for the Queen. (With the exception of her continued support of Andrew).
When she goes, like paddyann, I think we should say enough is enough. Royalty is an anachronism which should be consigned to history.
Charles as king doesn’t bear thinking about.?

Grandma70s Thu 14-Apr-22 17:56:55

I think Charles is a sincere person, but the problem is he totally lacks charm. He would be a good but rather boring king, I feel.

I expect the Queen to outlive me (I’m 82), but I feel curious about the public reaction when she dies. There is nothing tragic, or even sad, about dying at her age. It would be a shock to the country all the same.

Parsley3 Thu 14-Apr-22 17:58:38

I don’t want to see the royal family dissolved. It’s our history ignore the Scots. It is OUR history and long May it continue.

What are you on about? The Queen is very fond of Scotland. She wouldn’t agree with you about ignoring the Scots.

ValerieF Thu 14-Apr-22 18:05:39

On the contrary Volver. I think I understand the Scots only too well. It’s the minority (on here) that I have a problem with and for the record I live in Scotland and ALL my children are Scottish ?.

volver Thu 14-Apr-22 18:23:39

Right so it's specific Scots you'd like to ignore then? How lovely that you live among us and know us so well

Do I count? Or are you planning on ignoring me too? ?

Blondiescot Thu 14-Apr-22 18:28:01

volver

Right so it's specific Scots you'd like to ignore then? How lovely that you live among us and know us so well

Do I count? Or are you planning on ignoring me too? ?

Yes, I'm curious about that too? Which of us are to be ignored?

volver Thu 14-Apr-22 18:30:30

Maybe we could have a WhatsApp group.

maddyone Thu 14-Apr-22 18:32:28

HettyBetty

She looks a lot less frail than other women of a similar age in my aunt's care home. She's a good age and will have the best care available.

This is the same in my mother’s care home. My mother is 94 and no longer mobile. She has to have a hoist to lift her into and out of bed. The Queen is fortunate having lived a life with others to take care of her every need, consequently she’s in good health for her age. She is a very lucky woman.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 14-Apr-22 18:33:43

Yes, I wonder too. Obviously my comment (17:10:09) is to be ignored. Hey ho.

foxie48 Thu 14-Apr-22 18:34:16

Gosh, she's 95 and actually doing really well. My MIL lived with us until she died aged 101, she came to our daughter's graduation ceremony on the hottest day of the year when she was 96. I know it was a huge effort for her but she was determined to be there. I think it's important for anyone when a great age, to be able to decide what they want and what they don't. The queen is no exception, she's earned her right to a bit of a retirement. When she dies I will be sad, despite holding republican views but I don't look forward to Charles being king.

Grandmabatty Thu 14-Apr-22 18:34:37

Despite your later protestations, saying 'ignore the scots' is inflammatory and really irrelevant to this thread.

wildswan16 Thu 14-Apr-22 18:35:37

I can't say that I feel sad about the Queen for she has had a long life representing our country so well. She certainly deserves a time of rest, peace and quiet after doing so much and I hope that she is allowed to have it.

As others have said, I can think of no-one else who has always "been there" since the day I was born. That constant presence will certainly leave a gap in my life.

volver Thu 14-Apr-22 18:37:23

As others have said, I can think of no-one else who has always "been there" since the day I was born

David Attenborough.

Grandma70s Thu 14-Apr-22 18:52:21

I was 13 when she was crowned Queen, but I remember her before that as Princess Elizabeth. I vaguely remember a book called The Little Princesses (about her and her sister Margaret).

Charleygirl5 Thu 14-Apr-22 18:59:02

The queen has always said she will never retire but I personally feel she should enjoy her remaining time doing what she wants. She is not going to so many meetings etc now I think she should leave Charles and Camilla to do the work. It would be cruel to make Charles step to one side to allow William and Kate to take over.

A slimmed-down monarchy is what we need and when the queen is no longer here I hope Andrew and Harry will be given their marching orders permanently.

Joane123 Thu 14-Apr-22 19:00:19

I remember the day her father George V1 died, and the teachers at my primary school in tears.
I think the Queen should now step aside and allow Charles to become King although I doubt she will.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 14-Apr-22 19:00:45

volver

^As others have said, I can think of no-one else who has always "been there" since the day I was born^

David Attenborough.

FFS , he may have been alive but was he there for everyone? Don’t bring everyone down to your sad SNP views.

volver Thu 14-Apr-22 19:03:00

Attenborough? SNP? confused

Its not me is it? That is really, really weird, isn't it? But actually, about as transparent as it could possibly be. wink