Gransnet forums

AIBU

To wonder why famous people feel they have to over share personal stuff

(164 Posts)
TerriBull Sun 08-Jan-23 14:15:49

No not another one about Harry!

I was just reading an article about Katherine Ryan stand up comic, bantering with Jonathan Ross, never a good idea given his track record. I stopped watching him ages ago I really don't like him. Anyway back to Katherine Ryan, admittedly I've only ever seen her on WDYTYA so I can't say whether she's funny or not It was reported among other things , she said this "her husband would sometimes abandon her to play golf as she has only 3 holes as opposed to 18" If a man said that I'd regard him as a sexist pig, so is it any better to hear that from a woman. Personally I don't think so, nor do I find such crassness remotely funny, just poor taste.

I'd be interested to know what others think.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 08-Jan-23 17:27:54

volver

😜

Have I turned to the dark side or seen the light? 😹😹😹

volver Sun 08-Jan-23 17:30:16

Oh, seen the light definitely. 💡

Janey has just done a voiceover of a certain red haired person with a frozen bit of his anatomy at a wedding. She's so funny.

Grammaretto Sun 08-Jan-23 17:34:45

They are sometimes funny these comedians. Someone said why watch if you don't like them?
I think you have to watch for a bit to see if it's funny.
Victoria Wood was usually very funny but vulgar too
I prefer them in sitcoms. I find standup embarrassing. I have to keep checking my pearls.

VioletSky Sun 08-Jan-23 17:40:59

MerylStreep

^they make these stories up for laughs^ no shit Sherlock 😂

No one has ever said this to me before

Is it a rude thing or a strong agreement thing?

icanhandthemback Sun 08-Jan-23 17:43:27

Personally, I think Katherine Ryan can be funny and that line made me chuckle. I think Sarah Millican can be hysterical. I don't like either comedian gets it right all the time but I think that is possibly the same for all comics. If you don't like their sense of humour, use the off button. If enough people do that, these comics will no longer be given air space...although these 2 are popular enough to shrug off those on Gransnet. smile

Kate1949 Sun 08-Jan-23 17:52:53

I don't watch any of them. However, they have a habit of popping up on other things I watch, as guests. Or clips of them appear advertising their shows so it's hard to avoid them really.

Nanatoone Sun 08-Jan-23 17:59:26

I tried to watch her new stand up. It’s was just plain embarrassing to me and I was on my own. I’m not a prude but I can’t say I enjoy certain types of jokes. I love Billy Connolly and he swears a bit. It’s the content. So I won’t be watching KR again, it’s not for me.

Maggiemaybe Sun 08-Jan-23 17:59:46

If nobody found her funny she wouldn’t be making a living out of comedy, but her humour’s not to my taste.

We booked for Sarah Millican at a very small venue many years ago, before she was well known, because we’d seen her once on TV and enjoyed her act. On the night she badly misjudged her audience and was very rude and crude. I felt a bit sorry for her after the interval when only about 12 of us came back. I still enjoy her TV act though.

Lucca Sun 08-Jan-23 18:05:58

GrannyGravy13

Blimey I need to get out more, agreeing with Fleurpepper and volver on the same thread, same day 🙀🙀🙀

I noticed that !
I think Sandi toksvig is funny and there an Irish girl,who is funny and whose name I don’t know (that’s helpful eh). Can’t abide mel and sue or Sara pascoe. Oh and Michael McIntyre is awful

I don’t really get the OP. It’s not over sharing its just telling a rude not funny “joke”

Fleurpepper Sun 08-Jan-23 18:12:36

Ah GG13, humour always wins smile.

Fleurpepper Sun 08-Jan-23 18:16:31

I find Rachel Parris so funny. She looks like the good girl next door, which makes what she comes out with so much more hilarious, and often spot on too.

Oreo Sun 08-Jan-23 19:43:06

HowVeryDareYou

I can't bear Kathryn Ryan or Jonathon Ross. I don't find either of them funny or interesting. Having said that, I can't think of even one woman I find funny

Interesting comment so I thought about this, and y’know I agree with you, I haven’t found even one woman to be funny either.
Dunno why this is!
Obvs there are funny female actors but their lines are scripted for them, and situation comedy is different to stand up.
Before anyone says Victoria Wood, I didn’t find her funny either.

Mollygo Sun 08-Jan-23 19:53:02

Sometimes I find a comedian funny on one occasion and not on another. Sometimes I don’t like them at all. Jennifer Saunders and Kathryn Tate come under that heading. Thank heavens for an off button.

HowVeryDareYou Sun 08-Jan-23 20:13:01

Oreo

HowVeryDareYou

I can't bear Kathryn Ryan or Jonathon Ross. I don't find either of them funny or interesting. Having said that, I can't think of even one woman I find funny

Interesting comment so I thought about this, and y’know I agree with you, I haven’t found even one woman to be funny either.
Dunno why this is!
Obvs there are funny female actors but their lines are scripted for them, and situation comedy is different to stand up.
Before anyone says Victoria Wood, I didn’t find her funny either.

I found Victoria Wood embarrassing to watch.

kircubbin2000 Sun 08-Jan-23 20:16:34

Someone called Helen Flanagan has announced she has had a secret boob job.

Oreo Sun 08-Jan-23 20:18:35

At least that’s two of us then HowVeryDareYou 👍🏻

Wyllow3 Sun 08-Jan-23 20:20:31

Joanna Lumley can be very 'vulgar' (think Ab Fab, I will never forget her description of sex with two men) but carries it off with such pzazz.

Iam64 Sun 08-Jan-23 20:24:35

I was a bit Queen Victoria and not amused by the 18 holes competing with 3.
Not funny, rather vulgar, maybe also made me a but uneasy given the pressure young women say they’re under to have anal sex,

JaneJudge Sun 08-Jan-23 21:55:46

Maybe some of not finding women 'funny' is because of misogyny and women have to behave themselves and act in a certain way

I saw Josh Jones and Russel Kane in the same night and that may well have cause a collective hot flush that would have solved the energy crisis #

#that's also misogynistic wink smile

Callistemon21 Sun 08-Jan-23 22:50:07

Iam64

I was a bit Queen Victoria and not amused by the 18 holes competing with 3.
Not funny, rather vulgar, maybe also made me a but uneasy given the pressure young women say they’re under to have anal sex,

She didn't shock me but I find her tedious and irritating, not at all funny.

Callistemon21 Sun 08-Jan-23 22:51:31

Sorry, I deleted something which referenced your post, Iam64 because I thought some might find it vulgar.

JaneJudge Sun 08-Jan-23 22:56:53

Callistemon21

Sorry, I deleted something which referenced your post, Iam64 because I thought some might find it vulgar.

👍

Callistemon21 Sun 08-Jan-23 23:09:39

Not that I thought Iam64's post was in any way vulgar but mine could have be construed by some in that way. 🙂

Grammaretto Sun 08-Jan-23 23:55:57

The sitcoms with women are funny.
Acorn antiques, vicar of Dibley, ab fab.
I laughed but they are very old now so am I

nanna8 Mon 09-Jan-23 00:24:56

I used to like Kath and Kim. Do you have that there ? I can’t stand the vicar of Dibley, very boring. Good job we are all different though. I’ve never heard of Katherine Ryan, not keen on sexist jokes from either males or females so I probably wouldn’t like her.