Gransnet forums

AIBU

To wonder why famous people feel they have to over share personal stuff

(164 Posts)
TerriBull Sun 08-Jan-23 14:15:49

No not another one about Harry!

I was just reading an article about Katherine Ryan stand up comic, bantering with Jonathan Ross, never a good idea given his track record. I stopped watching him ages ago I really don't like him. Anyway back to Katherine Ryan, admittedly I've only ever seen her on WDYTYA so I can't say whether she's funny or not It was reported among other things , she said this "her husband would sometimes abandon her to play golf as she has only 3 holes as opposed to 18" If a man said that I'd regard him as a sexist pig, so is it any better to hear that from a woman. Personally I don't think so, nor do I find such crassness remotely funny, just poor taste.

I'd be interested to know what others think.

JaneJudge Sun 15-Jan-23 16:50:48

Victoria Wood's sketch about Barry and Freda has to be one the most entertaining pieces ever written. There will never be another sad

JaneJudge Sun 15-Jan-23 16:51:11

and Caroline Aherne was a treasure too

Dickens Sun 15-Jan-23 17:50:58

JaneJudge

Victoria Wood's sketch about Barry and Freda has to be one the most entertaining pieces ever written. There will never be another sad

Oh absolutely - it's a classic, I just chortled the whole way through it the first time I heard it. It's a masterpiece!

I am so sorry that we lost her so early. sad

Callistemon21 Sun 15-Jan-23 20:00:48

I introdcued DD to Barry and Freda recently, we had a good laugh together!! Still funny after all these years.

Callistemon21 Sun 15-Jan-23 20:02:33

JaneJudge

and Caroline Aherne was a treasure too

“So Debbie, what first attracted you to the millionaire, Paul Daniels?”
Classic.

We met Paul Daniels and Debbie in a hotel once, a lovely couple. grin

Lucca Mon 16-Jan-23 14:42:59

JaneJudge

The health spa sketch with Julie walters in that baggy leotard….

The other one where she says you’re meant to clench your buttocks and Victoria says “ it would take two strong lads and a wheelbarrow to clench hers !

MayBee70 Mon 16-Jan-23 15:21:12

I was thinking about comedy last night because, whilst channel hopping I came upon George and Mildred. It was so dated and puerile; admittedly I never did find it funny. But then a programme about Spike Milligan came on and his humour imo hasn’t dated at all. Then again I came upon a Benny Hill show, again whilst channel hopping, and did find myself laughing at some of it because it was pure slapstick.

PinkCosmos Mon 16-Jan-23 17:00:27

Katherine Ryan was interviewed by Louis Theroux a while ago. I saw half of it and was really put off by some of her TMI comments.

I'm not keen on Sarah Millican as I find her a bit too crude sometimes. I am not a prude.

I do like some of the women who turn up on QI regularly (as well as Sandy Toksvig), though I haven't seen them doing stand up. For example, Aisling Bea. Her tv series (This way up) was very good.

Also Susan Calman, Sharon Horgan, the cast of Motherland who are also comedians in their own right

Julia Davies (Nighty Night TV Series) is strangely funny.

I was watching a tribute to Keeping up Appearances the other day. Patricia Routledge was a superb comedian. I appreciate it was all scripted but she certainly made the show - and reminded me of my MIL smile

Oreo Mon 16-Jan-23 17:11:29

To answer the OP, it’s cos they have an over inflated sense of their own worth and think the world is interested in their every move.🙄

FannyCornforth Mon 16-Jan-23 17:24:00

Lucca grin
I often use the ‘two big lads and a wheel barrow’ comment in various situations about myself!

Bridie22 Mon 16-Jan-23 18:37:54

Nighty Night brilliant series 🤣

Tanjamaltija Wed 18-Jan-23 12:33:41

Being vulgar is not good - especially when you use an old, sexist joke.

MissAdventure Wed 18-Jan-23 12:41:00

It can be very funny, though.

youtu.be/4_iLElHqv-w