Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

modern baby patterns

(27 Posts)
ggmarion Sun 12-Feb-17 15:05:55

My Dgd is expecting her second boy in July. When the first was born I knitted usual baby clothes but don't think they were worn. I would like to make something for the new little one but in a more up to date style and colour. Does anyone have any suggestions? The first seemed to wear grey or navy tops with designer logos and jeans from a very early age. I don't want to waste my time and effort. Patterns and materials are not cheap.

tanith Sun 12-Feb-17 15:53:34

There are lots of free patterns on Ravelry ggmarion and lots of lovely modern boys knits.

PoshGran Sun 12-Feb-17 15:57:03

ggmarion, I was desperate to knit something for first gc three years ago. DiL is part of an extended family who pass around babyclothes as needed, & modern mums seem to be very wary of washing handknit items. We agreed I could knit one "old fashioned" matinee coat & baby would be photo'd in it for grannies boasting book! I also knitted a very plain wrap-round style cardigan which DiL liked. I have the photo, & saw him wear the cardi 2 or 3 times.

You could trawl through internet sites which have free downloadable patterns, borrow patterns from friends, or check craft books in local library. Discuss things with Dgd & if you get the impression she's not that fussed just knit something - balls for a hanging mobile perhaps (!?) - anything, just to express your love for the newcomer.
He's a summer baby, so I might be inclined to go down the route of knitting colourful Christmas hats/cardis/toys etc.,etc. Your choice, & great fun for Baby's First Christmas photos.
smile

shysal Sun 12-Feb-17 16:25:33

This isn't modern particularly, but nor is it old fashioned. I made one for my first GC and it was well worn and enjoyed by all 3 of DD1's children.
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Baby-Childrens-Hooded-Jacket-DK-Knitting-Pattern-With-Pocket-Teddy-/200625276948?hash=item2eb632c814

Grannyknot Sun 12-Feb-17 16:44:58

Hi ggmarion I know what you mean - I sort of held my breath to see whether my DIL would welcome my knitting efforts for my first grandson in case they were deemed too old-fashioned.

Here are two patterns that went down well with my DIL and I think they have a modern look to them - (1) is a lovely all-in-one pattern for a new baby and it is easy to dress them in it, because it opens completely. Puerperium cardi both patterns are free on Ravelry:

uk.pinterest.com/pin/81979655689851336/

(2) is a pattern (I think I got it from someone on GN) it is also very easy to knit, all in one and it was extremely popular because the batwing sleeves again made dressing easy. I knitted it in pale grey, crochet around the edge in yellow and added yellow buttons.

www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-pink-garter-stitch-cardigan

Another item you could knit of course is a blanket - there are loads of easy free patterns for baby blankets.

Enjoy!

ggmarion Sun 12-Feb-17 17:07:32

Thank you all, your ideas are so good. shysal, I LOVED the jacket with Teddy pocket. Hadn't thought of ebay. I will also have a look at some of the free patterns to download.

mumofmadboys Sun 12-Feb-17 17:18:01

Someone knitted my boys hooded jackets in pale blue with buttons. They were so useful when I carried them around in a front sling and they wore them no end.

rubysong Sun 12-Feb-17 18:15:48

Grannyknot where will I find the'all in one' pattern? I have knitted the puerperium cardigan for our new little person (born last weekend) she is tiny so I am looking at Ravelry for tiny things and currently knitting a 5lb cardigan.

Jalima Sun 12-Feb-17 18:54:07

Sirdar do their Snuggly yarn (lovely and soft) in denim blue and other modern colours.

Make the most of it, I think my DGC are going off hand-knitteds!

I found this book last week which has some easy looking modern knits in it:
www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?productId=386191

Jalima Sun 12-Feb-17 18:55:12

Other retailers may be available! smile

Grannyknot Sun 12-Feb-17 20:17:31

Ruby it is also on Ravelry on that link I posted (baby pink garter stitch cardigan). If you can't find it let me know and I'll send you the PDF.

Congrats on the little addition to your family! flowers

Grannyknot Sun 12-Feb-17 20:21:41

This is another fab all in one pattern:

nevernotknitting.blogspot.co.uk

Also on Ravelry.

Grannyknot Sun 12-Feb-17 20:22:36

Oops sorry, wrong link. Look for Baby Sophisticate Cardigan on Ravelry.

hildajenniJ Sun 12-Feb-17 22:03:11

I've just finished this little jacket. here's the link I've made it in the 6 month size. There are loads of funky pattern on the internet, you just have to trawl through them all to find the good ones. This one was free.

hildajenniJ Sun 12-Feb-17 22:03:53

Oh, by the way, it's crocheted.

Grannyknot Sun 12-Feb-17 22:24:15

Lovely Hilda.

Grannyknot Mon 13-Feb-17 07:50:08

Found the Baby Sophisticate pattern, here it is, it's an easy pattern for an impressive final product, it would look good in cream, I think:

www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-sophisticate-2

Thingmajig Mon 13-Feb-17 10:32:51

DD and step-DD are both expecting a baby boy in a couple of months and I've had to go hunting down nice boy patterns ... I have a huge folder of girl patterns for DGD!

Anyway, I let DD loose with my bundle of patterns and she opted for cardies with shawl collars I've found some on Etsy which turn out much cheaper than buying actual patterns. My local wool shop only sell patterns with wool so not much use for me when I buy the wool on-line.

Nana3 Mon 13-Feb-17 11:01:19

The pram blanket I made with cotton yarn was well used by DD for both of my DGD 's. Hobbycraft have WI patterns and some lovely soft WI baby yarn. (Other yarns, patterns, shops, available).
Happy knitting ggmarion.

Galen Mon 13-Feb-17 11:43:12

I've crocheted several blankets for gcs and friends

Galen Mon 13-Feb-17 11:44:38

The rainbow one is much loved by dgd1 and resorted to when feeling poorly

Gloriam55 Wed 15-Feb-17 12:39:40

Try to knit fruit or flower patterns on the dresses.

Hm999 Wed 22-Feb-17 09:20:52

Show DiL a selection of styles from internet and ask her to choose which she likes best

MawBroon Wed 22-Feb-17 09:43:13

I enjoyed doing "blankies" - even I could not go TOO far wrong, although the baby sleeping bag I attempted for DGS1 ended up like a hot water bottle cover. DD was very kind.
This was the most recent.

Jalima Wed 22-Feb-17 15:48:35

Is that different squares joined together or all in one MawBroon? Did you crochet round the edge?
It's lovely

and Galen - I still can't crochet!