Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What have you sewn lately?

(60 Posts)
watermeadow Mon 06-Mar-23 18:54:52

I do hand-sewn patchwork and counted thread work, I only use a sewing machine for essentials like curtains and cushions but needed new covers for the kitchen chair cushions,
I bought a big remnant of beautiful expensive fabric with pine cones and have made 5 cushion covers, a table runner, a curtain for under the sink and an apron. My kitchen is now awash with pine cones.

Callistemon21 Tue 07-Mar-23 10:54:34

I have made 16? blankets since lockdown. Oh, and one for the dog as well.

Now, that's what you call virtue signalling ๐Ÿ˜‡

Gardenersdelight Tue 07-Mar-23 10:57:08

@maggiemaybe I've started darning and also patched a hole in the pocket of my husbands jeans
Not pretty but functional and saves throwing things out

Callistemon21 Tue 07-Mar-23 10:58:15

Gardenersdelight

@maggiemaybe I've started darning and also patched a hole in the pocket of my husbands jeans

Don't tell my DH , he wants me to mend his disreputable holey old jumper.

AskAlice Tue 07-Mar-23 10:59:14

Callistemon - oh, I know! My 10 year old DGD very tentatively requested recently could I not make her any more dresses as she doesn't really wear them. She hastily added that she loves the sweatshirts, leggings and shorts that I make so I could still make those for her! Bless her smile. I always make a point of letting her know that if she doesn't like something, she doesn't have to pretend just to make me happy...

Callistemon21 Tue 07-Mar-23 11:02:07

The same with knitted jumpers and cardies, AskAlice!

I tried to knit something fashionable but when they reached the age of about 9 or 10 I realised they left them carefully put away in a drawer.

As DD used to say "I'll wear that tomorrow" but tomorrow never comes.

Yammy Tue 07-Mar-23 11:22:18

Callistemon21

Gardenersdelight

While you're at it will you mend my Dh's three that I had hidden,
It was one last week. Now he has found the other two.
Also, are you in the mood for patching? He wants me to patch some Rohan walking trousers he has had since just after DD was born she is in her middle 40s.smile

NotSpaghetti Tue 07-Mar-23 11:27:17

I have been mending too.
All very annoying as most are off to Oxfam. confused

eazybee Tue 07-Mar-23 13:35:32

Two pairs of curtains for the baby's room.

He is now 48.

Fleurpepper Tue 07-Mar-23 13:43:10

Callistemon21

I have made 16? blankets since lockdown. Oh, and one for the dog as well.

Now, that's what you call virtue signalling ๐Ÿ˜‡

LOL, I have been sitting on my hands here- not to ask if this thread is just that smile

(it isn't btw- well done all of you who have made wonderful things as shown above).

Gardenersdelight Tue 07-Mar-23 16:59:19

To those asking my rates ate very good!! Coffee and cake ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜„

Callistemon21 Tue 07-Mar-23 17:14:35

Yammy

Callistemon21

Gardenersdelight

While you're at it will you mend my Dh's three that I had hidden,
It was one last week. Now he has found the other two.
Also, are you in the mood for patching? He wants me to patch some Rohan walking trousers he has had since just after DD was born she is in her middle 40s.smile

Put two fingers into the hole and pull in opposite directions.

It's very satisfying ๐Ÿ˜‚

saltnshake Tue 07-Mar-23 18:29:45

I loved seeing the lovely things that you have made. such clever ladies. To answer Ilovecheeses question - what is a crumb quilt? Well, a scrap quilt is made from the pieces left over from making a quilt; a crumb quilt is made by using the small scraps left from your scrap quilt, pieces too small to do much with. They are joined randomly rather like crazy patchwork.

AskAlice Tue 07-Mar-23 18:33:08

I like the sound of that saltnshake. I've got lots of scraps of scraps and have never made a quilt before but that might be do- able for me!

AskAlice Tue 07-Mar-23 19:47:13

I've now Youtubed crumb quilts and it looks fascinating! All I have to do now is work out what you do when you've got all your scraps sewn up and made into a reasonable-sized square or rectangle! This might be addictive...

MaggsMcG Tue 07-Mar-23 19:49:15

hem of a pair of trousers because I'm only 4ft 10inches so every pair of trousers I have to chop off loads and hem. Other than that the occasional button. Oh and my knitting.

Rosie51 Tue 07-Mar-23 19:57:15

AskAlice those dresses are lovely, I want to make some for my 6 months old twin granddaughters. May I ask what pattern you used, I had a search online the other day and couldn't find one I likes?

Rosie51 Tue 07-Mar-23 19:58:52

*liked!

fancythat Tue 07-Mar-23 20:27:43

Nothing. My husband does it.
I am useless at it and my husband comes from a family who sew well.
He got fed up of my sewing, still making buttons come off, so he took over.

srn63 Wed 08-Mar-23 06:44:33

I have just finished a bookcase quilt.

srn63 Wed 08-Mar-23 06:47:46

I have also just made this rug by sewing fabric samples together and backing them, quite pleased with a free rug!

AskAlice Wed 08-Mar-23 08:47:43

Rosie51 , the strawberry and green dresses are Simplicity 8304. I made view C , one with and one without pockets. For the neckline, I didn't use bias binding as suggested but drafted my own facings and used the same fabric as the dress. Much softer and it lays better (lays, lies??).

The little yellow one is a free pattern that I downloaded from the internet at sewcraftyme.com. It goes from newborn to 12 months so should be perfect for your GDs. Here's a link:

sewcraftyme.com/baby-girl-dress-sewing-pattern.html

AskAlice Wed 08-Mar-23 08:49:55

Just go the bit before the start of the instructions where it says "Download the Template", you don't have to buy the ad-free version.

MerylStreep Wed 08-Mar-23 09:03:07

srn63

I have just finished a bookcase quilt.

Iโ€™m in awe of this quilt. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

AskAlice Wed 08-Mar-23 09:13:15

srn63 that quilt is wonderful - you are so clever!

Jbp1 Wed 08-Mar-23 09:59:38

Loving all your photos. ๐Ÿฅฐ
Bookcase quilt is amazing!๐Ÿ“š