Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

What have you sewn lately?

(60 Posts)
watermeadow Mon 06-Mar-23 18:54:52

I do hand-sewn patchwork and counted thread work, I only use a sewing machine for essentials like curtains and cushions but needed new covers for the kitchen chair cushions,
I bought a big remnant of beautiful expensive fabric with pine cones and have made 5 cushion covers, a table runner, a curtain for under the sink and an apron. My kitchen is now awash with pine cones.

Fleurpepper Wed 08-Mar-23 10:07:13

srn63

I have also just made this rug by sewing fabric samples together and backing them, quite pleased with a free rug!

Amazing. Reminded me of my childhood though, when I asked my dad if we could brighten up my bedroom, and he asked his friend, a decorator, to give us wallpaper sample books. We cut out the pieces and made a huge patchwork on the floor to match up colours and patterns- and then wallpapered the room. I was so proud of it.

Recently I met someone who lived in that apartment after we left- and I asked him which was his room. The one at the end, SW, with the 2 windows, he replied. Did it still have the patchwork wallpaper? The answer was yes. He had always wondered who and how this had been done.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 08-Mar-23 10:17:17

I've put together a 'teddy' from a book called Two Hour Teddy Bears - which is obviously a bit of a misnomer. However, I often have trouble with the faces and it looks more like a large mouse to me.

henetha Wed 08-Mar-23 10:24:31

Nothing much, but I did repair a folding up shopping bag which I carry with me these days. I put too much shopping in it recently and the bottom came unstitched and the shopping fell out. I refuse to throw it away so I have sewn it up as firmly as I can.
There's something satisfactory about mending things.

LRavenscroft Wed 08-Mar-23 11:24:56

Just hand sewn a patchwork heat mat using scraps of cotton fabric. I battled with mitred corners which I yet have to perfect.

Fernbergien Wed 08-Mar-23 11:41:55

Lifted the neck on a Joules top. Neck too wide. Long thin triangle with the short end at neck. Starting with “nothing “ at shoulder seam then increasing.

Rosie51 Wed 08-Mar-23 12:24:46

Thanks AskAlice I'll do the same with the neckline, draft facings, especially for baby clothes, much kinder on their delicate skin.

eddiecat78 Tue 21-Mar-23 11:28:04

I converted 2 military uniforms into cushions for my ex-military son.
I am also sewing a large abstract cross-stitch panel which I am not particularly enjoying as it is on a dark blue background and my eyes can't cope with it

Llamedos13 Tue 21-Mar-23 12:32:36

I made this from a charity shop fur coat. It’s for my grandsons jungle themed nursery

AreWeThereYet Tue 21-Mar-23 13:48:28

So many clever, beautiful things. Love these threads.