Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Photos of my children to send to grandparents - would you be offended

(40 Posts)
redblue Thu 14-Mar-13 17:02:58

Depending on your point of view you might be amused by this query or you might have strong feelings - in which case I want to hear the strong feelings!
I took my two children under the age of 4 to sainsburys to do the shop and decided to try to copy photos I had taken January - March 2013 onto a CD rom disc 3 times to send to my husbands parents (mother & her partner and separately his father and then separately his gran). They all live a long way away (3-4 hours in the car) so we don't see them often
Being slightly distracted by keeping my children in check, and because the process of producing 3 CD roms at the instore timpsons was going to take a while for the photos to copy, I just pressed "copy all photos". Getting the 3 lots of CD roms home I note to my slight horror that whilst most of the photos are innocent and fine the first one is of both of my children standing up in the bath and the picture displays their "whole" bodies - ! nothing whatsoever of alarm to me but to grandparents who don't see them often I think this might be a bit "too much information" so to speak!
I have tried to delete the single offending photo in question from each of the 3 discs but it says to my frustration that the discs are "read only" and I cannot delete it. - grrr, I am now thinking I have three discs I cannot risk sending because one of the photos contains a bit too much nakedness although they are just standing there smiling at the camera it is not the sort of thing my husbands grandma, and separately his mother or father would want to see
I am thinking of chalking it up to experience and keeping the discs for my own records and maybe in a month or two just trying to go to boots on my own to print one or two photos to send instead. What do you think? would you be offended if you rarely saw your grandchildren and then you were sent a cd rom of photos one of which had an "in the bath" picture as described? honest answers are what i am looking for. My children are girl 4 yrs boy coming up for 3 years - thanks

Bags Fri 15-Mar-13 05:51:28

Well said, ga. We worry too much nowadays about whether people will choose to be offended by this or that or whatever, forgetting that it's the people choosing to be offended by something innocent and innoffensive who have the problem.

whenim64 Fri 15-Mar-13 09:21:35

Hear, hear ga and Bags! Why should loving, protective parents and grandparents have their behaviour changed because of society's growing awareness about child abuse? This is normal, happy family life, and is to be celebrated. smile

Grannyknot Fri 15-Mar-13 09:40:09

Well said ga and Bags.

Friends of ours visited here some years ago, their first time in London, and went to the Science Museum, where our friend was so excited to see some of the exhibits he happily started taking photographs, only to be viciously verbally attacked by a woman (not a staff member) accusing him of photographing her children.

He was totally bewildered and taken aback - oblivious that people may think he had ulterior motives, it had to be explained to him what was actually being suggested. Then he was horrified.

Flowerofthewest Mon 08-Apr-13 10:18:36

Send them with an amusing covering note explaining what happened. Oh redblue sorry have repeated your comment. Oh well thats two

absent Mon 08-Apr-13 10:25:35

I am at a loss to imagine what sort of grandparent would find photographs of young children in the bath offensive. My father took a cine film of the two-year old me running stark naked down the beach back into the sea after my mother had removed my cosi to dry me. Neither of them would have batted an eyelid about photographs of naked grandchildren in the bath. I just wished they had lived long enough to see them.

nanaej Mon 08-Apr-13 10:30:49

At the end of March last year we had a heatwave and 2 of my GC (4yrs & under) pranced naked in the garden as they sploshed each other with water! I have photos of this jolly afternoon.

If your families lived nearer they may be involved in more childcare which could include bathtime ..where they would see the children 'nudie rudie' as my g'kids say anyway.

Cannot see any problem in a normal happy family shot of kiddies naked. We cannot start with the default position that photos of naked children are a bad/dangerous thing. We do need to understand, and train our children, that they should never be made to have photos taken when they have been specifically asked to undress for them or when they feel in any way unhappy about it. They have a right to say no.

sunseeker Mon 08-Apr-13 10:31:19

It is a shame when something so innocent can be misconstrued.

I remember my brother used to have long talks with his little granddaughter, usually sitting on his bed, when she would tell him all her secrets (her mother is a single parent). Some time later when I asked him if he was still having those talks he looked very sad and said that yes they were but now they had them sitting on a bench in the garden. Someone had pointed out to him that if she had gone to school and told everyone that she spent time with her Grandad on his bed it could be misconstrued.

I find this very sad

Mishap Mon 08-Apr-13 11:56:31

Good grief - how pathetic. My OH spends lots of time with his little GCn on/in bed chatting away, reading, laughing and cuddling. This warped "someone" who felt the need to talk such nonsense should have been sent away with flea in ear.

HappyNanna Mon 08-Apr-13 13:04:16

Don't know whether or not you've already sent the discs (as the post was back in March) but I'm afraid I don't agree with most of the replies. Personally, I would not send them. The very fact that you've asked the question means you're not comfortable with it either.

Eloethan Mon 08-Apr-13 17:17:38

grannyknot I think that's totally ridiculous. If other people's children can never be in shot in a photograph, there are probably many places (like the seaside, a funfair, etc., etc.) where you couldn't take any photos.

I'm all for being sensibly vigilant, but, really, things are getting out of hand.

nanaej Mon 08-Apr-13 17:26:14

Why Happynanna? You did not expand on why you would disagree.

Flowerofthewest Mon 08-Apr-13 22:39:51

I remember my son aged 3 playing upstairs with his little friend - female - her mum and I went to tell them it was time to go and they were sitting naked in a 'nest' made out of a duvet. My friend saw red grabbed the girl shouting at her. I quietly asked my little why they were naked, he replied that they were playing at being baby birds and that baby bird don't wear clothes - good enough for me. I think that so many people over react and read all the wrong things into innocent situations.

Mishap Mon 08-Apr-13 22:45:09

One of my GP friends used to take her DD to surgery sometimes when she was little; and she finished up being there during a family planning clinic. Needless to say a few days later she was found playing Family Planning Clinics with her little friend - you do not need to know the details!!

Flower - I love the baby birds story. What a silly mum to get in a panic over it - what message does that send to the children?

nanaej Mon 08-Apr-13 22:51:06

my DDs and their friends were, and now DGCs are, always stripping off! it's what kids do in all innocence and adults add their own hang ups!