Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Staying young Beauty tips

(69 Posts)
Audreyab Fri 29-Mar-13 23:33:47

Mine is always put cold water under your eyes in the morning to keep the skin firm--it works....looking forward to reading tips....

sunflowersuffolk Sat 30-Mar-13 08:50:32

Don't look in the mirror when wearing my glasses, and certainly never use the magnifying side! sorry couldn't resist!

I will try the water tip thanks, as my eyes seem to be disappearing.

I use Liz Earle cleanse and polish, which means twice a day I massage it all over my face for a few minutes, and remove with damp warm muslin cloth, which is a light exfoliater. I think the massaging helps a little keeping the skin soft and firmish, but a lot of it is down to our genes, and unfortunately I'm not lucky there.

Also smoking is not good for the skin, especially the lines around the mouth.

Grannyknot Sat 30-Mar-13 09:00:57

When I had a medical procedure a while ago (under local aneasthetic) and I gave permission for a bunch of students to be present, in my woozy state from the pre-med, I heard the surgeon telling them "A life long non smoker". Afterwards I asked him "Did I hear right and how did you know?" And he replied "It's in the complexion, my dear".

I'll try the cold water trick, other than that I do the usual: good night's sleep, exfoliate and moisturise, less is more with make up, look after my teeth, smile lots ... smile

janeainsworth Sat 30-Mar-13 09:04:37

Find a good hairdresser grin

celebgran Sat 30-Mar-13 09:45:08

Use under eye cream daily!

Protect skin from ageing sun always use good moisturiser with UVA factors obvious tips really!

Take vitamin c and drink lots water or squash!

No 7 do very good hot cloth cleanser which leaves skin feeling lovely not pricey either!

nightowl Sat 30-Mar-13 10:01:43

I agree jane but even a good hairdresser has to have the raw material to work with. I despair of my hair ever doing anything but hang there apologetically sad

absent Sat 30-Mar-13 10:02:50

You cannot stay young. Everyone ages from the moment of birth. You can attempt to make yourself look younger than you are but then who decides what is the standard appearance of someone of 30, 40, 50, 60, 70? I don't regard "Oh you look much younger than 62" as a compliment; this is what I look like at 62 and that's all there is to it.

gracesmum Sat 30-Mar-13 13:25:24

Thank you absent I am getting .I would like as good as I can, whatever age I am. Not "good for my age"!! Let's be proud of who and what we are!

Movedalot Sat 30-Mar-13 13:40:06

nightowl same here. Unfortunatelt 1 DS inherited it too. sad

kittylester Sat 30-Mar-13 15:27:17

My hair is as 'straight as a yard of pump water', to quote my ever complimentary mother, very fine and a really faded (grey) mouse. I agree with Jane, a good cut plus lots of fine highlights (which give it body) and my hair is actually quite good. And it detracts from the rest of me shock

I don't want to be anything other than who I am and to look my best with as little effort as possible as GM said.

Ana Sat 30-Mar-13 15:28:54

My tip is: Don't worry about ageing - anxiety and stress are not good for the complexion! wink

Audreyab Sat 30-Mar-13 16:11:03

Really good posts and I agree with all of them and will try the tips. Its not about being anxious about things its just making the best of what you have.

I have not smoked ever and so I hope that will go in my faviour. The worse thing for me is my face seems to be dragging downwards a bit more than other people my age and just trying to do something about it..

Thanks again smile

MargaretX Sat 30-Mar-13 16:38:35

I despair of my hair which used to be my crowning glory and is now white at the front and brown at the back! Apparently I still have a sprightly walk, people take me from behind for a much younger person.
I agree with Ana try not to worry about it. I couldn't use cream under my eyes as my eyes are soon allergic to face creams and watery eyes are not exactly youthful.

What I DON'T do is wash my face with soap and water. Apart from hairwashing my face is cleansed with a simple cream (which I am not allergic to )every night and water is avoided. I have done this for the last 40 years.

Audreyab Sat 30-Mar-13 17:07:06

Margaret me too with the stinging eyes, I put eye cream on and my eyes sting, glad its not just me.

sunflowersuffolk Sun 31-Mar-13 12:32:17

Celebgran, thanks for the idea - I will try that No 7 Hot Cloth Cleanser, as the Liz Earle is quite expensive, and has now been bought out by Avon anyway, so probably will change.

JessM Sun 31-Mar-13 12:59:21

Plenty of fluids in the morning, when dehydrated. I do not believe you have to glug down multiple litres of the plain water though. But a few extra mugs of tea have a face boosting effect.
No scientific basis for high intake of water.
Avoid too much sun on face and avoid smoking. Don't frown.
Expensive moisturising creams etc are almost certainly a waste of money but companies do not do proper research or if they do, they don't publish their results. 8 out of 10 women agree is not proper research.

sunflowersuffolk Sun 31-Mar-13 13:08:50

I use serum and face cream from Lidl or Aldi, and i think they are just as good as the more expensive ones. Not such a fancy packet or smell though.

sunflowersuffolk Sun 31-Mar-13 13:47:28

I still dye my hair, if I didn't I think it would be a nasty mix of faded brown and salt and pepper, and rather ageing. Once I give up work, I'm not sure how long I will carry on dying it.

When people have silver grey hair I think it looks lovely.

Anne58 Sun 31-Mar-13 16:28:13

I smoke, I drink, I'll be going out with sailors next!

I used to do the CTM routine with various unguents, have been very lazy since not working = not wearing make-up every day= not having to take make-up off each night.

I will however get back into some sort of routine, but fear it will be damage limitation.

I do however have my hair cut and coloured regularly. I would love to let the colour grow out and see what sort of grey I am, but just can't face the stripy badger effect while it happens.

Ella46 Sun 31-Mar-13 16:35:10

sunflower and celeb, Superdrug also do a hot cloth facewash with Vit.E, which is cheap and doesn't dry my skin.
In fact they do a range of Vit.E stuff which is very good value.

I stopped having highlights in my hair about a year ago, and as it is going nicely white around my face, I quite like it. (see my recent pic on my profile)

Ana Sun 31-Mar-13 16:44:43

Your hair looks gorgeous, Ella! envy

sunflowersuffolk Sun 31-Mar-13 16:50:16

Thanks Ella, will bear that in mind too when I run out.

I agree your hair looks fantastic, I like the way you've done your eye make up too. I know mine comes through more stripey grey and faded brown. Maybe in another year or so it will all be grey and I'll give up the dye. Just not yet.

Audreyab Sun 31-Mar-13 16:57:58

Phoenix i was worried about the grey coming through and at first it did look different but after a while it does look quite good once a few have come through be brave smile

If anyone has any tips for dropping face I would be so grateful.... the sides of my mouth have deep lines but other people of my age do not have them, I read somewere that it can happen if you have early Menapause, which I did

I know someone on here said that creams don't help but I do believe that they do as they actually work on me, when I don't use them things are much worse, I use Loreal firming cream

glammanana Sun 31-Mar-13 19:23:50

I gave up on the grey coming through and went back to the "Nice & Easy" in no 98 very pale blonde,thing is it works out expensive as I have to use 2 boxes with the length of my mop,I just did not like the grey colour with my complextion it made me look constantly ill.
I can't manage without moisturiser everyday and use Liz Earl and her face wash with the muslin cloth's but after reading above I will try superdrugs brand.

Ella46 Sun 31-Mar-13 19:31:27

Audrey, apart from Botox/fillers for those deep lines, which I wouldn't want, I can only say "keep smiling" and no one will notice! smile