Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Oh What to do???

(48 Posts)
Flowerofthewest Sun 08-Sep-13 19:01:53

I agreed a few weeks ago to have my two very boisterous grandsons from Friday evening to Sunday evening because my DS wanted to take my DIL to a food festival for the weekend. As they don't have a lot of 'me' time I agreed to have the boys. I have had to forgo my other DIL's baby shower because I have the boys but accept this (children are not welcomed to the baby shower????) Today at my DGS birthday party I overheard my DS telling his friend that he was looking forward to next Saturday (when I have the children) and going out drinking. It happens that they are going to his friend's son's 18th Birthday drinks around a local town. Nothing has been said about their change of plans. I really only need to have the boys for the Saturday afternoon and overnight. I wish they would come clean and tell the truth, Do I confront him or be made to feel a fool by pretending that I still think they are going to the Food Festival.

LizG Mon 09-Sep-13 23:39:15

Oops, silly me that was supposed to be flower. Lucky I didn't put flowers. think my brain is exhausted. smile

whenim64 Mon 09-Sep-13 23:42:22

Tegan an American therapist who worked mainly with teenagers called those toxic thoughts 'Stinkin' Thinkin'! grin

thatbags Tue 10-Sep-13 07:31:56

Glad to hear of the good outcome, flower.

annodomini Tue 10-Sep-13 08:13:48

Glad to hear about this outcome, flower. Enjoy your break.
Tegan, 'toxic thoughts' is an interesting expression. I think I have been in the habit of disregarding them for a long time without knowing that what they were called.

petra Tue 10-Sep-13 09:49:41

On the subject of worry. Am I the only one that waits for the next worry.
When I tell my DD some of my worries, she just looks at me and says, do what YOU want to do. She is wonderful at this. I don't know where she gets it from as I nearly disappear up my own a..e trying to please everyone.

whenim64 Tue 10-Sep-13 09:54:40

anno they're frequently called 'negative automatic thoughts (NATs)', too.

Greatnan Tue 10-Sep-13 10:07:40

When my thoughts start to slide towards the big, black hole I re-live one of my favourite walks and I find I can get to sleep.

AlieOxon Tue 10-Sep-13 10:26:24

I have these thoughts too, usually defending myself against something that hasn't happened..........often at 3am.....I usually read.

Greatnan Tue 10-Sep-13 10:30:52

Unfortunately, my problem has happened and continues with not much hope of a happy ending. Having done all I can to put things right, my only option is to get on with my life and refuse to let it be ruined.

Movedalot Tue 10-Sep-13 10:49:44

Only just come on Gn after being away and just read all this. I think it is so easy to only have part of the information and assume the worst. Surely it is better to try to gently resolve something than to let it fester? I won't go into details but we had a situation of misunderstanding this weekend and when we all finally got together on Skype it was resolved. I think that one part of the family was trying to protect another part of the family from hurt which inadvertently caused some hurt!

Flowerofthewest Sun 15-Sep-13 11:10:07

UPDATE ON OVERNIGHTER:

The boys are here, just for the afternoon, til lunchtime, they have been a dream. No arguing, polite, fun and funny. They went for a long and muddy walk with grandpa while I cooked their favourite of sausage, chips and beans followed by icecream. I reinforced how very good they were including the 'eavesdropping' method. The little one went to bed at 7.30 and straight to sleep the older one (5) cuddled with me while we watched TV til 9 - late for him but we both enjoyed it. Little one awake at 7.30 am, played quietly, his brother woke at 8.30 - same. I think that children are how you expect them to be. They had a lot of positive attention and were wonderful.

grin

Grannyknot Sun 15-Sep-13 11:33:50

Re 'toxic thoughts' - in the addictions field I sometimes hear it referred to as "stinking thinking". I agree it does help to check it when 'the chatterbox' needs silencing. My son speaks of 'thoughts that exercise squatter's rights in my brainbox'. smile

yogagran Sun 15-Sep-13 11:36:59

Sounds perfect flowers and you'd be happy to do it again I'm sure.
Lovely time with the Grandchildren - that's what we all like smile

Flowerofthewest Mon 16-Sep-13 20:27:53

Always happy to look after all my grandchildren yogagran, it was the imagined deceit that got to me - silly me

Jendurham Mon 16-Sep-13 22:38:58

"Toxic thoughts" are a bit of a problem when you are on your own, with nobody to test them out on.
I always find that when I get them out in the open, whoever they are directed laughs at me and explains why I needn't have thought like that. However, you have to be brave to get them out in the open in the first place.
I actually haven't spoken to anyone for 48 hours. I do not know if my voice still works. That's when toxic thoughts can happen, and when Gransnet is useful.

Grannyknot Tue 17-Sep-13 07:21:25

Jendurham home alone, eh. Good that you can 'talk' to us on here. And if you're wondering whether your voice still works - put on a youtube favourite and sing along ... smile

Stansgran Tue 17-Sep-13 08:48:23

Jen what about the Silver line?

absent Tue 17-Sep-13 08:55:50

If you don't want to have your grandchildren staying overnight, say "no". If you do, say "yes". What is the problem? Why make life so difficult?

petallus Tue 17-Sep-13 09:16:56

I have never found it to be that simple.

In my case, I would be saying 'no' not just to my children but to my grandchildren who love staying with us. There's only one at that age now but I look at his beaming face, confident that it will be as much of a treat for us as it is for him, and say 'yes' even though I might have been looking forward to a rest.

j08 Tue 17-Sep-13 09:47:54

Jendurham flowers sunshine cupcake

dustyangel Tue 17-Sep-13 09:54:48

Jendurhamflowers

Flowerofthewest Tue 17-Sep-13 12:33:34

Absent! I do and did want the children overnight. The problem was that I felt I was being taken for a ride. I often have them overnight and we all enjoy it. If I can't then I will say so - if I can then I will gladly have them. As Petallus says it is a treat for us all. I didn't make life difficult except in my mind - If you knew my DS and his wife you would understand why I was confused. Its over now and all is well.