Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Upper Crust

(48 Posts)
Riverwalk Tue 01-Oct-13 13:47:57

Do you know the price of a loaf of bread?

MiceElf Tue 01-Oct-13 16:44:11

Daisy, if your own bread has that slightly odd taste, it could be because the flour is getting a little old. The wheat germ will go 'sour' after a time. The big supermarkets have a swift turnover, but smaller outlets may have kept their wholemeal flour too long.

Grannylin Tue 01-Oct-13 17:07:47

fxbites.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/the-dough-bringer.html

FlicketyB Tue 01-Oct-13 17:52:13

From our local artisan bakery about 1.75 for the granary loaf I buy, but worth every penny.

absent Tue 01-Oct-13 18:18:52

Off the point but also very much on it, I learned only very recently where the expression "upper crust" comes from. Bread ovens were often heated by a shovel or two of the hot fuel from the cooking range and the shaped dough was placed directly on top. Of course, once cooked, the underside of the loaf was decidedly ashy so the upper crust was cut off for the employer's family and the other part was kept for the servants.

Ana Tue 01-Oct-13 18:47:39

Thanks, absent! I'd never questioned where the expression came from - just assumed in a vague sort of way that I knew (turns out I didn't!)

Daisyanswerdo Tue 01-Oct-13 22:39:20

Thanks again MiceElf, I'll check the flour.

Tegan Tue 01-Oct-13 23:12:26

kitty; if you need gluten free bread can't you get it on prescription/

Maniac Wed 02-Oct-13 05:32:00

My favourite is Crank's bread.I can only buy at Waitrose.Price now £1.85 They now refuse to slice any bread except their own make.Grrr!!

vampirequeen Wed 02-Oct-13 08:20:38

I know they've reduced the list of foods available on prescription but you can still get the basics like bread and pasta.

ninathenana Wed 02-Oct-13 09:07:16

Impressed by DH he says "about £1-£1.50 depending"

LizG Wed 02-Oct-13 09:14:13

I'm impressed with your training ninathenana grin

dorsetpennt Wed 02-Oct-13 09:28:15

Small granary Hovis 70p, large one £1.45.

Gally Wed 02-Oct-13 09:43:22

50p for a small tiger loaf in Asda

kittylester Wed 02-Oct-13 10:26:14

But the bread is disgusting Tegan! sad

Tegan Wed 02-Oct-13 11:10:56

Even the fresh sliced bread? I've obly ever tried the long life stuff [which was either like sawdust or had a 'slimy' texture to it].

kittylester Wed 02-Oct-13 11:16:01

Yep! But I have got two new recipes to try. smile Thank you cari sunshine

glammanana Wed 02-Oct-13 11:50:28

Riverwalk OH would look clueless if you asled him but DS1 can tell you the price of most basic's since he became responsible for his own shopping basket grin he even has his own drawer in his kitchen with his discount coupons ready for when he does a shop,funny how things change when you have to buy them for yourself.hmm

Deedaa Wed 02-Oct-13 21:32:04

The front page I saw said that David Cameron didn't know you could buy a loaf of bread for 47p which made him out of touch, and uses a bread maker which makes him posh. Well I had no idea you could get bread for 47p, wherever I buy it it seems to be a bit over £1 and I bought my first breadmaker in Asda and didn't think it was posh at all confused My idea of posh is spending several pounds on an artisan loaf in some fancy little grocer's.

MrsSB Thu 03-Oct-13 13:55:56

I'm guessing that there would be a lot of us who would be deemed to be out of touch as there will be many, particularly men, who don't know the price of bread or milk. I'm sure my husband wouldn't have a clue because he doesn't do the food shopping. As I'm retired, and he's still working full time, he has no need to. Presumably the same can be said of Mr Cameron and other political figures, in that they don't do food shopping so don't keep up with prices of specific items.

annodomini Thu 03-Oct-13 14:56:04

As I don't take milk in my tea and rarely use it except when I have visitors. I have no idea of the price of milk. I always buy bread at reduced prices and put it in the freezer. So am not sure of the average price of a loaf - don't think there are many available at 47p that I'd be happy to eat!

nightowl Thu 03-Oct-13 15:37:55

I don't know the price of milk blush My milkman delivers it and the money is taken from my bank account by direct debit every month. I know I pay more that way but I like so much about the arrangement; organic milk, glass bottles, convenience etc. etc.

kittylester Thu 03-Oct-13 15:47:11

I don't know the price of milk and bread. Although, I did check in Sainsbury's today and found that the milk was 89p for 2 pints and the bread DH likes was £1.20.

Although not in the same league as the Camerons, we are fortunate enough not to have to check each time we buy basics so, when I do my big shop, I buy a couple of loaves and enough milk to last until I shop again.