Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

The Aftermath

(70 Posts)
Parcs Wed 08-Apr-15 17:43:14

Some of you may know that I have recently had issues with my daughter, just to surmise, she was living with me and things became un- bearable and she moved out.

I would just like to say, and this may help others, that I wish I had of just kept shtum because the consequences of our dis agreements have effected the whole family and I have to say I regret that very much.

It is not at all easy not to react, however if I had not reacted, it would have been so much better.

My lesson learnt is look at the bigger picture, stay at peace with yourself and if the wish to argue, let them argue with themselves.

KatyK Sat 25-Apr-15 12:15:52

My last post above was unfair. She is not selfish in the least. A bit thoughtless sometimes maybe. She is a good person. I feel bad for my post. Perhaps I could have it removed.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Apr-15 12:30:08

You could get it deleted Kate, but we all understand where you are coming from. I might say that about mine when feeling cross, and know that it's not really true. smile

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Apr-15 12:35:40

I like soons post of 11.22.39 yesterday. I think that happens a lot.

KatyK Sat 25-Apr-15 12:41:51

Thanks jingl. That made me feel better. I don't want to appear like a bitter old woman, which I am afraid I am becoming. Note to self - use brain before fingers.

Parcs Sat 25-Apr-15 14:30:19

But are we wimps for staying quite and are we paying a heavy price, or is it ALWAYS the right thing to do to stay quite for the sake of the grandchildren and let them treat you as they wish.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Apr-15 14:35:14

No, it's not the best thing. How can things be put right if it is not out in the open?

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 25-Apr-15 14:37:34

Considering how many people choose a song with the words, "I'll state my case, of which I'm certain", to be sung at their funeral, it's amazing how many people on here don't seem to do it.

Elegran Sat 25-Apr-15 14:40:52

No, it is not always the right thing to do to keep quiet under what you feel is bad treatment. The difficult bit is getting the level of protest right - if you don't get the wording and tone right it can come out as whinging or as starting a fight. What you want is to point out your side of it in a reasonable and pleasant way, assertive without being aggressive, that is neither confrontational nor needy, without falling out or going into reciting every sin they have committed in the past thirty years.

Skills in tightrope walking and hostage negotiation would be useful. No wonder so many family disagreements descend into estrangements.

KatyK Sat 25-Apr-15 14:50:43

I keep everything bottled up and never say what I think to my DD. It doesn't feel right. However, once, when I had been through a traumatic time, I 'lost it' with her and she was shocked as I am a mouse usually. She said she hadn't done anything wrong and in her eyes she hasn't, she's just getting on with her life. I agree with Elegran, the wording and the tone should be right. I exploded because I was under pressure. I needed some support from her which I didn't feel was forthcoming. Should we expect support from our children when we are going through difficulties? Maybe not, I really don't know. It made matters worse. I should have had a quiet word with her to tell her how I felt. Nothing has changed but at least we are still speaking.

Tresco Sat 25-Apr-15 14:57:16

I have been involved with Alanon, the self-help group that supports the families of alcoholics, for many years. Whilst I appreciate that alcohol may not be the problem for posters here, the principles that Alanon and AA use to help are applicable to all, I think. Key to them is accepting our own powerlessness over other people's behaviour, a willingness to change our own where necessary and a willingness to promptly admit our own mistakes and failings. One reminder that is often used is that "expectations are resentments delayed". It's important to try to let go of our expectations about what other people should do and concentrate on what parts of our own behaviour need to change. Not easy, as I know all too well, but in the long run it works.

Elegran Sat 25-Apr-15 14:59:41

Bottling it all up is the opposite extreme to throwing a wobbly at every imagined slight. We get fixated on NOT being too needy and don't let them know when we are genuinely hurt - then it builds up until the volcano erupts.

The ideal is to distinguish what is hurtful from what is just them living their own lives, and not to mind the lesser things ("don't sweat the small stuff") but to be aware of when they are being unreasonable and speak up mildly before it becomes "taking advantage"

Easy to say, not so easy to remember in the midst of it.

KatyK Sat 25-Apr-15 15:00:48

Yes that makes sense. I have long realised that you can't make people think like you think.

KatyK Sat 25-Apr-15 15:01:10

Sorry that was to Tresco

KatyK Sat 25-Apr-15 15:02:37

Good advice Elegran. I must try to follow it! My DH says the only one being made miserable by all these perceived slights is me (and him of course because he has to live with me).

Mishap Sat 25-Apr-15 15:02:55

Wimps or pragmatists?

It is really a question of looking at the desired long term outcome and deciding which is the best way to achieve that. If someone wants to maintain good relationships with children and GC it may be that biting the tongue is the way forward. If you think that speaking out will achieve the desired aim, then fine, do so - but you have to be pretty sure of your ground before doing that because speaking out can backfire, whereas keeping quiet is less likely to.

Our children are adults now and they can lead their lives as they choose, whatever we might think or do. We have no right to demand anything of them; and making demands might send them over the horizon at speed.

Often they do not do what we want, or be as we might wish - but that is just how life is. And bargaining with monetary gifts or withdrawing support with childcare or whatever truly is a recipe for disaster.

soontobe Sat 25-Apr-15 17:01:24

I am not a grannie yet, but I do have a daughter and sil.

I do sometimes wonder, if a quiet word is necessary, whether the quiet words can be spread out amongst other family members, not just one? Does that work at all? I am just talking in general terms.

Jomarie Sat 25-Apr-15 20:39:24

Tresco's post is very interesting and makes such sense. I'm currently keeping my counsel with my DS and Dil - and the friction between them and my DD and Dsil - we are literally "caught in the middle"- and whilst there is so much I could/and want to say, I'm not saying a word, just getting on with my life and being involved in theirs as much (or as little) as they dictate - it seems to be working. DS came round this morning ostensibly to check we are OK but really to tell us of his recent resounding success at work - he came, knowing that, despite any other problems going on in the family/siblings etc. we, his Mum and Dad, would be so pleased and very proud of him and happy to tell him so. OK maybe he thought we would also pass his good news on to his sister and brother? Who knows? .......
Not sure how this relates to the thread excepting that grown up children are more testing in many ways than when they were all little and I could at least threaten them with early bed, no TV, no treats etc. Happy days in retrospect......... Hard work at the time....... wine wine

Judthepud2 Sun 26-Apr-15 09:30:11

Such good advice all round in this thread. Accepting our own powerlessness in the face of other people's behaviour is such useful advice Tresco. My difficulty is when I am drawn into DD's distress by her. And then in her eyes getting it wrong.

Parcs Sun 26-Apr-15 15:27:43

I feel that I have been through the ringer these last few weeks. I have come through the other end now and what I have learnt is, what ever you feel you would like to say, keep your voice low and keep in kind, that has worked for me, the calm voice keeps everyone calm and the kind manner in my voice keeps everybody feeling that they are being treated well and with kindness.

Families!!! who'd have em!! smile