Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Pangs of sadness through getting old

(109 Posts)
Parcs Wed 15-Apr-15 19:38:04

I don't know what's the matter with me lately, I am becoming very aware of my age

Being a Grandma is lovely of course but it does make you feel old being one of the oldest in the family.

I still can't believe it sometimes, and when I am called Nan I do look behind me thinking, Nan, is that me!!

But then I remind myself of George Clooney and Helen Mirren and my own Father and realise that getting older does not have to mean Being Old!! or looking Old.

I do believe that it is very important to mix with and have contact with people of your own age.

jenn Sun 19-Apr-15 19:50:38

Sad at growing old! Not me.The alternative is sad.

Today at 64 I had my first go at gokarting.Yes, the 7 year old grandson did overtake me but as he is a mini Lewis Hamilton it wasn't surprising.I loved it and when I come back to Poland in a couple of months I am determined to be a lot braver with the accelerator !
My son just accepts he has a mum who will have a go at most things and just books them, it will be sad when he doesn't.This summer it is off roading, kayaking and now karting.
The time will come when I can't do things and it won't be sad just the next stage.

Mishap Sun 19-Apr-15 20:06:58

And lots of us would be doing all of that jenn were it not for pain and disability. Just thank your lucky stars - you do not know what is round the corner!

I have been playing with 3 of my GC today and it was a painful pleasure.

Ana Sun 19-Apr-15 20:14:54

I think it's also worth pointing out that I'm pretty sure that those of us who have expressed a degree of sadness about various aspects of ageing aren't sitting around wallowing in self-pity, having given up on life!

Having regrets and/or wishing things in our lives were different is just human nature, and I've found this thread very interesting and in a way, comforting.

petra Sun 19-Apr-15 21:03:58

Felt a bit old this afternoon. The GC didn't know how to do a cartwheel or stand on their head. Have to admit, I had to use the wall for the headstand.

whitewave Sun 19-Apr-15 21:43:08

Today has be a positive day for me - funny how it changes from day to day?

Not sure where all the energy has come from but hope it stays grin

jenn Sun 19-Apr-15 21:57:03

Mishap I count my blessings everyday. I know how lucky I am to have my health and realise that my nagging back and p.c.t.( a liver condition ) are nothing compared to what others have, annoying but not limiting. Good health seems to be a bit of a lottery.A very close friend of the same age had a liver transplant last year after several years of very poor health.She has had a wonderful year and looks fabulous but at our last meet up she told me she has cancer on the transplanted liver!!!!No chemo because of the transplant drugs.Her operation is next week and we can only hope.That's sad.

Gracesgran Sun 19-Apr-15 21:58:37

Ana is right. No use sitting around in self pity but that underlying feeling some have is still there. I doubt that you would know if you met us.

Grandchildren are indeed a joy and Skype, etc., makes those of us who do not see them for years even closer. I have to admit that even if they were here I couldn't do a cartwheel or and handstand Petra so I take my hat off to you smile.

Mishap Sun 19-Apr-15 22:19:55

I don't see much in the way of self-pity on this site. Posters go through difficult patches and seek the support of others - which is always forthcoming. But that is not the same as self-pity.

I find lots of very brave people on here and take my hat off to them.

It is not self-pity to have pangs of regret for things done/not done and for the loss of health and strength. It is simply being a normal human being.

The pangs come - they go - and we pick ourselves up and get on with life.