Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

is my DGD a minx or just a normal 2 year old

(38 Posts)
etheltbags1 Mon 04-May-15 23:50:50

Hopefully on a lighter note than some of my posts, I would like to ask grans about the behaviour of the average 2 year old.

My little DGD, almost two and a half is being really difficult, she threw a turnip at a customer in the supermarket, dives off the sofa headfirst (usually to a carefully placed cushion), chases my cats, removed her car seat straps, kicks the front passenger seat, screams and throws a tantrum if thwarted. She kicks, spits ,punches and throws her toys, deliberately destroys them. She offended great granma by throwing a way new book she had just bought. the list is endless I cant remember her mother being as bad. I think she is wonderful and love her unconditionally but is she just being a victim of the terrible twos or could she have a behavioural problem. I did laugh at the turnip throwing incident though

thatbags Tue 05-May-15 19:19:25

I remember the previous discussion about the word minx as well. As used in this thread title, the word is innocent. So why worry? Words can have several meanings. The context should make it clear which one is being used. The context of this thread does make it clear. So there isn't a problem.

I think some people just like worrying and being shocked and stuff. Shrug.

Faye Tue 05-May-15 19:20:16

I stopped taking eldest GD then two to kinder gym because she used to growl at the other children. GD had at least a thousand tantrums lasting up until around the age of four, her mother at two had just one. GD bit GS, her cousin really hard when she was around two and a half and he a year younger while I was babysitting them both. Some of her tantrums and bad behaviour I know were because she couldn't tolerate food with preservatives. Once DD and SIL stopped giving her food that made her react, her behaviour improved dramatically. Other melt downs were often because she was such a difficult eater, she would get too hungry. Still now if she is over hungry she will start to have a meltdown. As soon as she eats something it stops, my DS and DD2 were the same.

One thing I noticed about GD even though she was horrible to other children was she was very kind and had a lot of empathy for children with disabilities. The first time she met my cousin's severely disabled child was Christmas Day and she was sitting with cousin's child who was around fourteen at the time, gently ticking his feet and chatting to him, she wasn't quite two. She would also make a fuss of other children who had disabilities.

Now at ten she is an absolute delightful child, you would never have guessed what a terror she could be.

etheltbags1 Tue 05-May-15 22:25:41

oh dear I didn't think that my 'Minnie the minx' nickname was in any way sexual, wont use it again, but then when I was young enough to read the beano lots of words had different meanings, you could be 'gay' and just be happy, if you were 'sad' you were unhappy not a social misfit, I could go on forever.
Today I had a little angel to babysit no naughtiness apart from sofa diving onto the carefully placed (brand new)cushion, but very quiet and biddable, even ate her dinner with no refusals. Yes her parents are quite strict and have a naughty seat, Im more laid back as I was with DD so I suppose I let her get away with more, I just love her little cheeky smile and hate to see those tears when I tell her off.

Bogoff Tue 05-May-15 22:48:08

I don't want to hi-jack this thread so i have started a new one to discuss terms like Minx, that are no longer PC.

rubysong Tue 05-May-15 22:48:47

I once heard DH's aunt day to his mother (her SiL), "of course your (son) was a little swine when he was little." His mother agreed.
He grew up to be OK!

fluttERBY123 Tue 05-May-15 22:58:45

Didn't girls get called minx before Minnie? Minnie wasn't invented till about ...1947?

fluttERBY123 Tue 05-May-15 23:00:39

Just checked. 1953.

Bogoff Tue 05-May-15 23:04:02

That was about the year I started reading the Beano smile

etheltbags1 Thu 07-May-15 20:29:41

does anyone think that those comics could influence children and if so do the modern day tv programmes influence them. My DGD loves peppa pig, which seems harmless to me but she copies lots of peppas phrases and antics. I remember I used to pretend I was Minnie the minx or dennis the menace.

Purpledaffodil Thu 07-May-15 20:36:03

I hold Peppa Pig personally responsible for DGS being unable to pass a puddle without jumping in it. Luckily at the ripe old age of 5 he only does that with wellies on now grin

Iam64 Thu 07-May-15 21:04:58

No Purpledaffodi, my experience has been small children are simply unable to pass a puddle without jumping in it, whether they're wearing their wellies or not grin

Mishap Thu 07-May-15 21:43:26

I do agree that small children can be quite frightened by the strength of their own emotions and that they find it reassuring for an adult to step in and take control.