Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Should I????

(34 Posts)
Anne58 Thu 28-May-15 00:12:49

Mr P will be having his last day amongst the chums he has made while on a contract with Hampshire County Council tomorrow evening, as when he checks out of his B&B on Friday morning that will be it! (he starts at Bath & North East Somerset Council the following Monday.

Now, here's the question! During his 14 month spell down/up there, he has made some really good friends, one of whom (Keith, aged 78) has been especially nice, preparing the odd casserole, home made soup etc. Keith has occasionally phoned over the weekend that Mr P is home, to check if Mr P is actually coming that week, so that he can work out if he should cook the extra bit! Keith has also expressed a wish to meet me. Mr P also attended the funeral of one of the champs who was a regular fixture at table 4. Quite young, double leg amptutee because of diabetes

Now, sorry for the long delay, but do I drive down there tomorrow for what will be his last night with his chums? I know that that there has been a thread about a spouse not being invited to her DH's leaving do, but perhaps this is a bit different?

My usual 5.30pm conversation with Mr P makes me think that to drive down as a surprise, and just be in or walk into the pub where are will be a good thing. He phoned a while ago a bit "emotional" to say that he was so touched that 27 members of the Table 4 Club confused had all come out to see him, in case they couldn't make it tomorrow!

Referring back to paragraph. right now I think "yes", but is it a total waste
of fuel, or a loving gesture?

Anne58 Thu 28-May-15 12:27:06

Thank you all.

I have decided against it. Although I'm sure that himself would be very pleased, it is over 4 hours each way, and approximately 200 miles, which I think would take a fair amount of petrol, and as he's just had the accountants bill, plus HMRC need their pound of flesh.......................

merlotgran Thu 28-May-15 12:49:52

That's a wise decision, phoenix. I was going to post earlier (but had to do the dratted food shop) that I've been on the other side of the fence so to speak.

Back in the nineties, when we had a pub and restaurant, we had a large campsite and often allowed people working on six month contracts to move their caravans on for the duration. It was good business for us because they ate most of their meals in the pub and they soon made friends among the regulars and locals. When they left we would give them a bit of a send off to say thank you for their custom, not to mention their sometimes great company - one of them was an excellent blues guitarist!

Occasionally on or two of them would invite the 'missus' to their 'do'. It rarely worked. I would be the one making a big effort to make them feel welcome because their OH would be with his mates and loving all the fuss and attention - not to mention the free drinks!

Definitely not worth the hassle of driving all that way.

harrigran Thu 28-May-15 12:56:24

I think you are probably right phoenix. When DH worked away I never turned up unannounced he would not have been amused.

Anya Thu 28-May-15 12:59:49

Good decision Phoenix spend the time instead cooking his favourite meal, low lights, seductive music, slip into something more 'relaxing' or alternatively fish and chips, a bottle of ale and his favourite slippers, whatever floats his boat wink

Anne58 Thu 28-May-15 13:16:58

The daft thing is that when he was home last weekend, he suggested that I did go there today, but I don't think he had really thought about the logistics of it (apart from the cost) I'd have to get a neighbour to look after the chaps, turn the fish tanks lights off tonight, then on tomorrow etc.

Coolgran65 Thu 28-May-15 14:03:26

Just off the top of my head if you would like to make some sort of a gesture .... As you know where they will be meeting up.. could you phone and order a round of drinks for the company..... and perhaps a message...''Cheers folks... but I'm glad to get my DH back now" smile

(Depending of course on the size of the company, what feelings are regarding alcohol etc.)

Lona Thu 28-May-15 16:22:43

I think you've made the right decision phoenix, some men (not MrP) might think you were checking up on him. Some just feel a bit inhibited when a wife turns up.

annsixty Thu 28-May-15 18:36:00

Perhaps if we had known that it was his suggestion in the first case our answers would have been very different.