Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Upset with granddaughter

(80 Posts)
Sadiesnan Fri 26-Jun-15 13:20:14

Since my first grandchild was born DIL's mother has been fully on the case in every way. Her entire life revolves around her daughters and her grandchildren. I help out quite a lot with babysitting and giving them money to make ends meet. I also go round most weeks to play with my granddaughter whilst DIL gets on with some jobs and looks after the baby. Yet, despite everything it's obvious that DIL's mum is considered as best granny. Yesterday my granddaughter, who is four, told me that she loves her other granny more than me. I'm very upset. How can I work through this?

Stansgran Wed 22-Jul-15 12:11:37

One of my grandmothers had no washing machine. Everything was hand washed and to be honest the house was a bit whiffy. the other grandmother had a wart on her nose ,was twisted with arthritis and when she told me that my father had only married my mother because he needed a housekeeper she never saw me again. I never told why I didn't go back to visit her. They were both lessons in how to behave.

Luckylegs9 Wed 22-Jul-15 16:10:50

I feel so sorry for the grandmas of Stansgran. One without washing machine and the house a bit whiffy! Couldn't someone have helped her out?. The other with a wart on her her nose and twisted with arthritus, as if she could help either of those things, is that all a person is, the sum of their physical perfection.. She made a thoughtless comment and never saw her granddaughter again. They just didn't measure up.

annodomini Wed 22-Jul-15 16:33:55

Did any of our grandmothers have washing machines? My parents got one in the 50s and they were certainly not widely owned then.

rosesarered Wed 22-Jul-15 18:56:02

Neither my mother or grandparents had a washing machine, and I had to wait a while when married to be able to buy one.
The granmother who made the cruel remark about the Mother sounds a real charmer.