Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Are you a list writer

(66 Posts)
Tessa101 Wed 20-Apr-16 18:25:56

Reading a thread about getting things done, it made me wonder how many of you wrote/ relied on lists. It's a joke in my family, me and my lists. I've always got a list on the go.As i cross things off more gets added on the bottom.I have a sense off achievement when I cross things off.

chloe1984 Wed 20-Apr-16 18:34:20

I love my lists I sometimes have different coloured paper depending on what the list is for.blush

Bellasnana Wed 20-Apr-16 18:40:51

If I didn't write a list of what I need to do each day, in a small notebook, I would forget half the things I should be doing. There is such a lot on my mind at present.

Gagagran Wed 20-Apr-16 18:41:35

I'm another lister! Love crossing off things and as Tessa says it gives a real sense of achievement when you do.

My Mum used to do food shopping for the family with five of us children and never made a list but carried it all in her head. She never ran out of anything either, being a bit of a hoarder! I can't do that even now it's just the two of us. I keep my list running through the week ready for the supermarket run. Works for me. wink

Juggernaut Wed 20-Apr-16 18:48:46

I was a classic 'write a shopping list and forget to take it to the shops' person. Then my DS encouaged me to put the list on my phone, it takes a bit longer than writing it, but means I always have the list in my bag/pocket!

Marmark1 Wed 20-Apr-16 18:49:24

Yes,make a list,then leave it on the bleddy worktop.

cornergran Wed 20-Apr-16 18:49:40

Definitely a list person, always have been so not about ageing!

BBbevan Wed 20-Apr-16 18:50:53

I have three lists on the go at the moment. All on the dining room table
1) Main meals next week ( we are doing LCHF )
2) Sainsburys list.
3) list of thing to buy in town.

Sorry list 4
Tesco's online list for when we go on holiday in a few weeks time.

Shall I do a list of all my lists?. Oh, I just have. grin

pompa Wed 20-Apr-16 18:52:08

When I get depressed, I find lists help me get things in perspective. So many of the things that get on top of me can actually be done and crossed off very quickly. The very action of crossing things off helps lift the spirits.

annsixty Wed 20-Apr-16 19:02:27

We had a friend ( well still have her) who rather dominated her H, sadly we don't still have him , and she left lists for him which would be open for anyone visiting to see. Once when we went for dinner and perhaps had imbibed rather well, another friend and I wrote on the bottom of the quite lengthy list " decorate K and N' s (their two sons) bedrooms. She did see the funny side fortunately.

morethan2 Wed 20-Apr-16 19:03:33

pompa ditto that's what I do. People who know me really well can tell if I'm a bit down or feeling overwhelmed. I write a list. Just a short one. Like you I feel a sense of achievement when I cross things off.

kittylester Wed 20-Apr-16 19:08:47

Oh yes blush

There's a Sainsbury's list
A garden centre list
A library to do list
A town list
A list of things gners have come up with for our new dementia venture
An admin list

Oh dear!

granjura Wed 20-Apr-16 19:11:05

I do lists too- never use them- but having done the list works.

Thingmajig Wed 20-Apr-16 19:25:03

We make a shopping list and even remember to take it to the supermarket about half the time!
DH makes packing lists even for an overnight stay ... for an actual holiday he starts weeks ahead and it all involves much pondering and adjusting ... drives me mad sometimes.

The one time (he says) he didn't make a list involved me having to get out of bed (I worked night shift at the time) run down to the train station, get a train into Glasgow to handover his passport! He was going home to Copenhagen so absolutely needed it. grin

Stansgran Wed 20-Apr-16 19:32:06

Does anyone add something that they've done to their list but not listed so they can then cross it off?
I also make lists of things I've done in the day so I feel I've not wasted that day

grannyactivist Wed 20-Apr-16 19:32:37

No, I'm not usually a list person except at Christmas when I write a list of Christmas gifts bought/still to buy. I write appointments in my diary and everything else is in my head.

The Wonderful Man, on the other hand, is a great list writer and has a collection of 'list' notepads. He sometimes writes things he's already done on a list just so he can cross it off. He has shopping lists for groceries, DIY stuff, household tasks, work tasks, allotment tasks - and just seeing his lists can leave me feeling overwhelmed at the amount of things he has to do. He gets far more done than I do, but that's because his stuff is all 'things' to do whereas mine are more 'people to see'.

pompa Wed 20-Apr-16 19:48:20

Stansgran, yes I have to admit to that.

Jane10 Wed 20-Apr-16 19:56:43

I really like a list! In fact I prefer a GANTT chart if possible. It just helps to make jobs clearly visible and easy to tick off. It saves the worry of constantly having to remember all the things I've got to do. Love it!

Tessa101 Wed 20-Apr-16 20:18:18

Stansgran I admit to that too.I keep my note pad in kitchen and as things pop up in my head I just jot them down.
Call eon
Send flowers
Weed garden
Wash car
The list is endless, I've done it all my life but now I need to do it because I would forget, also I feel better seeing it written down instead of rattling around my head because seeing it helps me decide what days I'm going to do each chore.

Judthepud2 Wed 20-Apr-16 20:29:44

Yes me too. I come from a long line of list makers so am genetically programmed to make lists. My brother, after a double bereavement and struggling with a very demanding job, realised that he was making lists about lists. ? At that point he decided he needed to retire and sort himself out!

I do sometimes get up in the middle of the night when I can't sleep and make a list of things that need to be done. I find this very therapeutic. Something to do with taking control when I feel overwhelmed by stuff. Like Pompa I find that ticking items off as they get done gives me a sense of achievement. And I too have been known to add something to a list that I have done just to boost my self esteem. ?

Judthepud2 Wed 20-Apr-16 20:30:56

What is a GANNT chart Jane?

wot Wed 20-Apr-16 20:40:35

Yes, stansgran, I add to my list things I've done! I'm pleased to find out others do that too?

pompa Wed 20-Apr-16 21:10:50

A GANNT chart is a list of tasks, but they are given scale by plotting them along a time axis with a start/end date. It enables you to see the critical path for a project that contains many tasks, hence critical path analysis (CPA)

Synonymous Wed 20-Apr-16 21:18:13

Always have lists and couldn't manage without them! Have a small whiteboard in the kitchen too. Always have a list going on Tesco and anywhere else I shop online.

ginny Wed 20-Apr-16 22:26:42

Yes, I am a list writer. Food, meals for the week, jobs for today, other jobs to be done some time soon. I can't imagine how I would manage without my lists and two of my DDs are the same. The other has a DH who does the lists in their house. Oh and some times I have lists of the lists I need to make. ?