Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Are you a list writer

(67 Posts)
Tessa101 Wed 20-Apr-16 18:25:56

Reading a thread about getting things done, it made me wonder how many of you wrote/ relied on lists. It's a joke in my family, me and my lists. I've always got a list on the go.As i cross things off more gets added on the bottom.I have a sense off achievement when I cross things off.

Cherrytree59 Thu 21-Apr-16 14:28:33

When my MIL was in her seventies (before dementia took hold) just after her DH had passed away, packed a hospital bag in case of any emergencies.
In the bag was a to do list for my DH and myself.
Also a list of who gets what (mostly ornaments) in case in her words she "popped her clogs"
The list is still in the bag.
There has been no hospital visits and she's 91 in June.

rosesarered Thu 21-Apr-16 14:29:00

I make shopping lists, christmas present lists and holiday packing lists, but that's all.

rosesarered Thu 21-Apr-16 14:31:09

Being retired, we don't need lists of anything.We do have a large diary to keep appointments etc in, and look at that every few days.

felice Thu 21-Apr-16 14:36:06

List of lists here, doing a soup lunch at the Church this Sunday, so have a list attached to each recipe of ingedients and quantities, a list of what I have at home, for each one.
List for the shopping on Saturday, list for SO for Aldi tomorrow, list of things to take from here on Saturday and then the final list of things to take on Sunday morning.
Oh and an all-encompassing list for everything.
It runs in my Fathers side of the family !!!!!

mollie Thu 21-Apr-16 14:47:24

I like lists and GANNT charts too but it's too easy to get carried away with maintaining the lists and charts rather than tackling the jobs! I used to spend far too much time adding to my lists, checking them over and worrying that some things were never being crossed off, they became a form of torture. So now I keep them very short and to the point if I really want to feel I've achieved something. If I want a warm, fuzzy, feel-good feeling I create longer lists that are just a reminder of things I enjoy or want to do (not quite a bucket list but similar) and read through them when I'm feeling in need of a bit of a lift...

gillybob Thu 21-Apr-16 15:00:14

An old (French) colleague of DH was always puzzled by a To Do list that the engineers stuck to the side of the machine they were working on. One day he produced a piece of paper and proudly announced that, he too had made a "TOE DOE" list. We now refer to all project plans as Toe Doe's smile

EmilyHarburn Thu 21-Apr-16 17:09:01

Judthepud2 Here are some references for GANNT CHART

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gantt_chart

www.gantt.com/

www.vertex42.com/ExcelTemplates/excel-gantt-chart.html

I have only used one once to create a Christmas card & gifts purchase and posting list when you have the last day to post for Australia, USA and other countries and you don't want to miss one. i was at work then and needed a project to demonstrate that I could use the computer programme. After that work could not afford all the licences so I never got a chance to do more stuff.

Now I keep lists in a note book and put tasks like buying a train ticket in advance in my diary.

grandMattie Thu 21-Apr-16 17:41:50

I do use lists - a shopping list where anything that has been taken out of 'larder' is put on the list for replacement. Naturally, I either forget the list or buy the same item 6 times - I once found myself with 27 packets of custard, because I was so worried about not having any! grin
The only other time I make lists is if I'm particularly busy at Christmas or other festival time and the whole family descends. They fall about laughing because I have a meal list on the fridge, so no-one says "What's for dinner Mum/grandma?"
Being rather depressive, making lists when I'm low is a very bad idea because it emphasizes my sense of being useless... sad

grandMattie Thu 21-Apr-16 17:43:25

Gillybob perhaps your DH's collegue should have caused envy by having an "a faire" [affaire] list? grin

1974cookie Thu 21-Apr-16 17:47:38

Oh gosh ,I do not know where I would be without my 'Lists of things to do' !!
I find them a real boost especially when I have lots of things to do around the home. The satisfaction that I get as I cross each item from the list on completion, gives me a real feel good factor. I feel as if I have achieved my goals.
As for shopping lists, I too am guilty of forgetting the blasted things ( along with the carrier bags ). hmm
Why hasn't someone come up with a 'phone app which features a shopping list of ie: Basic food items with tick boxes + extra room to add things not on the original list. These extras could then be added permanently to the original list, those not wanted could be deleted and as such make it personalised.
Another thing that would help in an App like this is if the shopping items were automatically listed under their appropriate department ie: DAIRY- for milk, cheese, butter and so on and so forth, so no more backtracking in Supermarkets as I have done many times.
Wish that I was a whizz kid on a computer so that I could design this App, but sadly, I do not have the skills, unlike most 5 year olds these days. smile

Daisyboots Thu 21-Apr-16 17:55:35

I have never been a shopping list maker because I either forgot to put things on the list or left the list at home. More recemtly I have made some to do lists because otherwise I will forget important things. I also do packing lists to ensure I dont forget essentials although the last 4 trips have been to England so I could buy anything I forgot. I have found this topic very interesting and am now going to do a to do list for the different Housesitters I use when I go on my trips. One would be to replace any item they use up ( they are supposed to use their own food etc). I just went to use some kitchen towel and there isn't any although I left a large roll when I went away two weeks ago. It would have been nice if they had replaced it especially as that roll would have lasted me a month or two so not small.
There are some very good ideas from you.

lizzypopbottle Thu 21-Apr-16 18:14:00

I'm a badly organised person! ? I rely on lists if I'm travelling away from home. I'd forget my head if I didn't have a list for me and another for my dog, Charlie. I don't make 'to do' lists though, and I rarely get anything done ?. I don't keep a diary so I miss appointments. I'm a bad person! ??

Stansgran Thu 21-Apr-16 18:23:20

At the beginning of each month I start a new list for the house . The sheet of A4 is divided into thirds an dated. Top third is short term jobs,middle third is can wait a while and bottom section is long term or rather too expensive for the time being. Sadly if we are very busy I find I can just scribble out the last date or even add jobs.
It's lovely looking back and seeing what's been achieved.

patriciaann71 Thu 21-Apr-16 18:27:36

I have never known anyone to make a list of what to do during the day!! Am I on the same planet? However I do make a shopping list and holiday list, even .a Christmas list

seemercloud Thu 21-Apr-16 18:58:58

It's been fun and informative reading this list of list maker's ideas !

banorapoint2486 Sat 23-Apr-16 01:59:11

I have lists all over the house for all sorts of things. I decided to make a list for A (handyman jobs) but he said he didn't like lists and, anyway, it took him weeks to even look at it. I decided that it was a waste of time.