Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Urgent advice needed - new sibling about to appear!!

(32 Posts)
townie Sun 15-May-16 06:11:37

Hello,
We've just been called over to our DS 's house to take charge of our lovely 2 year old GS while his mum goes to hospital to produce a new sister. G S still asleep.

I meant to read up on all this, but baby's arriving a little early.
Help, please, what did you tell your GC under similar circumstances about where their mum is and what she's doing ???
Any advice gratefully received.

Emptynester Mon 16-May-16 16:24:31

Our two year old GD went to the zoo with a friend (pre-arranged) and by the time she came home at 5, DD was back home, sitting having a cup of tea, and GD had had such a lovely day out, sat on DDs knee telling her everything she had seen, and it was some minutes before she noticed Nanny & Granpop were visiting, and what's more Nanny was holding a baby! Baby was born in hospital whilst we were on motorway, driving up from Devon to Leics, so we didn't have time to take over as was planned, but it really couldn't have been better. We felt afterwards that it was lovely that she got a big cuddle from DD before she was introduced to baby, oh and the baby had brought a present with her for GD (only small, but much wished for)

FarNorth Mon 16-May-16 18:38:14

harrigran it's a big mistake to think "2 year olds don't understand anyway".
It's clear townie's DGS did understand, at his own level.
My DGD is 2 & 1/2, and she is capable of understanding and asking all sorts of things. All children are different, of course, that's why it's wrong to make assumptions.

FarNorth Mon 16-May-16 18:39:09

flowers Congratulations, townie.

Grannyjacq1 Tue 17-May-16 11:54:49

Went to the cinema when I was a week overdue. Arrived back with a baby. Luckily MIL was babysitting and able to sleep over. My first child was only 20 months old and, every time we went out after that she asked if we were bringing back a new baby. (Husband insisted on seeing the end of the film, even though labour started half way through. He's a Yorkshire man, and wanted to get his money's worth.)

Jane10 Tue 17-May-16 16:06:50

Lovely news townie!

Newquay Tue 17-May-16 17:21:30

Congratulations Townie??