Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Shall we ? Your opinions please

(87 Posts)
BBbevan Wed 08-Jun-16 08:33:57

We have lived in our present house for 40 yrs.We have never particularly liked the area but circumstances, frail parents, children in good schools etc have kept us here.
There is now only my sister in this town and she is thinking of moving
We have just come back from a holiday in N Wales which was quiet and peaceful. Returning and driving down our road we were struck again by the congestion and cars everywhere. Local lanes which we could walk the children along a few years ago are now dangerous rat-runs and every small space is being built upon.
My daughter who lives in W Wales has suggested we move nearer to them. We are in our early 70s. I think we may like to move, but is it a good idea at our age? DH and I are still in reasonable health and quite active.
Your views would be much appreciated.

BBbevan Wed 08-Jun-16 12:50:08

Thank you all for your replies. My DD will not be moving any time soon. They have a big house which they are renovating and they just love where they live. We know the area quite well as we have been to stay quite a few times. DD has suggested we sell our house, put our stuff in storage and stay with them for a few months. So we are on the Spot if a good house comes up.
My only sadness is that my DS ,his wife and our 2GDs live about an hour from where we are now. Albeit round the M25, and we would not see them so often.But they have given our proposed move their blessing and will come to stay for long holidays.

harrigran Wed 08-Jun-16 12:50:09

If you have no family left in the area then there is nothing really to keep you there. I would do my homework and make sure there are medical facilities and shops reasonably close as we may become infirm in later years. When I was in hospital they asked how close I lived to the hospital, they discharged me because I was within 15 minutes of emergency treatment. The same happened when I went on chemo, I need to be within 15 minutes of the unit.

Granny2016 Wed 08-Jun-16 12:52:43

Phone the estate agent today,get a valuation and look on the internet at possible options in Wales.
If you start to feel excited,it is time to go.
Good to be selling when the gardens are in bloom.

BBbevan Wed 08-Jun-16 12:52:45

Thank youharrigran that is a really sensible bit of advice

Funnygran Wed 08-Jun-16 12:58:41

There are so many pros and cons in this situation. We have lived on the outskirts of a big city for 30 years and hospitals, doctor and dentist are a bus ride away should we ever have to stop driving. My sister retired to a very quiet country village and is always horrified by the busy roads when they visit us. But she is now undergoing chemotherapy and every hospital visit for treatment, tests etc is a 30 mile drive away and I doubt if they could now afford to move back to somewhere less isolated.

grandMattie Wed 08-Jun-16 12:59:04

We moved house to be nearer facilities. The area we were in had one bus a week, and the garden was 2 acres. Not good when you are aging.
I told my DH that i would leave him if we hadn't re-located by the time he was 70. Since DS1 is the original rolling stone, having lived variously in Cambodia, Argentina, Australia and Costa Rica and is now moving to India, via Viet Nam - the chances of him being near are remote. DS2 lives within an hour, DD lives all over the UK, moving with her job, so can't rely on being near her..
We moved to a little town not far from our old home, with doctor, dentist, small supermarket and local shops, bus and train all within 5 minutes walk.
DH mourned his garden for several years, but since he got an allotment is very happy and we have settled in well.
On piece of advice. If you are going to move, don't leave it too late - to be pushed is not a good thing... Both my DPs and ILs were resentful of having to move when they were no longer able to look after themselves alone.

missdeke Wed 08-Jun-16 13:03:40

At the age of 80 my nan gave up smoking and went off to Milton Keynes to start a new life. After giving it a try she decided she missed East London and returned, you are never to old to try something new. Just go for it.

Spindrift Wed 08-Jun-16 13:09:36

What a good idea Emelle, if my parents had done that it would have saved a lot of heartache for them, they had only been in their new place less than 2 weeks when mum had the breakdown, so no way would they have moved there if they had done wgat you did first, she hated it from day 1

Angela1961 Wed 08-Jun-16 13:46:27

We moved to the Lakes after many happy holidays here for several years. We'd spent Christmases here so also knew it when the weather is not so great. Been here 7 years now and don't think I'd move back down south. I miss my daughter but when I visit I'm struck by the busyness,unfrienliness and busy busy roads. Winters are long and often hard but the wonderful views and peace and quiet makes you forget them.

annodomini Wed 08-Jun-16 14:49:19

For many reasons, it would be better for me to live closer to my sons' families, one in Berkshire, one in Oxfordshire. I am now 75 and for a few years haven't been in the best of health. However, I don't know if the value of my house here in Cheshire would buy me an equivalent property. I have friends here and excellent GPs. One family would like me to have a granny apartment with them if they can find a suitable property. So many questions!

For many reasons, it would be better for me to live closer to my sons' families, one in Berkshire, one in Oxfordshire. I am now 75 and for a few years haven't been in the best of health. However, I don't know if the value of my house here in Cheshire would buy me an equivalent property. I have friends here and excellent GPs. One family would like me to have a granny apartment with them if they can find a suitable property. So many questions!

sallyswin Wed 08-Jun-16 14:58:46

Best thing we ever did! Moved from a commuter village on the edge of a city which was deserted after 8.30 to seaside Suffolk. Main criteria was that there had to be a real community with plenty of things to join in with. Now full diaries, new friends, new interests and a really supportive community. Most friendly place I've ever lived in.

marionk Wed 08-Jun-16 15:26:17

Could you try renting in the general area for a year maybe and letting out your current home? This would give you a real insight into what it is like to live there even in the dreadful weather and how you would fit into your family's life once you were closer.

devongranny Wed 08-Jun-16 15:34:42

Think carefully before you move, it is much harder to make new friends when you are older, no meeting people with similar interests at school gate! We live close to my daughter and although people come here regularly for meals it is not reciprocated. People of your own age are very tied up with their own grandchildren and busy lives and have already established their own friends and are not necessarily wanting to start new ones or have the energy! Think carefully!

numberplease Wed 08-Jun-16 17:03:54

I would give anything to be able to move to the Kintyre region of Scotland, my favourite place on this earth, but for health reasons we need to be near medical treatment, so will have to stay put.

Synonymous Wed 08-Jun-16 17:18:26

Always better to move TO somewhere rather than FROM and do it while you are fit enough to get out and about making friends and joining things.
It is a wise idea to take into consideration all things medical. DH wouldn't move nearer to DD as she is in a much busier area but if anything happened to him I know full well that is exactly what I will need to do. On my own I would never manage the house we have downsized to so Assisted Living it would be if I wear him out!

soop Wed 08-Jun-16 17:19:39

number I would love you for a neighbour. It's swings and roundabouts...we love the slow pace of life in Kintyre. The village has a good heart, as do the people living in it. We enjoy the marvellous scenery and wild life. It is, as you rightly say, not too much fun when one needs to travel to Glasgow for hospital appointments. Family live in mid and southern England. We all meet for weddings and such. For one weekend in the year, our entire clan gathers for a huge, happy-making catch-up.
We cannot imagine not living here.

harrigran Wed 08-Jun-16 17:41:05

I have a second home in the Lakes but would not stay there permanently as the nearest hospital is about thirty minutes away and does not have a good reputation. I keep thinking if we had a stroke or heart attack we would not make A and E in time for effective treatment.

Grannyben Wed 08-Jun-16 17:44:40

What a wonderful opportunity! You have said you don't particularly like the area you are living in and you found Wales, where your daughter lives, to be quite and peaceful. I would get that estate agents pole in the garden pronto.

JessM Wed 08-Jun-16 17:51:21

Wondering why on earth someone would want to move from Anglesey to Prestatyn. I agree it is very important to think about location of house. Think yourself forward in time and maybe you might not be able to continue driving - so it is a great advantage to be in a small town with all facilities to hand and not in some idyllic spot in the countryside (with a huge garden that could lose its charm...)

rubylady Wed 08-Jun-16 18:22:36

If you were on holiday somewhere else than your DD, and were making your way back home, which area/home would you like to be driving back to? There's your answer. Good luck. smile

BBbevan Wed 08-Jun-16 18:40:53

I just asked DH your suggestionruby We will ring estate agent tomorrow ( we had a valuation a few months ago) W Wales here we come

Soniah Wed 08-Jun-16 18:41:00

We moved to N Wales after thirty years in Northamptonshire, partly to move from a rambling old house which was too much to look after, nearly an acre of garden, high fuel bills etc, have lived here over a year now and love it. The house is about thirty years old, fully double glaze, still quite big but much, much less housework and the fuel bills are down to about one third of what they were. We have beaches fifteen minutes away, can walk on the Clwydian hills five minutes away, the health service is brilliant, we are in Caerwys, a small town with a shop, pharmacy, hairdresser, butcher, post office, two pubs, cafe, food at the golf club which is very down to earth and not at all stuffy and, best of all, only 25mins from out son and family in Chester. There is a regular bus service, lots of activities, no regrets at all.