Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Shall we ? Your opinions please

(87 Posts)
BBbevan Wed 08-Jun-16 08:33:57

We have lived in our present house for 40 yrs.We have never particularly liked the area but circumstances, frail parents, children in good schools etc have kept us here.
There is now only my sister in this town and she is thinking of moving
We have just come back from a holiday in N Wales which was quiet and peaceful. Returning and driving down our road we were struck again by the congestion and cars everywhere. Local lanes which we could walk the children along a few years ago are now dangerous rat-runs and every small space is being built upon.
My daughter who lives in W Wales has suggested we move nearer to them. We are in our early 70s. I think we may like to move, but is it a good idea at our age? DH and I are still in reasonable health and quite active.
Your views would be much appreciated.

FarNorth Fri 17-Jun-16 08:21:54

Are you having a look at houses online BBbevan? Just to give you ideas on what's available.

Best of luck with the viewings. ?

BBbevan Fri 17-Jun-16 08:37:17

Yes we are FarNorth and my daughter and her husband, who is a surveyor will do an initial recce if need be.
We registered with a property company, giving area and max. Price. We are now inundated with houses in the wrong areas and the wrong price.
House tidied and a vase of roses from the garden in the living room. 1and a half hours to wait. I think I'll do some knitting

vincent19 Sat 18-Jun-16 11:06:35

Yes I would move now while you are fit and in a postition to enjoy your new surroundings. West Wales is such a beautiful place to live so calm and a bonus to have your daughter near by sounds just perfect ....smile

Maisiejo Mon 20-Jun-16 15:09:50

We are in a similar situation. I think that you should go for it while you are still able to deal with the move and able to get yourselves settled and established . We have lived in our present home for over 40 years and felt that we would never move, however our DD and family live over an hours drive away in a lovely part of the country so what is not do move for!
We do not have a large budget but have discovered that we could get more for our money further north. We are , for the first times in our lives, considering a house move. I think that a change can be as good as a rest.

BBbevan Mon 20-Jun-16 16:03:12

All going well so farMaisiejo I think it is going to be expensive though, about £10,000 with estate agent fees, removals and solicitor etc.
Hope you decide to have an adventure sunshine. Good luck

Supernan Mon 20-Jun-16 16:05:00

If I was in your situation I would go without any hesitation.

Marmight Mon 20-Jun-16 16:45:01

Interesting reading. I have been in my house for over 35 years. I love it. It is in an idyllic village 100 metres from the Forth, overlooking Edinburgh. I stand in my shower and have the most amazing views. We have an ancient castle, an 11thC church, a brilliant school, over 40 different village clubs/societies, the best Festival in Scotland apart from the BIG one, my children were brought up here and my husband died here. There are many memories and so many reasons to stay but suddenly I feel as if I have outgrown the place. Friends have different lives now they are retired,; I feel I don't belong. I have no family within 400 miles. 4 years have passed since DH died and I have been swithering for a couple of years on whether to move or not. If so, where... 2 of my DDs want me to move south nearer them and one in Oz would like me to go there. YoungestDD plans to move back to Devon where she and SiL were at uni and where they have many friends. They want me to go with them. Friends from here are planning to move there too when they retire. Yesterday, I contacted my agent with a view to testing the market. I think, if I sell which is more than likely as both village and house are 'desirable' I will rent for a few months to get a feel for the new place wherever that may be. It's a huge step, one I can't take lightly, but I think I must do it now while I am fit and able and can find new friends and activities. I tremble at the thought. confused

Maisiejo Mon 20-Jun-16 20:33:58

Sounds like you are in a good position to make the move. You are healthy and fit and will be nice to have some good times in a new home. I wish you all the very best and good wishes whatever you decide to do. Houses are bricks and mortar but family are family.

BBbevan Mon 20-Jun-16 20:41:36

Our decision to 'up sticks' has taken us a good while. We have always wanted to return to Wales where I grew up. Where we live now was very pleasant with lovely country walks from the doorstep. We are within a half hour train journey to London,so the area is becoming more and more busy, built-up and congested.
We went to stay with DD last year and looked at several houses, but didn't feel ready. We do now and are quite excited.
Things will fall into place* Marmight* and you will make the right decision for yourself. Hope all goes well for you.

Emelle Wed 22-Jun-16 12:54:03

To all of you thinking of making the move, I would just like to say it is stressful and exhausting but also very exciting. We sold the house we had been in for nearly 40 years in March then have been house sitting since but we get the keys to our new house on Friday. The decision to sell was massive, and where to move to was a dilemma as I have written earlier but now we are really excited about the next stage in our life and we are so glad we took the plunge.

BBbevan Wed 22-Jun-16 14:21:08

Lovely news Emelle, I hope your new life is all you want it to be.
We are still having viewings, and getting rid of furniture, toys etc we no longer need,.