Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Would you mention it or not?

(97 Posts)
Zengran Tue 01-Nov-16 15:04:33

We live on an over 55s complex and have relatively new neighbours (3 months). The thing is, their bedroom is next to our lounge and I can hear everything when they are having sex. They go to bed much earlier than us. We live in a very small bungalow and there is no other room where I can't hear it.I find it embarrassing that I am privy to such personal sounds but don't know what to do about it. Turning the telly up doesn't really mask it!!

Lewlew Tue 01-Nov-16 17:37:09

We had this problem about 10 years ago with a recently divorced man as a tenant. I swear that man was paying his companion as NO one could possibly have that many orgasms. Every 45 mins!! He must have been taking little blue pills or..... we still laugh about it.

Nevermind. We sent him a note and added that the people in the next BUILDING could hear them. The poor man was so mortified. We do not have double-glazing as it's a period building and his bedroom window (as the rest of the building's) overlooked a courtyard which just amplified it all like natural theatre.

Every new tenant gets the 'noise travels' bit from us now!

They likely do no realise... so best to play it safe and mention it. People who move from more fortified residences into park homes, densely packed bungalows or flats often do not realise how sound carries.

harrigran Tue 01-Nov-16 17:44:55

I would just nip next door and ring their doorbell, it will put them off their stroke [ pun intended]

Greyduster Tue 01-Nov-16 19:11:12

I remember staying in a very smart hotel in Ireland when a couple in the room next door started having the most enormous row about her mother. Then they "made up" in the most noisy and energetic way! Everything went quiet, and then they started rowing again!! We thought it was hilarious. Next morning at breakfast we saw them at their table and had trouble stifling our giggles! Fortunately, it was the last day of their stay. The next incumbents were much quieter!

Anya Tue 01-Nov-16 19:16:07

I'd work through these very creative and imaginative suggestions one by one zen to see which works grin

BlueBelle Tue 01-Nov-16 20:02:48

Made me laugh especially the applause love that Good luck

wot Tue 01-Nov-16 21:41:11

Dirty devils.

wot Tue 01-Nov-16 21:43:17

When I was in a flat and got fed up with hearing "them upstairs" I dialled their phone number (first putting in 141 or whatever it is) at a crucial moment.

Greyduster Wed 02-Nov-16 08:04:31

Wait until they've finished and then stand outside their window with cards displaying marks out of ten!

Marieeliz Wed 02-Nov-16 09:18:35

Was seriously thinking about an over 55's bungalow. Maybe I will give it a miss now. I live in a very well built 60's terrace. Can hear some things when upstairs but nothing like this. Perhaps builders think over 55's are past it.

Mumsy Wed 02-Nov-16 09:21:58

a couple moved in in the flat above me, their bedroom was above mine. I just told them that I could hear everything that goes on in their flat! It soon went quiet.

Tell them that the walls are thin and you can hear them and its not nice for your young grandchildren to hear when they come to stay, if your too embarrassed to tell them write them a note.

Flowerofthewest Wed 02-Nov-16 09:25:35

We played Aeroplanes at War extremely loud. All complex neighbours rushed into garden scanning the skies. Including the noisy loving couple.

BBbevan Wed 02-Nov-16 09:31:22

Greyduster???

janieuk Wed 02-Nov-16 09:31:30

I lived in a semi detached new build house with sound insulation problems. Apart from the lodger next door having such noisy sex that it could even wake me up in the early hours, when sitting in my lounge I could hear whoever was using the toilet next door in the upstairs ensuite! Apart from anything else it makes you very self conscious about what you do in your own house as if you can hear them, they can hear you! Needless to say I didn't stay in that house very long! And the point is, modern buildings should be better than older ones for sound insulation, but it's so often not the case. But fair play to your neighbours for still enjoying themselves in later life!

Diddy1 Wed 02-Nov-16 09:36:39

I asked my neighbour if our TV disturbed them, as I thought my DHs hearing not being too good, and TV so loud, it may have disturbed them, so you could ask the same thing.

floorflock Wed 02-Nov-16 09:46:52

I'd recommend the applause, it sounds as if that might be what they need to quieten down.

Yorkshiregel Wed 02-Nov-16 09:53:19

Why not record their noise and send them a cd? They will soon get the message. Put some loud clapping and cheering or canned laughter off the tv at the end.

OR you could put on a cd and turn it up loud so they can hear it and know you can hear them.

Maybe they could move bedrooms? Perhaps they like having an audience? There is always the park!

If they don't get the message be brave, tell them straight that you can hear every sound, that should put them off a bit.

meandashy Wed 02-Nov-16 10:10:40

I would have to have a quiet word. If you can't bring yourself to do that maybe a wee anonymous note through their door?
I love the idea of applause though ??????

ellarussell Wed 02-Nov-16 10:16:24

My friend had a similar problem most nights after a couple moved in next door to her and her husband. One night after the usual noise came to an end my friend's husband shouted out 'Well - goodnight then!' and they never heard another sound from then on!

NannyMo76 Wed 02-Nov-16 10:17:07

I had a similar problem recently on holiday . Kept my room quiet and when they had finished I went close to their wall and coughed very loudly . Never heard them again.

SerendipitySmith Wed 02-Nov-16 10:30:59

Play Je t'aime through the wall at them every time so they can't miss it.

wilygran Wed 02-Nov-16 10:51:20

One apartment I had we did get the party wall sound proofed because it was really like you were sharing the bed! It was an expensive solution, but the neighbours were young & fit & enthusiastic :-)
Perhaps if you play radio or music when they're being quiet it might make your neighbours think.

radicalnan Wed 02-Nov-16 11:03:14

Nobody likes a show off !!

Lucky buggers

Nelliemoser Wed 02-Nov-16 11:45:23

Yes play some suitably loud music at them through the wall then a loud fanfare of some sort, followed by a screaming baby. They might then get the message. grin

Nelliemoser Wed 02-Nov-16 11:50:34

Oh Fortuna would work very well. grin

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXFSK0ogeg4

Eloethan Wed 02-Nov-16 11:57:11

radicalnan smile