Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Should I phone my grandchild on his mobile

(31 Posts)
jefm Sun 20-Nov-16 14:02:15

Its a long long story of 11 years of difficulties with DIL and my son. A long story of hanging on to a relationship with my grandchildren and staying in there. They live 250miles away. I write them letters, get granted an occasional visit and I phone about once a fortnight. I have been accused in the past of giving too much attention to them, I have had visits restricted. I believe that I am an intelligent, pragmatic yet loving grandmother, who of course I have to say because that's how it is, has never built a relationship with her DIL ( long story)So I try to show the kids I love them( and my son of course but he is loyal to his wife , quite rightly.) When my grandson used to talk to me for ages on the phone some years ago my DIL told me that he wasn't to wonder away out of the room they were in and certainly wasn't allowed up to his bedroom to talk to me ( it made me feel less like a loving grandma and more like some ogre! ) So years on he now has a mobile phone and he texts me and he phones ( he says he enjoys our chats, mainly about football but he has mentioned bullies recently) . I called him after school at 3.30pm when once he told me he was doing homework I said that we had better stop then. Today my son rang me and told me that I am not to phone him at 3.30 which is homework time apparently . Which sounds reasonable on the face of it but as he didn't come up with any suggestions is this actually another attempt to restrict the contact. My Partner and I think it is but perhaps we are so paranoid now that's how we would see it. So my question is, he is nearly 12 now. Is it actually time to give up and let them control me and him and not phone my GS at all? In which case there is likely to be little contact unless they phone ( they don't) from now on? Trivial it may seem but the bigger picture is hurtful

USAGARRY Mon 21-Nov-16 11:15:13

My goodness ... How I relate to your post. My GS is fourteen but is not allowed a mobile phone yet. Whenever I try to ring the landline my son and DIL don't answer ... They have caller display ... I know they are there (had a friend try the number once when they didn't pick up!). I am desperate to keep in touch with my GS but all I can do is write letters at this point. Waiting for the day he's old enough to make his own decisions. (He's a fabulous lad btw and we always have a great time on the rare occasions I get to see him - they are 190 miles away... ? )

Crazypussycat18 Mon 21-Nov-16 11:20:54

For 2 years my exDiL stopped me seeing my DGC. I kept in touch by sending funny cards, silly gifts, money etc. I didn't hear from them, but my DS kept in touch and let me know that he made sure they received them. Eventually my DS found the courage to leave his wife, met a lovely girl, and although they live miles away they bring the children to see me regularly. Keep in touch and your grandson will always remember how much you love him. He is growing up fast and it wont be long before he can contact you without his mothers permission.

Yorkshiregel Mon 21-Nov-16 13:47:12

I think you should stay in touch. Try short sharp texting at a time when he can call you back. Texting at homework time is a distraction so I am not surprised they asked you not to do it. You can always text him at lunch time, they should have no objection to that. He is getting older now so as other have said before he will be his own person soon. Just send cheery texts or letters (which could be withheld don't forget) and keep in touch. Tell him you love him loads and keep your fingers crossed that dil will come round to accepting you. Never criticize them, after all they are the parents. Never make crafty remarks about them. Never openly disagree with what they tell him to do. It will work out for you I am sure.

icanhandthemback Mon 21-Nov-16 21:20:17

Controlled children have a habit of rebelling as soon as they reach a certain age and they won't be told who they can love and talk to. Your time will come. Well done for keeping contact in the face of such adversity.

Crocus12 Tue 22-Nov-16 20:32:56

Well said Icanhandthemback , keep in touch with your grandson bless him x