Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Lone Holidays abroad

(83 Posts)
Caramac Fri 30-Dec-16 08:55:28

Hello All
My resolution for 2017 is to do more of what I want. I have never been abroad and although my husband travelled a lot before we met, he no longer seems interested and always has an excuse as to why we can't go.
I am thinking of an organised trip alone where there are some excursions as I want to do more than just read by a pool, happy to do that some of the time
I do have some specific dietary needs but not difficult to meet
Any suggestions as to travel companies and destinations.
Thanks all and Happy New Year smile

wot Sun 01-Jan-17 23:25:55

Although not having anyone to share the sights with is lonely, travelling alone gives you a wonderful sense of freedom. No worries about boring a partner with my love of museums and clothes shops!! People don't really notice you when you're on your own. I think I would be more embarrassed in a singles group as people would be trying to get you to join them at meals etc.I like to be invisible!!

Nvella Mon 02-Jan-17 10:19:39

I went to Italy with One Traveller this year. They were very well organised and everything was included. They also "shuffled" people around for dinner each night so that everyone had a chance to get to know others.

grannypiper Mon 02-Jan-17 19:01:34

Go for it caramac, one great place for your first foray alone would be the santo tomas hotel, santo tomas, menorca, peaceful, safe and very friendly, great place for a book by the pool holiday, no children and no loud music by the pool all day everyday un like some hotels.

trisher Tue 03-Jan-17 15:49:54

I so agree wot sometimes you just want to be alone and appreciate things. caramac if you do book a holiday and don't want to do a singles one you could look at hotels that offer supervised leisure activities. When I used to holiday with my mum who was in her eighties I used these a lot. I played boules, did archery, did a painting session and lots of other things while she just rested. I think joining these things on my own probably helped me take the next step to holidaying on my own.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Tue 03-Jan-17 16:05:07

Lots of useful info HERE too

storynanny Tue 03-Jan-17 16:24:37

Just coming back to say it was One Traveller my exh recommends

annifrance Thu 05-Jan-17 13:24:30

Poor shanma, it must be difficult to live with yourself being so mean spirited and judgemental. Or do we think she is a Paragon of Virtue and her views will be missed?

GN is great for info on lots of things, I have picked up some really useful tips and links. and nice to have a rant sometimes, especially now we can't get British television so I can't shout at Question Time, it's not the same shouting at the radio.

Happy and Kind New Year Everyone.