Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

An past hurt

(59 Posts)
Cathy1 Mon 06-Mar-17 00:41:19

2 years ago my elderly Mother was admitted to a hospice. A few days later my home was broken into and needless to say it was a stress I could have done without at any time but on top of my Mum's situation, it upset me greatly.
The next day my neighbour came to see me and I became so distressed that I had symptoms of either a stroke of a heart attack. I was taken to hospital.
My neighbour called my daughter to let her know that I was in the local A&E. my daughter sent her love to me and asked my neighbour to keep her updated on my situation which my neighbour did.
I was admitted on to a ward for a night and a day for observation etc. It turned out that my BP had shot through the roof and I had had a major panic attack due to all that was going on in my life.
My daughter didn't contact me via my mobile phone at all which I thought was a bit thoughtless but after I had seen the doctor I sent her a text. Nothing back. I made the assumption that her phone was out of battery etc. When I was told all had settled & I hadn't had a heart attack/stroke and that I could go home, I sent my daughter a text and asked would she be able to come and take me home. No only did I feel fragile from my panic attack but I was having to go back into the house that had only been burgled a few days previously.
My daughter said that she couldn't come because she was out with her children and husband. So I made my own way home.
I could never bring myself to ask her why she had been so cold & distant towards me that time.
Since then we have got on ok and I have enjoyed looking after my grandchildren and spending time with them.
But I have never really fathomed out her behaviour and now after these past two years I am feeling some sadness re-emerging and some resentment towards what I consider to be her selfish behaviour and I'm not sure how to deal with it.
Should I bring it up & out in the open or try to let it go, push it the back of my mind and move forward?
My daughter also doesn't make any attempt to see her elderly grandfather unless I prompt her. I feel very sad about it.
She is a very good Mother and her children are lovely well behaved children but I feel that she had totally thrown her life into her children and not left much room for anyone else.
I would appreciate opinions/advice/ and similar experiences.

Bez1989 Mon 06-Mar-17 23:51:14

Yes it seems that we all have a selfish DD or DSD in our lives...that's Step.

As the older wiser person I've now got to the place where I expect nothing and so can cope with the situation better.

Families aye ???

I'm glad now I never had any of my own.
sunshinesunshinesunshine

BlueBelle Tue 07-Mar-17 05:33:01

I totally agree to let it go but I also don't buy the ' she may have been busy had her own stress' etc ....If you hear your mum is ill and in hospital you rush to see they are alright however many kids you have or unless geography gets in the way then you phone or text until you know they are out of trouble it's lazy selfish and uncaring to just carry on and I do think many kids are
Just recently I was unwell and needed some hospital A and E treatment although I was quite able to get there by bus my daughter who lives near insisted on taking me early Sunday and again Monday morning she has a stressful life but wouldn't dream of letting me go alone ( likewise I wouldn't her) my two children who live away messaged everyday to get' bulletins' until I was ok
So even if the daughter couldn't get there I d have expected phone 'check ups' but as everyone has said too much water under the bridge now it would have been better to tell her how disappointed and uncared for you felt nearer the time

mumofmadboys Tue 07-Mar-17 07:13:56

That's great Bluebelle that your children were so attentive. But how does your post help OP I wonder?

ElroodFan Tue 07-Mar-17 15:03:26

Cathy1, could your daughter have been burying her head in the sand . Perhaps she thought if she ignored your illness you would be ok. The fact everything was well in your relationship afterwards could just mean she was frightened of losing you. Not everyone can cope with a crises.

Jane10 Wed 08-Mar-17 14:37:30

She could well have a significant worry of her own which she was loath to give her mum a hint of. I only later discovered that a family member had had a major stress hanging over them that they didn't tell us about as they know what a big worrier I am. It was kind of them and all was well in the end but I was spared months of worry.

Aslemma Wed 08-Mar-17 16:08:02

I have almost the opposite situation, although I have always tried to be independant. My daughter and one of my sons frequently take time off work to take me to hospital appointments, despite me saying I am happy to use hospital transport. They say they don't trust me to tell them the truth though I can't think why. smile The problem is that they feel rather resemtful of their other two brothers who agree with me that I can make other arrangements. They do all turn up when there is a major emergency and all, including some of the grandchildren, lined the corridor at the hospital when I was going to the operating theatre for a triple by-pass. My difficulty is in letting the first two know how much I appreciate them whilst at the same time I do not feel any less for the other two, who have also been loving and helpful on other occasions.

Starlady Sat 11-Mar-17 20:52:23

What an awful experience you had, Cathy! So sorry@

As for dd, I think you've gotten lots of good advice here. Just want to add that some people can't deal with illness or seeing loved ones age. Could that be true of dd? That might be another explanation for what happened.

But I agree with those who say no sense in drudging it up now, 2 years later.

Aslemma, I'm not sure if you're irritated with the dd and ds who insist on taking you to hospital appointments or (secretly?) delighted. But if you would really rather go on your own, I think there's a simple solution - just don't tell them when your appointments are and arrange to use hospital transport. Problem solved!

Cathy1 Tue 14-Mar-17 22:05:38

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and opinions!