Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Could/should I have said/done more?

(155 Posts)
Newquay Tue 28-Mar-17 20:41:06

While visiting our DD we took our 3 year old DGD to a local playbarn as the weather was cold. It was a school day so not overcrowded and all under fives. I keep DGD under my watchful eye at all times and venture in as much as I can so I can join in. On entering a sort of padded football pitch to have a kick around, suddenly there was crying nearby. I saw a child 2-3 curled up in a corner sobbing. I said come on let's find Mummy. Couldn't see anyone looking over. He continued to cry and, at one point, I thought he was going to make himself sick. Another Gran appeared and we both tried to console him while looking out for an adult. He then said Daddy so I said come on then let,s find Daddy. Then a woman appeared who said she was looking after him, I said he's been crying for about 10 minutes.she just walked him away. Later I saw her sitting on a sofa chatting to another woman with her back to a table with 4 children eating their lunches (sandwiches) on their own. I was appalled that she was probably being paid to look after these children and she certainly wasn't. My heart breaks thinking of this little chap enduring this "care" and, of course, he can't tell anyone how miserable he is or why. Should I have done more and, in any case, what?

rosesarered Tue 28-Mar-17 22:09:08

Newquay..... you did the right thing.Not knowing the full facts about his care ( or lack of it) I don't think there was anything else to be done, and he ended up sat with other children eating a sandwich.?

norose4 Tue 28-Mar-17 22:09:19

Perhaps we should all have something else we could be doing lol???

stillaliveandkicking Tue 28-Mar-17 22:09:20

Some people don't live others being so judgy and tend to want facts.

stillaliveandkicking Tue 28-Mar-17 22:09:28

rosesarered Tue 28-Mar-17 22:10:15

I would always rather be thought of as a nosy old bat than somebody who looks the other way.

thatbags Tue 28-Mar-17 22:11:12

saak is making a reasonable point. We know too little of the whys and wherefores of the child's crying, the relationship to him of the in whose charge he was, etc, etc.

Children do sometimes cry for not very much and sometimes being ignored for a few minutes is exactly what they need.

thatbags Tue 28-Mar-17 22:11:36

the person

norose4 Tue 28-Mar-17 22:12:21

Exactly Rosearerec, why didn't I think of putting it like that ! Lol ?

rosesarered Tue 28-Mar-17 22:13:04

I think the 'stranger danger' thing has made adults wary of approaching upset children, but if older women can't do this then nobody can.

stillaliveandkicking Tue 28-Mar-17 22:13:16

Looks the other way on what? Nothing was wrong here other than a child of possibly 3ish having a bit of a cry which is very normal. To castigate a childminder is whats wrong.

thatbags Tue 28-Mar-17 22:13:22

Which is not to say that the OP did anything wrong.

Maybe nobody did anything wrong.

norose4 Tue 28-Mar-17 22:14:18

So better to ere on the cautious side & be wrong ,than to ignore & be right

stillaliveandkicking Tue 28-Mar-17 22:14:34

Jumping to conclusions and stating that the child must be very unhappy in his care is wrong.

Chewbacca Tue 28-Mar-17 22:15:11

Not at all stillalive , not one bit. I've stated, quite clearly, why I thought the OP was right to check on why the child was so upset. For all we know, he may or may not have hurt himself in the play area. But as his guardian didn't appear to be anywhere nearby, or even when she was located, was apparently unconcerned, the OP was, in my opinion concerned for the child's welfare. Again, in my opinion, that was an understandable concern and very probably borne out of years of good parenting and concern for child welfare in general. And the general concensus, thus far, would seem to support that. Nothing "passive aggressive" about that.

stillaliveandkicking Tue 28-Mar-17 22:16:42

What did the OP do? She surmised and did nothing because the child was ok but still had to write some post and state that the carer was inadequate without any facts whatsoever.

I personally don't surmise nor do I judge about such things.

norose4 Tue 28-Mar-17 22:18:59

You are surmising & judging but in the opposite way.

Chewbacca Tue 28-Mar-17 22:19:11

Your judging here!

stillaliveandkicking Tue 28-Mar-17 22:21:20

Ridiculous. To say the child is miserable in someones care is very judgemental, how do you know OP.

norose4 Tue 28-Mar-17 22:22:19

You are surmising that all was ok (which it may well have been )without actually being there yourself , therefore being judgemental . the OP was just telling us about a situation .

Luckygirl Tue 28-Mar-17 22:22:43

This little chap was crying on his own for quite a long time. Well done OP for consoling him.

stillaliveandkicking Tue 28-Mar-17 22:28:30

That was reasonable but quite explainable. The judgy bit came in after when she stated that the child was sitting on a table eating with his peers. She then went on to say that he was "enduring this care" and can't say anything about it. Very very over the top and judgy.

judypark Tue 28-Mar-17 22:30:43

Sadly it transpired that several people, mainly women witnessed Jamie Bulger, distressed, crying, on the two mile walk to where he was murdered. One woman challenged the older boys and was told by John Venables that he was their little brother and they were taking him home. I wonder how they felt after learning of the tragic outcome.

merlotgran Tue 28-Mar-17 22:33:26

Consoling a crying and upset child is obviously the right thing to do but I don't think it's right to jump to conclusions.

The woman wasn't 'located'. According to the OP, she arrived where the child was and walked him away. There's an assumption she was a paid help. She could easily have been a friend or relative.

There were four children and two adult women so I doubt she was looking after all four of them

Four children eating sandwiches together were probably enjoying themselves without adult interference.

I can't see anything 'heartbreaking' Sorry.

Plenty of genuine heartbreaking stuff going on at the moment.

Chewbacca Tue 28-Mar-17 22:34:57

Exactly what I said judy, there have been so many incidents where people have not wanted to "interfere ", only to find later that a child really has suffered. I'd much rather be the nosy old bat who "judges" but is aware of what's going on and is observant, than someone who presumes that everything is fine and walks on.

merlotgran Tue 28-Mar-17 22:37:10

Nothing at all wrong with being observant so in answer to the OP's last sentence......'No!'