Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Vegans?

(244 Posts)
phoenix Thu 30-Mar-17 23:42:07

Hello all, first if this has already been covered, I apologise, and would appreciate a point in the direction of any relevant threads.

However, whilst I can have some understanding of those who choose to be vegetarian, I have a bit of struggle with people who adopt a vegan lifestyle (actually, not very keen on the word "lifestyle", always seems a bit Sunday supplement?) especially if they are doing it because of "love of animals".

I love animals, and want those that I eat to have had a good life and a humane death. (I used to keep a 50 head flock of sheep, and they and their lambs were treated very well)

If we all adopted a totally vegan approach to food, clothes, home fabrics etc, surely many of our domestic farm animals would become of no use, and possibly endangered species!

And as for vegans objecting to the content of animal product in the new notes becoming part of our currency, what should we do?

Palm oil has been suggested, but apparently that isn't an environmentally good option.

Shall we go back to trading in beans? But what if they have been grown in land fertilised by animal manure?

Where does it actually reach a sort of semi sensible conclusion?

annodomini Tue 11-Apr-17 13:31:43

I do that anyway, dj and still haven't succumbed to salmonella.

Chewbacca Tue 11-Apr-17 16:54:52

Me too annodomini, I thought everyone did, whether vegan or not!

thatbags Wed 12-Apr-17 07:42:22

I give the spoon to my grandkids. Their mum totally approves. It's an essential and joyous part of childhood is scraping out the cake bowl and eating raw cake dough.

I think the risk of salmonella is miniscule. Life is full of risks. We shouldn't get hyper about small ones.

durhamjen Wed 12-Apr-17 13:35:41

theconversation.com/doctor-who-takes-an-ethical-stance-towards-alien-life-so-why-isnt-he-vegan-75786

grannypiper Wed 12-Apr-17 15:37:45

chewbacca you can have my share, i think it is the yuckiest taste in the world.

angelab Wed 12-Apr-17 15:48:47

Apologies if this has already been posted, but 'On the seventh day' is a great place for vegan food in Manchester - yummy too!

Chewbacca Wed 12-Apr-17 15:54:19

Cheers Grannypiper ! I even love the Cookie Dough flavour of ice cream by Ben & Jerry's.

durhamjen Wed 12-Apr-17 17:07:13

I went there ages ago, angelab. Or was that the 8th Day?
They were going in the 70s.

Jalima1108 Wed 12-Apr-17 17:48:30

I do like simnel cake but no-one else does apart from DH who may eat one slice so I would eat it nearly all. Which has happened occasionally in years past.

grannypiper Wed 12-Apr-17 18:51:23

You can have that too chewbacca way too salty for me, but cake of any description (except almond and cherry) is mine grin

durhamjen Wed 12-Apr-17 21:10:50

Jalima, I get over that by getting the family to make it. My daughter in law loves making vegan cakes. Then I can have just as much as I want without wasting the rest.

Jalima1108 Wed 12-Apr-17 21:19:43

I could ask and hint but ....
still none of them would eat it but me (and DH)

durhamjen Wed 12-Apr-17 22:35:55

Is it the fruit they don't like, or the almonds?
It can be made without fruit, but not almonds.
If it's the almond paste you like, it's delicious made with apricots.
Come to think of it, I could just make that and eat it on it's own, pretend there's cake with it. Or put a slice in the middle of a hot cross bun.

Menopaws Thu 13-Apr-17 04:21:21

Well that was an interesting hour spent reading your various views as I was awake in the middle of the night, I'm sleepy now so am I allowed to count sheep??

grannypiper Thu 13-Apr-17 09:05:13

Menopaws sheep, cows, horses or even beans the choice was yours. Hope you finally got some sleep grin

Jalima1108 Thu 13-Apr-17 17:37:05

It's the almonds djen, none of them like the almond taste although they will eat the whole nuts!

Menopaws Thu 13-Apr-17 17:37:24

Grannypiper as there was a shortage of sheep in the fields I ended up counting the slightly soft and bendy carrots in the bottom of my fridge but yes sleep soon followed!

grannypiper Thu 13-Apr-17 20:42:33

MenopawsHope you have a better nights sleep tonight. grin