Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

@NHS Do you trust Theresa May?

(142 Posts)
Serkeen Wed 07-Jun-17 15:35:51

@NHS Quote on twitter

"A vote for this government is a vote against the NHS

Do you trust Theresa May? Or do you trust your doctors, nurses, teachers and police officers"?

What do you think, is this true?

whitewave Thu 08-Jun-17 17:12:19

dj I think that that is almost the least of it.

stillaliveandkicking Thu 08-Jun-17 17:20:42

I think it's a service we are very lucky to have. Unfortunately due to an increasing elderly population and mass immigration it's under great strain. Instead of attacking the actual workers on this thread I would like to say a huge thank you to all whom dedicate their working lives and beyond to us.

Jane10 Thu 08-Jun-17 18:36:03

Thank you Saak. It was an honour to do the work I did. We all did our very best for patients.

Crafting Thu 08-Jun-17 19:47:50

The strains on the NHS are in many ways due to the quantity of people trying to access the service. Those living longer, more needing care homes etc. I don't think (please don't shoot me down this is not a political point) that the trouble the NHS is in is anything to do with any political party it is just the sheer volume of people needing care. In our small part of the world, our local council is building 6000 new homes. Where are the schools, doctors and hospitals that are going to cater for these people? I feel very sorry for all who have to wait for painful and urgent medical care but there is a limit to how many people can be seen and treated.

durhamjen Thu 08-Jun-17 19:53:13

Sorry, but people can't pretend they did not know how many people there were going to be because of the baby boomers living longer.
The last census was in 2011, the one before that 2001.
Every ten years they know what the population is, and the age of the population.
The fact that it has been ignored is not our fault. It's the fault of governments that do not want to tax people, and pretend that tax cuts are a good thing.
It's the fault of a government that wants to privatise the NHS.

Jane10 Thu 08-Jun-17 20:29:32

Sigh. When exactly did they announce that they want to privatise the NHS?

durhamjen Thu 08-Jun-17 20:42:44

nhap.org/the-naylor-report-the-nhs-sell-off-is-being-speeded-up-our-children-are-being-robbed-of-their-inheritance/

mcem Thu 08-Jun-17 20:50:19

Well I've read your link to the Naylor report.
jane10 have you?

durhamjen Thu 08-Jun-17 20:56:27

www.opendemocracy.net/ournhs/jacky-davis/don%27t-believe-false-reassurance-about-nhs-privatisation

stillaliveandkicking Thu 08-Jun-17 21:46:24

I find links very boring, very boring indeed.

Jane10 Thu 08-Jun-17 21:59:48

It's about land and rental properties. Where does it say that patients will have to pay to be treated?

Serkeen Fri 09-Jun-17 09:17:50

*Rigby46 of course its ok to disagree but not ok to get personal and tell people to grow up because I am sure you would not be happy if someone told you to grow up just for making a comment.

It's not nice to be the reason that someone is upset and you clearly upset Jane10 I am sure you possibly were not aware of the impact telling someone to grow up would have.

I guess making this comment to you means that you are not going to be happy with me and I am sure you will have something not so friendly to say back so I will expect that but do not regret pointing this out smile

Jane10 Fri 09-Jun-17 09:20:58

Thank you serkeen but I don't think that particular person cares much what she says. Karma will take care of it.

vikaspaul Mon 19-Jun-17 07:42:29

Wait and watch !

She is still new to the office. After 2 years you will see she is going to bring Britain on the road to recovery. The economy I believe is going to get back on track. The jobs are coming.

We should give her time to deliver on promises. After allocated time, we should judge someone, not before that.

rosesarered Mon 19-Jun-17 12:40:55

I think somebody else other than May will be running things sooner rather than later after the balls-up that was the Conservative campaign.Whoever it is will have a devil of a job on their hands, impossible to please everybody.Had Corbyn managed to get in this time, he also would have found the job a poisoned chalice, and the NHS would rumble on the same under him as anybody else.
If there is another GE soon-ish am starting to hope he will get in, then he can manage the NHS, Brexit, and anything else that comes along.......good luck!Except we would all have to suffer the dire consequences of his buy one get one free economics.

durhamjen Thu 29-Jun-17 22:04:50

weownit.org.uk/act-now/dont-sell-nhs-professionals

Not just selling off land and property.

A petition to sign.

Lazigirl Fri 30-Jun-17 09:35:48

Thanks dj have circulated. My mother in hospital just now and I've hardly seen regular staff, just mainly agency nurses who are travelling on average 60 miles to get here. They tell me they can't survive on hospital contract pay, so can afford to work less hours for more money with agency. Just a crazy short sighted way to run NHS. Freeze staff pay and put money into pockets of private companies.

devongirl Fri 30-Jun-17 10:21:05

Agree lazi it is very short-sighted. A colleague whose sister is a doctor working in family planning says there are a lot of doctors approaching retirement but can't recruit from Europe as not possib;e at present to guarantee future employment - disaster waiting to happen thanks to Brexit.

rosesarered Fri 30-Jun-17 10:37:57

I read that the biggest recruiting agency for the NHS says that there is no shortage of nurses applying to come here still ( from the EU) but the English test brought in in 2016, has had a dramatic effect, as a lot are failing it.This is an important issue, as we need our nurses to have a really good grasp of our language, they cannot just 'wing it' as it could lead to all sorts of medical mistakes.

durhamjen Fri 30-Jun-17 11:44:56

Therefore there is a shortage of nurses IN the NHS, roses.
If they can't come in because they can't speak English properly, they can't work here.
What was your point?

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/13/nursing-uk-crisis-brexit-worse-nhs

durhamjen Fri 30-Jun-17 11:46:54

96% drop in applications does not fit in with your post, roses.

LuckyDucky Fri 30-Jun-17 12:27:49

I don't trust PM May. Why expect a wolf to look after the welfare of chickens? Nature will out.

I wish she were as pro-active as Pres. Trump who is looking after the citizens of the US He's already sorting their neglected infrastructure, while working the US doesn't pay over the odds for goods and agreements as the UK does. Eventually the UK will separate from Merkle's megalomania

rosesarered Fri 30-Jun-17 12:34:10

My point is that it isn't the fear of Brexit but nurses from the EU not being able to pass a language test that is causing less to come here.We need to recruit now from all countries that have English either as a second language or Australia, NZ or elsewhere.

rosesarered Fri 30-Jun-17 12:36:15

The drop in applications is due to the more stringent language tests!

devongirl Fri 30-Jun-17 12:49:51

rar my point was not that nurses/doctors from Europe aren't applying irrespective of their English ability but that the NHS is nbot in a position to provide them with contracts until the terms are sorted.