Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

@NHS Do you trust Theresa May?

(142 Posts)
Serkeen Wed 07-Jun-17 15:35:51

@NHS Quote on twitter

"A vote for this government is a vote against the NHS

Do you trust Theresa May? Or do you trust your doctors, nurses, teachers and police officers"?

What do you think, is this true?

durhamjen Sun 24-Sep-17 23:35:20

evolvepolitics.com/jeremy-hunt-to-replace-gps-with-far-less-qualified-cheaper-alternative-physician-associates/

I don't trust him, either, with the NHS. Unfortunately, May seems to.

durhamjen Sat 23-Sep-17 11:47:11

www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tory-mp-sparks-fury-after-11220533

Well done that MP, showing how much you care for the NHS and the staff that might look after you if you ever have to use it.

durhamjen Sat 23-Sep-17 11:39:11

www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/public-sector-pay-cap-nhs-staff-real-incomes-cut-government-wage-freeze-gmb-union-a7959806.html

durhamjen Mon 18-Sep-17 23:32:41

The latest.
We'll be told to ask our neighbours about our symptoms next.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2017/09/18/jeremy-hunt-pharmacists_n_18031156.html?utm_hp_ref=uk-politics&ir=UK+Politics

silverlining48 Sat 09-Sep-17 13:41:58

Do i trust theresa may with the nhs, no, of course i dont. Its being bled dry and sold off to private organisations who are in it to make a profit fir themselves, not to put anything back into the pot.

durhamjen Sat 09-Sep-17 12:53:15

Another privatisation that doesn't work.

www.opendemocracy.net/ournhs/steve-hynd/elderly-man-cried-in-her-waiting-room-because-he-just-wanted-to-get-back-to-his-be

durhamjen Mon 04-Sep-17 11:39:57

GPs have been leaving the NHS at a rate of 400 a month.
We'll need far more doctors than they are willing to pay for.

durhamjen Thu 31-Aug-17 14:47:04

There's a scrapthecap rally in Parliament Square next Wednesday if anyone is interested, in support of nurses.

www.rcn.org.uk/nursingcounts/scrap-the-cap/uk-scrap-the-cap-rally

paddyann Thu 31-Aug-17 12:19:26

anyone who trusts the tories with the NHS is a fool ,they'll sell it off to their pals ...already are and we'll end up with a substandard service and an "american" style insurance ...thats one that only works for folk who can afford it.WHY do people vote for these MP's who have only their own interests at heart and not the wider public

durhamjen Thu 31-Aug-17 12:11:10

This is not the best way for NHS money to be spent.

www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/commissioning/nhs-spends-21m-on-consultancy-advice-on-how-to-cut-costs/20035165.article

Most of it went to the big four accountancy firms, who obviously know a lot about health and social care.

durhamjen Thu 31-Aug-17 09:48:00

www.theguardian.com/society/2017/aug/31/nhs-trusts-england-overspend-3bn-higher-reported-study-claims

Which means the NHS is being given 3bn less than the government says it needs.

durhamjen Wed 30-Aug-17 14:07:19

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/30/pfi-britain-hospital-trust-debt-burden-tax

Do you still believe the Tories are not privatising the NHS?

durhamjen Wed 30-Aug-17 14:06:01

www.theguardian.com/society/2017/aug/30/nhs-cost-cutting-drive-to-reduce-hospital-referrals-revealed

durhamjen Wed 12-Jul-17 19:17:52

I saw that, Welshwife, and voted for that one.
It sounds like it will get crossparty support and get through anyway, which is excellent news.

Welshwife Wed 12-Jul-17 16:20:09

Chris Bryant, the MP for Rhondda, won the ballot to put forward his choice of Private Member bill - he set up an on-line survey to choose from six options.

The two which came top both in his constituency and generally were :-
to make it an offence to assault a member of the Emergency Services when carrying out their duties,
and one regarding the families of refugees being reunited.

He made the ballot a multiple choice so he did not get silly ideas.

durhamjen Wed 12-Jul-17 15:31:46

www.independent.co.uk/news/health/theresa-may-health-cuts-nhs-local-budgets-analysis-public-sexual-stis-syphilis-kings-fund-85-million-a7836086.html

durhamjen Thu 06-Jul-17 23:57:12

Lots more nurses saying why they are leaving nursing.

www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jul/05/why-i-am-leaving-nursing-morale-is-the-lowest-i-have-ever-seen-it

I wonder if Jeremy Hunt ever reads articles like these, or if his minders hide them from him.

Lazigirl Thu 06-Jul-17 09:54:08

Thank you for links, which I know some don't like or can't be bothered to read, but I find them informative and useful jen, and circulate them as widely as possible. The "public matters" website information was particularly concerning, and the fact that we are sleep walking towards wholesale privatisation of NHS is so depressing AND PEOPLE DONT REALISE IT. It's very often only when you or those close to you use the NHS that you can see first hand what is happening. I have seen some posts on here from those who can't see a problem, but all I can say is they're not looking hard enough.

durhamjen Wed 05-Jul-17 22:19:13

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/david-bailey/nhs-birthday_b_17389586.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

Please reverse cuts and give the staff the pay they deserve.

durhamjen Wed 05-Jul-17 15:35:32

By the way, stopping the STPs is as important as stopping the pay cap.
The pay cap only applies to nurses employed by the NHS.
Nurses employed by the private sector are becoming more numerous.
Stopping the STPs should bring nurses back into the NHS fold.

durhamjen Wed 05-Jul-17 15:26:11

A real nurse talking about her job, her pay and progression.

www.independent.co.uk/voices/letters/nursing-why-im-leaving-public-sector-pay-cap-brexit-hunting-a7822876.html

durhamjen Wed 05-Jul-17 12:38:42

publicmatters.org.uk/2017/06/24/the-americanisation-of-the-nhs-happening-right-here-right-now/

A new website set up to look at all public service changes and cuts, but starting with the NHS privatisation.

Jalima1108 Sun 02-Jul-17 17:39:41

I must say, though, that DD and I both have had operations performed at private hospitals under the NHS. That was many years ago, both went fine but they were not what you would call major operations although both required anaesthetic and DD had to stay in overnight.

Lazigirl Sun 02-Jul-17 13:17:46

Private hospitals are not subject to the same scrutiny as NHS and don't have to monitor outcomes in same way, and apparently medical insurance cover if things go wrong, can be problematic according to Mail article. Treating NHS patients is big business for private hospitals as apparently a third of NHS funded hip & knee replacements are now done in private hostpitals.

Chewbacca Sun 02-Jul-17 12:45:46

I needed a knee op 5 years ago and I was offered to be treated at a private hospital, but still on the NHS. I'd already had my other knee done at a local NHS hospital the previous year and so I knew what to expect. The operation done at the private hospital was a disaster. No pre op was done until I was actually outside the operating theatre. I was given such a massive dose of anaesthetic that it took me days to come round, unlike the year before,when I was awake when I got back to the ward. I was discharged with a canula still in the back of my hand. Several weeks later, they sent me a photograph of the joint prior to the operation and post op. It was only when my GP pointed out that it was a photograph of the opposite knee that we realised I'd been sent someone else's photos. No idea why it was necessary to send them anyway, the NHS never did.