Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

What would you have done?

(109 Posts)
gillybob Wed 19-Jul-17 18:45:01

Just sitting outside the school thinking about an incident I witnessed yesterday.

A little boy and his dad were standing in the playground. I was stood right beside them with DGS. The little boy was wearing a football cap. Along came another little boy who said (very politely) "excuse me, but I think that might be my cap" The dad said "no way, that's J's cap, now clear off" the second little boy (clearly upset) then said "could I just look in the label as my mum wrote my initials on it?" the dad (looking sheepish) said "no way, now b****r off" the second child now very upset said " but my nana brought it from Spain for me only last week and I am sure it must be mine, PLEASE (pleading) can I look at the label?" The dad at this point snatched the cap from his own sons head and stuffing it in his pocket muttered something on the lines of "well my sons nana brought it for him from Spain aswell, so what ya gonna do about it?" (a few choice words were added).

I couldn't help myself so just said "Could you not just show the lad the label and then it will prove its your sons cap"

Oh my goodness all hell broke loose..... and I was told to "mind my own business" in no uncertain terms ! At that point it was clear to me that the cap probably didn't belong to the lad wearing it and the dad probably knew it was stolen and could well have had the poor lads initials in it.

It really upset me. What (if anything) should I have done? I was going to call into the school office but figured I had better mind my own business. Now I feel bad about it.

gillybob Fri 21-Jul-17 16:42:52

Just a final little note to say I had a short meeting at the school this afternoon . The office were aware of the situation as the boys mother had been into school to ask about the cap . I explained what I had seen and heard and the secretary said she would inform the parents. We both agreed that there were little chance of getting it back but ( although professionally she made no direct comment) she said the school were aware of the sometimes questionable behaviour of the father concerned.

Chewbacca Fri 21-Jul-17 16:46:09

Well done Gillybob , you've done all that you possibly could in this situation. It doesn't look as though the boy will get his cap back but the school are aware of the situation and, you never know, it might just "turn up", stuffed down the back of a radiator at some point in the future.

Imperfect27 Fri 21-Jul-17 17:06:55

Yes, glad you were able to have a word Gillybob - you really did go the extra mile. Well done you!

AmMaz Fri 21-Jul-17 19:30:20

Report it. To the police. It's likely theft. Why would you not?

Jalima1108 Fri 21-Jul-17 20:44:32

Yes, I agree with Chewbacca that it may just 'appear' again, having been 'lost'.

gillybob Sat 22-Jul-17 00:05:38

Let's hope so chewy and Jallima .

Sorry AmMaz as far as I'm concerned it's finished with. If the parents/school decide to take it further it's up to them. I don't want to get any more involved.

rafichagran Sat 22-Jul-17 15:03:43

You have done the right thing Gilly, leave it now to the childs parents to deal with. Sorry but I think the Police have better things to do than have to come out and settle a dispute whose cap it is. Best left to the school and parents.

acanthus Sat 22-Jul-17 19:05:02

Well done gillybob for standing up to this ignorant bully. As others have indicated, I would definitely report the incident to the school. At the end of the day this idiot was verbally abusive to you, and even more seriously, to a child, and within the school grounds. No doubt the family is 'known' to the school authorities and this may well be another nail in the coffin to prompt them to take action. (Good luck to them though!) I wouldn't be surprised if the idiot's child has stolen other things in the past.