Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Putting headbands on young baby girls (and other stuff)

(149 Posts)
Fairydoll2030 Mon 07-Aug-17 14:02:01

I realise this is a bit of trivia but what do folks think about the fashion nowadays of putting headbands on young baby girls - especially those without much hair? I recently saw a picture on Instagram of an acquaintance of mine's 10 week old baby girl. Apparently her outfit which included a denim jacket plus frilly dress and shoes (by Dolce and Gabanna so the accompaniment to the picture stated) was topped off by a hideous looking headband. The baby barely has any hair and I couldn't help thinking how uncomfortable the poor little mite looked. We all want our babies to look cute but is this taking it to extremes? It's just my opinion and I won't lose any sleep over it - but what do other grans think?

Auntieflo Wed 09-Aug-17 09:15:24

Here you go Alima

Auntieflo Wed 09-Aug-17 09:15:54

No. He's not mine !!!

trisher Wed 09-Aug-17 09:55:02

For those who are keen try googling Babies with Headbands but don't blame me if you spend ages on it because there are so many and they are so cute. (Grumps and groaners stay off)

Lillie Wed 09-Aug-17 10:00:36

No. He's not mine !!!

Surely HE is a SHE, Auntieflo, being all dressed in pink!? grin Very cute!!

I can't believe some of the unkind comments on this thread. If parents are to be criticised for enjoying dressing up their children, or choosing a name they like, then it's a sorry world.

Indinana Wed 09-Aug-17 11:13:49

Couldn't agree with you more Lillie.

Jalima1108 Wed 09-Aug-17 12:43:43

Mine are into Jo-jo bows!!
I ended up with one in my hair (thank you DGD) but it wasn't very comfortable.

sluttygran Wed 09-Aug-17 12:47:41

It's up to parents to decide what they dress their children in, obviously, so long as the little one is safe and comfortable.
We all have different tastes, and although my children were always spotless, well-dressed and smart, I erred on the side of slightly plainer outfits. I don't think my babies were in the least bit worried by this, and I didn't seek to impress with lavishness of presentation. I'm not a joyless snob, but my children were beautiful just as they were, and didn't need hundredweights of frills and furbelows to prove it.
Some might think me dull, and they are perfectly entitled to that opinion - just as I am entitled to think that certain baby outfits are eye-scorchingly inappropriate, ostentatious and possibly uncomfortable.

gillybob Wed 09-Aug-17 12:57:18

My son said I ruined his life shock by putting him in a pair of pale blue kicker boots when he was about 5. I saved like mad for them and they were my pride and joy (clearly not his though) grin

Jalima1108 Wed 09-Aug-17 12:59:46

grin

Fairydoll2030 Wed 09-Aug-17 13:37:49

My original post. No-one appears to have commented on a ten week old wearing designer clothes (Dolce and Gabanna.) I understand their clothes are very very expensive. I would be concerned about a poo or sick episode over an outfit costing mega bucks, and which the baby would outgrow in just a few weeks.
Just saying....

paddyann Wed 09-Aug-17 14:13:55

if they can afford the Dolce and Gabbana clothes I dare say they wont be worried about a sicky baby throwing up on them .TBH I never worry about clothes ,no matter what they cost...their just clothes..same with my house ,I have a friend who is obsessive about putting coasters under cups or crumbs on the carpet...cant for the life of me understand why...these things are all replaceable ,it makes me feel quite uncomfortable when she jumps in with a coaster as if her table is of more important than a friendship of almost 40 years

luluaugust Wed 09-Aug-17 14:17:03

Yes fairydoll who would have known it was D & G without the caption, still each to their own. Most of my DC clothes were made or knitted by my mum or myself with a little help from Mothercare. No I don't like the headbands they look so uncomfortable.

gillybob Wed 09-Aug-17 14:24:40

Designer baby clothes are a crazy waste of money but I wouldn't judge anyone for buying them if they can afford it.

more money than sense

Norah Wed 09-Aug-17 14:41:02

I think baby wearing D&G is no different to baby wearing a headband, denim or soft pink coloured cotton. Those clothes are just what the mum wants her child to wear, in the style she wants her child dressed. The answers, here, seem to be about 50-50, but it is still to each mum's choice.

I like baby to be dressed in soft cotton pastels until they have school. My dds dgds think different, buy the clothes they like and dress their baby to their taste. As it should happen, not a whit to do with me. smile

Lillie Wed 09-Aug-17 15:44:05

Our DD shops in Selfridges and dresses her children in Ralph Lauren, Burberry and Gucci. I must say, the quality is excellent, (as are most of the European designer labels), and the garments get worn over and over. (Seriously, the colours remain and the seams are prefect). It isn't lavishness or ostentatiousness on her part because she can afford it and as I said earlier, she gets pleasure from it too. And yes, paddyann and gillybob, you're right, the expensive D & G swimsuit is currently getting sandy, salty and smothered in ice cream in the sun!

downsized Wed 09-Aug-17 16:14:09

Surprised by how many of you feel so strongly about headbands. I never put them on my girls, but DD2 liked to put them on DGD (see photos)and I thought she looked adorable in them. She's six now, very bright, perfect shaped head so I don't think they did her any harm.

Shock, horror! She also has pierced ears grin

Jane10 Wed 09-Aug-17 17:12:52

A friend of ours many years ago was babysitting his young baby son. The baby had one of those big bald heads. Imagine the scene when his mum got home and found that her DH had drawn on the poor baby a full head of hair in brown felt top pen. Indelible ink too! We still Chuckle about it.

Jalima1108 Wed 09-Aug-17 17:17:38

What a lovely smile smile

gillybob Wed 09-Aug-17 17:29:36

She's gorgeous downsized smile

Lillie Wed 09-Aug-17 17:47:46

What a cutie! smile

Crafting Wed 09-Aug-17 19:46:07

Sorry haven't read all the posts and this may have been mentioned before. There was a recent case in the newspaper about a baby who died because the headband was left on when she went to sleep and it slipped down over her nose and mouth. Don't mind if people use them or not just remember to remove before child goes to sleep.

Maggiemaybe Wed 09-Aug-17 22:28:23

Jane10, thanks for the best laugh I've had all day. grin

castle Sun 17-Sep-17 09:54:54

I used to put a clasp in my daughters hair sometimes. As she didn't have much hair people thought she looked like a boy even when she had a pink dress on! On more than one occasion i was asked what's his name? :-)