Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Do you believe in bad luck and how to change it

(43 Posts)
mumski Fri 17-Nov-17 13:38:23

I feel a bit vulnerable asking the question but do you believe in bad luck and if so how it can be "turned around"? We've ha such an appalling 18 months with the deaths of parents, serious illness of my partner (we were told twice he would die but thank goodness he has just come home from hospital) . Loss of earning and all saving gone. My daughter also very poorly and then lost her drivers licence this week... it just goes on and on. Someone remarked yesterday "Whoever is writing the script for your life at the moment should be sacked!!"
I am generally an upbeat person and try and see the good in most people and situations, but lately I've been thinking is there any end to all this bad luck or what ever you want to call it and what could I do to change what's happening to us.?

quizqueen Sat 18-Nov-17 13:33:04

I don't believe in luck- good or bad; things just happen. If people are older they are likely to die sooner. If people are ill it can be because of various factors including those which are self inflicted. If people lose their driving licence maybe through bad driving practices then that is not bad luck, it's the law. If it's because of a medical condition then it's to ensure safety on the road for all users and so on.

Sometimes people's attitude to life can lead them more down the path of thinking everything that happens to them is bad luck but the reverse, of course, is also true.

cc Sat 18-Nov-17 13:41:40

I agree with others that there is really no such thing as bad luck, its just that randomly distributed bad things sometimes happen all at once.

We've had several premature deaths amongst our friends and family in recent times, very sad but all you can really do is to deal with your grief and appreciate that at least you're still around.

And there is always the idea that in ten years time you may well find that the problems you have now will be behind you and forgotten.

I believe that quite a lot of feeling low has to do with optimism and pessimist: I tend to think that if things are very bad they can only get better - others seem to wonder what will go wrong next. If you give up when bad things happen then other problems tend to pile on top of them. If you deal with your problems as they come along it is easier to keep them in proportion. I do appreciate that for people with severe financial problems this would sound trite, as it is so hard to find solutions - please forgive me if this is your position.

Greengage Sat 18-Nov-17 15:41:02

How many times have I said "No one ever said life was going to be easy, and by golly, sometimes it isn't". But I have also found that however bad one's own situation, you can always find someone who is having it tougher.

loopyloo Sat 18-Nov-17 16:08:20

Greengage ,that is so true. When I was working as a nurse I used to go to work feeling fed up about something, but then realised it was nothing to what some people were facing.

Bluegal Sat 18-Nov-17 16:26:51

Agree Mumski, death and illness are all part of life. Not many people escape bad episodes in their lives. When it all comes at once, its hard to swallow.

I always tried to think 'there are people worse off than me'! However, after meeting a guy who had a really bad accident and was left quadriplegic, doubly incontinent, on so much medication he needed round the clock care and whose wife left him because she couldn't cope, hearing HIM say "there are people worse off than me!" made me wonder.....just WHO is it that can say "there is no-one worse off than me?" I took a leaf out of his book and look for positives.

I hope it all turns around for the better for you Humpty - am sure it will.

Bluegal Sat 18-Nov-17 16:27:17

* Mumski - Mean not Humpty - Doh!!!!

Legs55 Sat 18-Nov-17 16:28:06

My FiL used to say "life is not a bowl of cherries", we all experience ups & downs in life, being a Pesimist or an Optimist reflects on the way you deal with the bad times & the good. I'm an Optimist, always look on the bright side, my attitude is to look for a solution when things are bad, I realise not every-one can do this.flowers to cheer you up mumski

Coconut Sat 18-Nov-17 17:41:19

I went thro some bad times and was convinced that even the light at the end of the tunnel was another train coming to squash me ! Even now when everything is fine, I sometimes feel it’s a lull before a storm, however, I have trained my thought process now to just enjoy peace and happiness. Life is a roller coaster as they say ? and when it rains we have to learn to dance in it ! One of my birthday cards said, when life gives you lemons, stick a gin in it !!

sandelf Sat 18-Nov-17 17:50:29

I know some will disagree but these times when you can't cope but you must - this is what religion is for. Helps to feel you are part of something bigger than just you. And to know that things do change. smileX (Smile and Hug)

Daisyboots Sat 18-Nov-17 18:47:47

Mumski, you have had an awful year but things will change. 3 years ago I had a terrible time and then last year when things were looking up I lost the 3 closest people who had known me most of my life. But this year has been much happier. So make the most of your husband's recovery. Money isn't everything but things are bound to look up. So keep your chin up and be positive

Hollycat Sat 18-Nov-17 18:49:02

So sorry you are having such a rotten time Mumski. I believe we all have a period when we are engulfed by awfulness and unfortunately you are experiencing yours now. It WILL get better, it really will, I'm afraid you just have to grit your teeth and press on, don't look over your shoulder for something else creeping up on you, just forward and you will get there. On a lighter note, when things went wrong, my grandmother used to bake a cake in an eggshell. She said fairies would never stay in a house where there was such meanness. Did it work? Well, she thought so! Best wishes xx

GannyRowe Sun 19-Nov-17 00:17:52

Bless you, you really have been through the mill haven't you!
My life has been pretty dreadful over the last decade, and if our lives are planned by some cosmic force, I think it's about time he went for retraining! But, I try and be positive, it could most certainly have been a while lot worse, and for that I'm grateful. One step at a time, one day at a time, one minute at a time if needs be. You can't change the past, but you can change how the past governs how you face the future, and a lot of your future is in how you look at things. No more woe is me......and I'm not accusing you of that. But much more of there is the future.......bring it on! I always think that my next life will be bloody fantastic to make up for a lot of crap in this one. May I wish you the same for yours.

Vange Sun 19-Nov-17 06:56:36

mumski - you may find it helpful to go to see a counsellor or therapist (possibly through your GP). Talking things through with a professional can be very helpful. If you don't fancy that, or it's not possible for any reason, you might set aside 5 - 10 minutes a day to sit quietly and meditate. This is NOT anything complicated, or necessarily religious or spiritual - just time to relax your mind, &, after a few sessions, start to introduce some positive messages to yourself - 'I hope for', 'I deserve good things', 'I will be happy again'. Hope this helps. Very best wishes to you & your family.

Friday Sun 19-Nov-17 08:13:26

Some people bring ‘bad luck’ on themselves by sheer stupidity. But events like you, and others, mention mumski are just the sad events that can happen to any of us.

hulahoop Sun 19-Nov-17 09:44:52

It's true some people seem to sail through life others seem to get nothing but problem after problem that's just how it is .try to look at the positives like your oh coming home hope you get several positives in a cluster now.

Nonnie Sun 19-Nov-17 10:01:03

I have recently been thinking about karma and the saying that what goes around comes around so what did I do that was so £&%$^ awful in my younger years?

Yes, I have a wonderful close family and 2 amazing DiLs but other parts of my life are beyond reason. The only reason I am still living is because I couldn't put my family through what I am going through with the loss of my son and the bitterness of his wife. Luck, bad luck, who knows but I do know that some very selfish people, completely lacking in empathy never seem to have anything bad happen to them. Bitter me? You bet i am

KatyK Sun 19-Nov-17 10:25:54

When I complain to my DH about all the bad stuff that's happened in our family and to me he says 'luck of the draw - what's the point of complaining'. He's had cancer and gruelling treatment and I never once heard him complain. The problem is when you get trouble after trouble it can knock your confidence and you find it hard to keep bouncing back. I also get slightly bitter Nonnie when I see (sometimes not very nice) people sailing through it all.