Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Has anyone got Phil Vickery's address?

(34 Posts)
phoenix Tue 26-Dec-17 11:29:34

I need to send him the bill for a new hob! sad

If there was prize for who cooked the most expensive turkey, I think I would definitely be in the running.

After years of using the Delia method, I decided (after reading the testimonials) to give the Phil a go!

Mr P very kindly went to the village shop on Christmas Eve to get a bottle of "cheap" white wine.

Now, with the prices the village shop charges, it wasn't exactly "cheap" but I couldn't warrant using one of our half decent bottles, and I definitely wasn't going to ask him to do battle in any of the supermarkets!

So, I made my stuffing, checked that the bird was completely defrosted and relaxed safe in the knowledge that the next day I would be serving the most juicy, succulent turkey that had ever been eaten at Chez Phoenix. wink

The day dawned, presents were opened, Bucks Fizz and a delicious brunch enjoyed. Washing up done, I set to with The Bird.

Onions and carrots chopped, stuffing inserted, wine and stock added, vast quantities of foil at the ready, oven pre heated.

We placed the roasting tin/baking tray across 2 burners of the hob, and turned them on. After a while, I became convinced that the tray wasn't sitting properly on the hob, bent down to peer at it from close quarters.

As I did so, I heard A Noise confused

Not the noise of wine and stock starting to bubble, or even the noise of the fan on the oven. Both of these noises would have been perfectly acceptable, and indeed welcomed.

This noise can only be described as a "slightly muffled bang", which we both decided was definitely firmly in the category of the wrong noise shock

The hob had cracked.

Auntieflo Tue 26-Dec-17 14:06:51

Oh Phoenix, disaster. Can you claim on your insurance? I don't know why we do theses things. Perfect ways of managing for years, so why do we feel the need to meddle?
After the gammon saga, by the way, did you get it cooked? Just now I imagine the wine has had a good glugging.
Happy New Year my love.wine wine wine

ginny Tue 26-Dec-17 14:07:33

If you get his address please let me know. I’d like to visit.

ginny Tue 26-Dec-17 14:09:39

Sorry about your job but if you get his address , please let me know. I’d like to visit.

ginny Tue 26-Dec-17 14:10:32

Oh,good grief ! Hob.

Telly Tue 26-Dec-17 14:13:09

Oh, didn't see that coming. Hope its insured.

shysal Tue 26-Dec-17 15:16:18

I feel bad Phoenix, for bringing up the Phil Vickery turkey method sad. It seems odd that a hob would ever crack, is it a gas or electric one? Perhaps it was due to contact between the foil and the burner.
My turkey was the most succulent yet. Hope yours was edible despite the disaster.

harrigran Tue 26-Dec-17 15:33:08

I found my hob cracked a week or two ago, have no idea how it happened, bit worrying.

Fennel Tue 26-Dec-17 15:45:24

I thought Phil Vickery was an ex-rugby union player, a member of the 2003 England team when they won the world cup.
Is this the same person?

Iam64 Tue 26-Dec-17 16:04:47

What a tale of woe phoenix and harrigran another with a hob that cracked. Can I ask, were the hobs those modern things with glass ? I only ask because my gas hob is threatened with extinction according to those who want us to stop using gas.

phoenix Tue 26-Dec-17 16:06:46

shysal, now, stop that at once!

I had one of those disposable foil turkey roasting trays, which I had placed INSIDE one of the big baking trays from my oven, the foil was between the disposable tray and the enamalled oven tray, which was in direct contact with the ceramic (non induction) hob.

I thought that I had posted about what we did next, and the end result, but it seems to have disappeared confused

shysal Tue 26-Dec-17 17:04:17

Fennel, this is not the rugby player. He is a TV chef who is married Fern Britton. They were on Ready Steady Cook together many moons ago.

phoenix Tue 26-Dec-17 17:14:27

Yes, the hob is glass, (no mains gas out here in the sticks!) had it since buying the house in 2005.

To those who mentioned insurance, to be honest I think that by the time we might have to faff about, plus the possible (inevitable?) increase in the cost of the premiums, it's probably not worth it.

Well, to post again what I thought I had posted, we took it off the hob, whole kit and caboodle,wine, stock and all, bunged it in the oven and cooked it to Delia's timings.

Result? Very juicy, tasty, succulent! I think I may have accidentally invented my own combination method! grin

Iam64 Tue 26-Dec-17 18:17:16

Well done phoenix, triumph out of disaster. I had a 5 burner gas hob in my posh new kitchen, much against the young kitchen designer/fitters wishes. He warned me "they" would be stopping us using gas before long and strongly advised those new fangled things instead.

Niobe Tue 26-Dec-17 18:40:18

I always use Delia's method. Can't beat it!

phoenix Tue 26-Dec-17 18:49:22

Well, no point in getting all of a do over things you can't change.

Having said that, I wish that everyone had someone like "Appliance John"!

I had a look on ao.com for a replacement, they could deliver quite promptly (28th) quoted£89.99 for fitting.

Got in touch with local chap named above to see when he might be available to fit, and how much.

He replied within the hour, today, Boxing Day! shock Not only that, could have supplied and fitted today for £229? Unfortunately it would have been an induction hob, so no good for me.

His standard charge for fitting is £45. He has twice fixed my washing machine (12 years old, most try to persuade me to replace) first time total cost, £45, last time, £35!

shysal Wed 27-Dec-17 08:49:58

Suspect the foil container underneath the turkey might have reflected the heat back down towards the hob causing it to overheat. I am no physicist but seems logical, in which case you can't blame Phil!
It will have been no fun without a hob, hope you have a microwave. Good luck with the new one!

pamdixon Wed 27-Dec-17 10:40:36

Delia never let's you down. I've been cooking turkeys her way for longer than I are to think about - always works for me I wouldn't dare try another method.

sarahellenwhitney Wed 27-Dec-17 10:44:23

Phoenix Don't give up on an insurance claim to get your new hob.Are you insured for contents.?You will pay the 'excess', the amount having been your choice when you took out the policy, to the insurance assessor then shop around for your new hob and with labour costs present this to your insurer.Your insurance company will not increase your premium based on that claim However should it come to it then change your provider There are many who would love to have you as a customer .Go get that new hob.

Grampie Wed 27-Dec-17 10:47:58

Your induction hob may not be designed to heat one pan placed on two heating zones at the same time.

I suggest that you consult your user manual or your manufacturer.

But thanks for the publicity,

Phil

Skweek1 Wed 27-Dec-17 10:54:13

Bad luck all who had cooking nightmares - our main issue was with actual food we'd bought and then panics when we couldn't find things. (we've absolutely no space for storage!). DH will insist on buying equipment sponsored by Heston Blumenthal. I don't do cookery programmes and particularly loathe Heston who I find silly and pretentious and his equipment (a company called Sage, whether or not to do with the accountancy software, I don't know!) - even the kettle, which was one of the first with adjustable water temperatures), is now becoming superseded and not the best on the market, is hit and miss - doesn't cut out when it reaches temperature and the buttons can be more than somewhat temperamental, sometimes needing 5 or 6 presses.

anneey Wed 27-Dec-17 11:06:07

Oh Phoenix, what a terrible disaster. How did you manage to cook the veg and gravy? Or have I missed your comments.
I have to say I did use the Phil Vicary method, and was so delighted with the results that vowed to use it forever.
It has made me think about such a disaster happening at anytime.
I am planning on purchasing a camping stove for emergencies....such as a power cut.

Matriark Wed 27-Dec-17 11:12:14

That’s a panic you could do without on Christmas Day, Phoenix! My turkey was delicious, (thanks Delia), as was the ham. And all the trimmings turned out beautifully. But in spite of cooking for a large group every year, I still haven’t cracked the mystery of portion control. I always worry that there won’t be enough, but his year, I was determined not to over-cater, and in spite of Mr M’s scepticism, it looked like I’d cracked it. All twelve of us tucked in, with plates heaped with food. Yesterday, I served up the same meal to eight
stalwarts, complete with gravy, and followed by a selection of desserts - entirely from the leftovers. Maybe next year... ?

Diggingdoris Wed 27-Dec-17 11:22:37

Talking of hobs, we had everything ready for dishing up with just the veg to cook. Turned all four rings on (electric) , daughter and I stood chatting nearby when suddenly hob went off. Nothing , no power on it. I checked the trip switch in garage, nothing wrong there, so quick thinking required. Veg put in dishes and a conveyor belt to the microwave for the carrots, broccoli, Brussels, runners etc.for a few minutes zap. We managed it eventually and had a lovely dinner. Later on I checked the isolator plug, only to find the fuse had blown. So a quick fix, fortunately. A xmas dinner to remember though.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 27-Dec-17 11:33:21

There are two Phil Vickery's Fennel and both of them can cook! The rugby chap did very well on Masterchef a few years ago, he may even have won. He's very welcome to come to my house and cook dinner any time he likes.